Howard W. Middleton by kayakerlarry - FINISHED - scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Here's a view from the opposite direction where you can see the "deadly" rock just exposed at a very low tide.  

And here is current progress - almost done.  Installed mizzen backstay and working on main/fore mast backstays.  Cherry base has final coat of finishing oil and final work to be done on installing centerboard, rudder and dinghy - all ready to go once model is placed onto 3/32" brass rods on base.   Will post final pictures once complete.

nwOLz2QCRuWjDzfXBrEgXQ.jpg

QxdFSBlcRr2JMV8iMT6mHg.jpg

Larry

Current Build:          New Bedford Whaleboat by Model Shipways scale 1:16

Completed Builds:  Cape Cod Nimblet Knockabouts - Loon, Hawk, Gull and Falcon

Howard W. Middleton scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Susan P.  scale 1:24 - Maine Lobster Boat by Freedom Song Boatworks

Yacht America scale 1:96 by Marine Models

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 12 1/2 scale 1:12

Thermopylae scale 1:124 - English Tea Clipper by Mantua Models

Roar Ege - Roskilde, Denmark Coastal Trader Viking Ship

Base with 2 brass plaques complete!  

IoAQn0yMR%CgqiFUo2OwwA.jpg

3H6ULv7GRFqcftnmWL+Tcg.jpg

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

FINISHED!!!!!!  Only took me 26 years since measurements were taken of actual wreck on beach and 5 years from first purchase of wood for model - now what am I going to do for the next 26 years????  A few final pics before I put on glass case top and move to final resting place...

l+qpOlPySa2xASth5brAxA.jpg

UABR+NmeR1OpzHMOaa9Kuw.jpg

fePy7gVFSyaMmePcFOUZoQ.jpg

j7fKY%bTTRCsGzppbOnZbw.jpg

+EtZQqhDQ1+g3u47kfQ8HQ.jpg

87ojTWkOSeiZTkrDlkmJXA.jpg

yxxp8MayRDGQQsIv4UBDIA.jpg

Larry

Congratulations!!!  Looks great, Larry.  Am looking forward to seeing pics of her in her case.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Mark.  Here is her final resting place on stair landing - we are going to do a kitchen/living room reno and perhaps she will get the place of honor in the living room built in...

Model Shipways New Bedford Whaleboat just arrived today so hopefully this one won't take me 5 years!

Thanks for everyone's support and guidance.

Larry

FdvpCK8VTA6qeUIozlOzeQ.jpg

A3QDFUrVReOBxaQKyun%ow.jpg

l4cHGrtBSquA1FVLYGeXRQ.jpg

Larry

Congratulations Larry the model looks great in the final location.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Larry, she is an astonishing  beauty. Like most of the unseen beautys she is a workhorse not a warship. Lokal history offers often amaizing storys about interesting ships far away from the „big history“ we all think we know about. 

Thanks a lot  for this interesting lesson about a part of history. 

Dealing with books about british steam colliers - I have to get some practice o start a big scratch project at all - I understand your project very well. Theres still a plenty of models to be build. Aren't there thousands of wrecks all around the coastline - fourmasted saltpeter fullships, brigs and brigantines to sunken ketches or market schooners?

The New Bedford Whalebote is a honorable following project - when ready we are aware of your adding the 1:16 fitting threemasted whaling ship WANDERER* of New Bedford to the whalingboat... 😉

*there are ready drawn and printed plans avaible on the internet - you would just have to enlarge them a bit.

Edited by Heinrich der Seefahrer
Resizing my bad English

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

10 hours ago, kayakerlarry said:

Thanks, Mark.  Here is her final resting place on stair landing - we are going to do a kitchen/living room reno and perhaps she will get the place of honor in the living room built in...

Model Shipways New Bedford Whaleboat just arrived today so hopefully this one won't take me 5 years!

Thanks for everyone's support and guidance.

Larry

FdvpCK8VTA6qeUIozlOzeQ.jpg

A3QDFUrVReOBxaQKyun%ow.jpg

l4cHGrtBSquA1FVLYGeXRQ.jpg

Hello Larry, please don't forget to turn the showing case from time to time around. This due to the fading of the colours by the sunlight. I know white and black are no colours but beige and anthrazit will be then.

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

• 7 months later...

Great job! I visit the HWM whenever I take my walks at Higgins and have always thought the town of Scarborough should have had someone build a model made of her. I'm glad that at least somebody took it upon themselves to do so. Do you know and could you please tell tell me which way is the wreck of the HWM facing? I would assume the bow would be facing the ocean but there is so little of her visable it is hard to tell.

• 2 months later...

Happy 122nd anniversary of the wreck...piece of coal from HWM off port bow

%qLToEUbQcuNqFrEtwMKaQ.jpg

Larry

• 1 year later...

CAJ - great to hear there is a ship modeler who also walks Higgins Beach!  The Middleton lies with the bow facing the ocean.  The seas often break pieces of the remaining frame off the wreck which can be found on the beach.  Not as many pieces of coal these days but with a sharp set of eyes you should be able to spot the translucent reflections of small pieces as you walk between the wreck and the high tide mark.  If you are here in the summer you should stop by the club house (next to the HB Inn) and take a look at the collection of memorabilia from the wreck that have been donated over the years.  Enjoy your walks...

Larry

Larry

i am so glad you posted this update. I got to go through your log and enjoy your experience and applaud the results.   I too love our Maine coast and the history of Schooners.  Several three masters were built here in Boothbay and I know I will build one one of these days.

your model and the case are really inspiring. Thanks for sharing

Jon 

• 1 year later...

Mr. Larry,

We are making a video to help people learn about the shipwreck. It will be on YouTube. Can you please contact us so we can give you credit for your beautiful model? We would like to show photos of the model so that people can see what it would have looked like.

Thank you!

"Way Into Adventures" on YT and IG

14 hours ago, WayIntoAdventures said:

Mr. Larry,

We are making a video to help people learn about the shipwreck. It will be on YouTube. Can you please contact us so we can give you credit for your beautiful model? We would like to show photos of the model so that people can see what it would have looked like.

Thank you!

"Way Into Adventures" on YT and IG

You might try sending him a PM as he hasn't been on since the middle of last month.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)