1954 Chris Craft Commander Express by mtdoramike - Dumas - 36"

On 6/2/2017 at 8:45 PM, Steve 12345 said:

Buetifull build mike I've just started a very old kit from a company called keilkraft ,it's  rc kit of a fast patrol boat but I'm turning it into a luxury yaght and will follow your build with interest for ideas 

thanks

steve 

Hey Steve, we would love to see your kit and progress on your build. I love these old kits.

• 1 month later...

I have not been able to do much hobby work for the past several weeks, I have been fighting a bout of Pmonia and it has really kicked my old behind. I have just now started moving around and feeling a lot better, but still a might weak and get winded quite easily. But the breathing treatments are helping quite a bit. I think I picked it up while visiting relatives in the Virgin Islands last month. But hope to get bbaack to it very soon. I'm starting to feel the itch again. 

Sorry to hear you've been ill Mike, but glad to hear you're on the mend and will be back at the bench soon.

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might use epoxy for both tasks. The shafts maybe need a box form inside to give it a little bit of depth so the epoxy won't easily crack. Maybe just an 1/8", maybe 1/4" deep or so. The brackets I think I would epoxy in place on the hull and not drill it. If I did drill it, it would be to insert small wooden dowels that I could sand smooth once the epoxy had cured. 

Granted, they would not be readily removable after that, but it would eliminate the worry of leaks. 

Thinking about it some more, the places in the hull where the shafts come through might be well suited for epoxy putty. Just tape the outside of the hull so the epoxy does not run out, then form up that putty inside the hull and around those shaft housings. I'll bet you could just mix micro balloons with slow set epoxy to make your own putty. Your local hobby shop may have some pre-made two part epoxy putty ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

don't know quite yet, no buyer as yet. ebay only as a last resort. I will list her here on the classifieds as well as the classifieds on RCgroups.com. I'm mainly only want to get what I have in it build wise. I figure $650.00 plus shipping would be close.

RCgroups was/is a great venue to sell a model like yours. I've had great success selling and trading items there. Just make sure the potential buyer has a good reputation as some people these days just try to rip off buyers and sellers alike.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, gktool said:

Nice build , great job on details.

Do u still have the plans ?

I would be willing to buy a set , I do more scratchbuilds now.

Thanks , Gary 

Hi Gary, yes, I have the plans, but as far as using them to scratch build is another question. These plans are not to scale and are quite smaller than the actual build. They are mainly used to help the builder during the build.Dumas offers the plans on their website for $25.00.