18th Century Longboat by Tigersteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Some interesting updates to report. In what I call another placement reference photo, the gaff is rigged and the rope coil where the beads are threaded was made from black thread included with the kit. One additional tan rope coil needs to be added for the throat halyard before its final placement. 

The photo with the gaff in the vise shows the method I used for the seizing. I place a drop of CA where the knot will be located and then tighten the knot over the CA. Snip off the excess when the glue dries. 

The shroud pairs were seized around the mast using the method shown in the following photo. Final adjustments will be made before it's mounted permanently. 

Steve

whip-rope.jpg

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

Nice work, I sure like the colour of that red on the railings

Before mounting the longboat permanently, a decision had to be made about final placement of the oars and mast. I decided to keep the oars closer to the boat so the mast details would not be obscured. I also updated the photo in my previous post. Nothing is glued yet, but soon. Lots of planning for this type of presentation. Very enjoyable process. 

Steve

IMG_3111.JPG

Two more reference photos are shown. The windlass handles will not be installed into the windlass, but placed as shown in the photos. Installed, they took up too much needed space. 

There's a lot more to do, but I wanted to get some feedback on the rudder placement. Installed or stowed?  Any thoughts? There will be a rope coil placed on the aft platform and one on the port side cockpit seat.   

Steve

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

Stowed for the rudder Steve. That was standard practice.

I really like the display you've chosen, it puts the boat in its natural setting without being distracting. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Rudder stowed does make sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me, gentlemen. 

I made two more hooks that I seized with tan rope so the longboat can be lashed down later in the project. The grapnel anchor was also seized with tan rope. I did this with brown at first but wasn't satisfied with the result. Finally, the traveler ring was made from 28 gauge wire.

Steve

IMG_3154.JPG

Completed rigging the boom, gaff, and bowsprit. As done previously, the length of rope was taken from the rigging plan. Rope coils for the boom and gaff will be completed before they are stowed. I think the rope coil for the grapnel and its installation will be next. After that, the oars and boat can be mounted on the display before the final staging. 

I believe I've wasted more rigging material than was included in the kit! Good thing I purchased other material. 

Steve

IMG_3156.JPG

Completed grapnel anchor installed. This was done in three layers: one line looped over the thwart, one rope coil over that, and another rope coil attached to the grapnel. I can see why Bob F removed the thwart to work in this tight space.

Steve

IMG_3172.JPG

Everything looks great. Good clean work

All rope was cut to length according to the rigging plan. Coils for the backstays were created first. After these were in position and adjusted with watered down white glue and a paintbrush, I placed the stropped blocks. 

A light colored rope coil was created for the flag. This was placed starboard, forward of the deadeyes. I created the rope coil for the peak halyard and placed it on the aft belay pin on the port side.

The staysail halyard was next. Its rope coil, originally intended for the adjacent belay pin, settled itself on a starboard pair of oarlocks. One of the smaller blocks that I stropped with a hook was placed at the bow.

I included a photo of the paintbrush I've been using to form most of the coils. It's tapered so it can be used for creating different size coils. I have no idea how this brush actually paints, but it's great for this purpose! The most challenging part of this process is getting the coils to hang naturally. I hope that my results are acceptable. Much more to do before completion.

Steve

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

Rope coils for the lanyards were created and placed in pairs around the deadeyes. There are five total, including one at the bow. A photo below shows my setup for rope coil production.

Although I'm fairly happy with the results, I know the rope is a bit out of scale and wish I had purchased Syren rope from the start.

Steve

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

Len, thank you for saying so. I appreciate everyone's interest and support. It's getting close. Four more rope coils to go!

Steve

That's a lot of rope coils! +1 for your patience.

Also thanks for your tip regarding the xken logs. I checked it out and it's very useful to me as you said regarding "small stuff" technique.

Mike

Mike, my patience is certainly being tested at this stage of the build. I'm glad Ken's logs are helping you. They are impressive. 

Jct, I'm glad you like the presentation I've chosen. I have some variation in the rope coils coming soon. Stay tuned...

Steve

The length of rope for the jibsail halyard was taken from the rigging plan and placed in a rope coil on the floorboards, aft the windlass. This coil was seized with light colored rope. 

A gasket coil was created next from the remaining line on the gaff. Included is a reference photo of this type of coil. 

The remaining line on the boom was placed in a coil on the aft platform. When these steps were complete, the remaining staging could take place and a final rope coil could be created for the remaining lanyard at the stern. Lashing the boat is next.

Steve

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

Steve,

I truly like what you have done to the Longboat.

It's a lot of rigging line to coil for the right length of lines according to the plans.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks guys! It was not easy to accomplish these results. It was important to me to include all rigging detail from the rigging plan in a strategic way that made sense. Also important was to highlight all the small details and avoid a cluttered look.

Photos of the overall model will follow upon completion... very soon. 

Steve

Completed longboat! I appreciate everyone's interest and support throughout this project. I'm looking into a case as well since the overall size of the model is compact. I will keep you all posted. 

Steve

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

Steve, the best part of it, will be the case as you will get a nice proportional one for the boat.

Beautiful done!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I came across this company a while ago while researching display cases. They make acrylic products and seem perfect for this purpose. http://kreativeacrylics.com/

Included is a photo from their website of a diorama display case. The base has grooves where the cover sits on top. I don't have the appropriate power tools at this point to craft a wooden base, but could always do this in the future. 

The dimensions of the completed model are 8.5" x 4" at its base and 3" tall. Feedback is much appreciated here on how much buffer to leave at each dimension so the model does not look suffocated. I'm thinking 1"?

Steve

IMG_3298.JPG