18th Century Longboat by Tigersteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways

This is my first build. Since there are many great logs on this model, I will provide brief progress updates. Due to a "tree nailing" mishap I started over with replacement parts from Model Expo. Btw- it's no more fun to plank this a second time around!

I have the English Pinnace waiting on the side. I intend to display both models together if I'm pleased with the results. We will see.

Steve

IMG_3125.JPG

Steve, you have gotten long into your build log, it all looks so good and clean. You will be done in short time.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I appreciate the kind words and all the likes. I think I forgot to mention that this build started in June! I am trying not to rush it but am also anxious to finish it up. I have to stop planning the next builds! Although I already have Chuck's Mayflower in mind for the third build. Off to more sanding. Pray nothing breaks! Steve

Inboard sanding is complete. Took several days- what a tight space at the bow! Cap rail turned out pretty well. Lots of sanding because I cut it way off scale at first. Had to do surgery on one small section. Have a bit more sanding to do.

Steve

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

Steve,

You got that right, a lot of sanding is needed. But the outcome is well worth it.

Your longboat looks really nice.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Looks like you are coming along just fine, isn't that sanding a treat? ;)

Edited by donrobinson

Thanks everyone for the likes! Yes- sanding is fantastic and I have a feeling the key to a good finish. A bit more sanding to go on the outside of the cap rail then off to the freezes and other outer moulding. I'm going to see if I can prep the freezes, cut them out and fit on the moulding before I stain and poly.

Option 1: stain and poly before applying the moulding. Option 2: use the freeze to fit the moulding before stain and poly. We shall see... anxious to get this boat stained and poly applied. I like BobFs extra strip under the moulding. I may attempt that one too.

Steve

TigerSteve,

Fixate the freezer with hairspray before handling them, this to avoid smudging them.

Respectfully

Don't thank me, it's a tip from our own Chuck.

Did you download the new freezes from the locked instructions of Chuck's. Turned out that many provided in the kits were to small.

Respectfully

Thank you, everyone. Yes I did read about the hairspray trick. Did some research though and was also prepared to purchase proper fixative because there's some debate on the long term effects of hairspray. I'm giving Minwax Polycrylic clear satin a try since I have it. Yes- I have many freezes now. Applied two coats. Gives a bit of a sheen but it looks protected.

Steve

IMG_3129.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

Your planking looks great and the whole thing looks very sharp and clean.

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Ok fellow builders- one coat of pre-stain and then one coat of natural stain. Cut out the freezes. What a pain! I will apply these after I apply WOP. I think I will paint the cap rail after the WOP is applied and freezes are on along w the moulding strip that needs to be applied.

Special thanks to the stain for highlighting the imperfections!

Steve

IMG_3130.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

Steve,

That looks so nice. Well done!

Question: Don you have a good time with the build?

I found it both challenging and fun, and I am not done yet.

Respectfully

Looks very good.  I like that the stain makes the color variations in the planks stand out a bit more, really emphasizes that they are actually little wood planks.

Nirvana- I'm enjoying it a lot more now that the planking is done. It's an extremely challenging kit!

Gunther- I think it does add character. Originally I selected all similar colored planks but as I started to break the planks when bending, the wood became more varied. I'm still pretty happy with it. It's smoother than it looks. Sanded with 220 then 320 then 400 sandpaper.

Thank you both for the kind words. It is much appreciated! 

Steve

Applied the freezes and moulding strip below. I advise that you apply the moulding strips first as it was tricky to keep the freezes pristine. I applied one coat natural stain to the moulding the night before. I left the transom freeze off. I thought the model looked better without. At least I think mine does. Painting the cap rail is next.

Steve

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

Steve,

Those freeze looks sharp.

Great job done!

Respectfully

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give a quick update. I've been painting the cap rail and inside Tamiya flat red. The photo shows three coats. It's not as clean as I want yet so there's more sanding and paint ahead. I'm not thrilled with the brushes I am using so I will get some new ones before the next project. It's a tricky area to paint!

Steve

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

Nice work, the painting looks good. I found that paint brushes are not the place to cheap out on, a good brush does make a big difference. Looking forward to more updates

Thanks for all the likes everyone. As most of you, I have ridiculously high standards for my work. That being said I really want to try to figure out a way to sand the inside planks where it's painted red to get a better finish. I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort. Especially when it might not be noticed after all the other inboard details are done. What do you guys think?

Steve

Floorboards and simulated nails are just about done. I need to erase the guiding pencil lines tomorrow. I used a fine tip black pen for the nails. Loved Bob Fs method of using black paint brush bristles but that method would have surely stressed me out. I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

Steve

IMG_3137.JPG

Chuck, thank you for saying so and thank you everyone for the likes. I appreciate the encouragement. This is a very challenging kit. I like how Model Expo advertises it as an intro for ship modeling. Suppose it's partially because of the excellent practicum. Anyways-I didn't expect it to be easy. Great kit, Chuck! I have your Pinnace and Mayflower next in line.

Steve

Just a quick update. I'm on attempt three at making the platforms. Notching them out kept splitting the wood. I was able to make the front platform and notch it out but when it was mounted the planks were not straight. So frustrated!

I will add some glue inbetween the planks this time and hope it will keep the notched areas from splitting.

Steve

Steve,

Make paper template of the platform and glue the planks in place. Let dry.

Notch carefully, in segments.

Hope that will help.

Respectfully

I don't know if this would work with your kit model but I built the bow platform and the stern sheet platform for a longboat that I am building by first fitting a piece of very thin model builders plywood That is available as thin as 1/64 in (approximately 1/2 mm). I then glued the boxwood planking to the plywood.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett