Tigersteve

18th Century Longboat by Tigersteve - Model Shipways

126 posts in this topic

Some interesting updates to report. In what I call another placement reference photo, the gaff is rigged and the rope coil where the beads are threaded was made from black thread included with the kit. One additional tan rope coil needs to be added for the throat halyard before its final placement. 

The photo with the gaff in the vise shows the method I used for the seizing. I place a drop of CA where the knot will be located and then tighten the knot over the CA. Snip off the excess when the glue dries. 

The shroud pairs were seized around the mast using the method shown in the following photo. Final adjustments will be made before it's mounted permanently. 

Steve

whip-rope.jpg

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

Before mounting the longboat permanently, a decision had to be made about final placement of the oars and mast. I decided to keep the oars closer to the boat so the mast details would not be obscured. I also updated the photo in my previous post. Nothing is glued yet, but soon. Lots of planning for this type of presentation. Very enjoyable process. 

Steve

IMG_3111.JPG

MEDDO, Karleop, Cathead and 2 others like this

Two more reference photos are shown. The windlass handles will not be installed into the windlass, but placed as shown in the photos. Installed, they took up too much needed space. 

There's a lot more to do, but I wanted to get some feedback on the rudder placement. Installed or stowed?  Any thoughts? There will be a rope coil placed on the aft platform and one on the port side cockpit seat.   

Steve

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

Karleop, samueljr and jwvolz like this

Stowed for the rudder Steve. That was standard practice.

I really like the display you've chosen, it puts the boat in its natural setting without being distracting. 

Tigersteve and Nirvana like this