Tigersteve

18th Century Longboat by Tigersteve - Model Shipways

133 posts in this topic

Some interesting updates to report. In what I call another placement reference photo, the gaff is rigged and the rope coil where the beads are threaded was made from black thread included with the kit. One additional tan rope coil needs to be added for the throat halyard before its final placement. 

The photo with the gaff in the vise shows the method I used for the seizing. I place a drop of CA where the knot will be located and then tighten the knot over the CA. Snip off the excess when the glue dries. 

The shroud pairs were seized around the mast using the method shown in the following photo. Final adjustments will be made before it's mounted permanently. 

Steve

whip-rope.jpg

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

donrobinson, MEDDO, Cathead and 6 others like this

Before mounting the longboat permanently, a decision had to be made about final placement of the oars and mast. I decided to keep the oars closer to the boat so the mast details would not be obscured. I also updated the photo in my previous post. Nothing is glued yet, but soon. Lots of planning for this type of presentation. Very enjoyable process. 

Steve

IMG_3111.JPG

Two more reference photos are shown. The windlass handles will not be installed into the windlass, but placed as shown in the photos. Installed, they took up too much needed space. 

There's a lot more to do, but I wanted to get some feedback on the rudder placement. Installed or stowed?  Any thoughts? There will be a rope coil placed on the aft platform and one on the port side cockpit seat.   

Steve

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

Rudder stowed does make sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me, gentlemen. 

I made two more hooks that I seized with tan rope so the longboat can be lashed down later in the project. The grapnel anchor was also seized with tan rope. I did this with brown at first but wasn't satisfied with the result. Finally, the traveler ring was made from 28 gauge wire.

Steve

IMG_3154.JPG

Completed rigging the boom, gaff, and bowsprit. As done previously, the length of rope was taken from the rigging plan. Rope coils for the boom and gaff will be completed before they are stowed. I think the rope coil for the grapnel and its installation will be next. After that, the oars and boat can be mounted on the display before the final staging. 

I believe I've wasted more rigging material than was included in the kit! Good thing I purchased other material. 

Steve

IMG_3156.JPG

Completed grapnel anchor installed. This was done in three layers: one line looped over the thwart, one rope coil over that, and another rope coil attached to the grapnel. I can see why Bob F removed the thwart to work in this tight space.

Steve

IMG_3172.JPG