18th Century Longboat by Tigersteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Thanks for the advice. Below is the set of paper templates I had made. That basswood is tricky. Maybe notching the segments before I glue might work better. I think the extra glue should help too.

Steve

post-25621-0-94304900-1479343358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tigersteve

• 2 weeks later...

Platforms are done. Nailheads are not as crisp as I wanted but they'll have to do. I glued the edges of the strips where the notches would be. Thank you Erik for the file recommendation. Huge help! Risers are next.

Steve

post-25621-0-93240200-1480083814_thumb.jpg

post-25621-0-17363100-1480083826_thumb.jpg

IMG_3138.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

Steve, the support strips under made a huge difference.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I've been back and forth about this all day. I'm not really happy with the nailhead effect I was going for. They seem out of scale to me and definitely not as clean as should be. I have taken off the platforms and sanded the ink off and done the same with the floorboards. I will re-stain and re-glue. Definitely been getting good practice while working on this kit! I know I wouldn't have been happy if I left it the way it was. I will post a picture when this is remedied.

Steve

Steve,

I think it's always good to go with your gut feeling on the urge to redo things. Part of the learning curve is attempting an idea, and then taking it in a different direction if you aren't happy with the results. Also, glad my advice with the files helped you!

Erik

beautiful work Steve,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Applied the freezes and moulding strip below. I advise that you apply the moulding strips first as it was tricky to keep the freezes pristine. I applied one coat natural stain to the moulding the night before. I left the transom freeze off. I thought the model looked better without. At least I think mine does. Painting the cap rail is next.

Steve

Steve, 

your "caulking" of the hull plank edges prior to mounting pays off... ;) , I like the effect very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I like your latest revision.  Your Longboat has a very clean look to it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thank you for the kind words. They are a great motivator for me. Trying to keep it as clean as possible without going nuts. Although it's easier said than done. This kit looks simple but it's extremely challenging as you know. I look forward to sharing more progress. I'm taking it slow. Life really slows the build down.

Steve

Risers installed. Another tricky install. They are as symmetrical as I could get them. No grooves. Wasted too much wood. I will try on the thwarts.

Steve

post-25621-0-10401300-1480471797_thumb.jpg

Steve,

My risers wound up not having any grooves either.  I scribed the grooves into them, but the kit supplied wood was of such poor quality that when I stained them the grooves disappeared!!  Getting the risers shaped properly and glued in the correct place was one of the more difficult parts of the whole build!  Yours came out well.  It looks good.

Erik

Thanks Erik. I guess we'll see how correct they are when I install the thwarts! The grooves were working out ok but not as neat as I wanted. Then I was running out of that size strip. Decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Steve

Hola Tigersteve:

To be your first model it is outstanding.  Felicidades!!!

Saludos, Karl 

Installed the front face of the locker. It's a little less than 1/16" thick. I was out of 1/32" sheet stock from the kit (used it all for the cap rail). It will be covered anyway with the lid. Cut and shaped all the thwarts with the exception of the one that will accept the mast. Left out the grooves. I did a set of thwarts with them but it didn't add much. Boxwood would have looked better with the grooves.

This was another tricky production. Installation was easy after they were shaped. Do not doubt- this is an advanced kit for a reason!

Steve

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

I've been working on shaping the thwart that will accept the mast. Cockpit seats are stained and installed. Here's some photos, which also include the first coat of paint on the metal work: lift rings and metal for the mast braces. Wow- these parts are small!

Steve

IMG_3146.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

Steve

Yes, those details are small but also a great training in patience.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Some more progress on the metal work. Lift rings and thwart accepting the mast installed. The locker lid is complete and the mast step is also installed. The locker hinges are next. I think she is getting there!

Steve

post-25621-0-64638800-1481996702_thumb.jpg

Steve,

You are getting close to the fun part. The rigging.

Is Christmas your deadline? ;)

Respectfully

Thanks everyone for your support. Haha- I know that riggging will pose a whole new set of challenges so I will not be finished soon. Also, I have intentions of displaying the Pinnace with this boat so I want to complete all aspects of this build except the rigging and come back to it when the Pinnace is complete. I'm going to have to decide if it will make sense to display these two together.

Steve

I really thought it would be smooth sailing from here until the rigging started. I was wrong. I sanded all of the laser cut knees. When I removed and dry fitted the knee that goes at the bow I discovered that the my cap rail shape (inboard) did not match shape of the knee that is supposed to go there. I spent some time scratch building this particular knee. Not successful yet. It will take a little time.

Sorry no photos of the failure. Needed to post my frustration. Merry Christmas in the meantime! Next post after all is resolved and knees are painted and installed. Locker hinges should be complete by then also.

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

It's been slow going but lots of progress. All knees were shaped, painted, and installed. The one at the bow was most difficult. These parts seem to get smaller and smaller! Locker hinges are installed. I painted the brass strips black and used the eye hooks as hinges. I left those unpainted for contrast. Oar locks and windlass are next!

Stevepost-25621-0-55518500-1482940024_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tigersteve

Steve,

A tip of the hat to you.  Your longboat is exceptional. I will soon have to build three of these, albeit in 1/64 scale and hope they look half as good as yours.

Happy Holidays.

Much appreciated. Thank you. I'm just trying to follow the footsteps of some of the folks who have done a great job building her. From seeing your work I think your boats will turn out great. I can't imagine doing this at a smaller scale. This boat is only 6 1/2 inches!

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

I'm curious what you will do with the "bread and butter" boats that come with the kit. Scratch building them will prob take a while although so will the other method. Looking forward to what you do with them.

Steve