Carving tools, books and carving woods discussion

If you go directly to Google Translate https://translate.google.com/?sl=la

You can type or paste in the web address, and it will translate the entire page.

• 3 months later...

Just ordered the Ellenwood book to help me kick start my basic quarter board project.  Will try Chuck's approach of #11 blades.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Larry

Larry

Current Build:          New Bedford Whaleboat by Model Shipways scale 1:16

Completed Builds:  Cape Cod Nimblet Knockabouts - Loon, Hawk, Gull and Falcon

Howard W. Middleton scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Susan P.  scale 1:24 - Maine Lobster Boat by Freedom Song Boatworks

Yacht America scale 1:96 by Marine Models

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 12 1/2 scale 1:12

Thermopylae scale 1:124 - English Tea Clipper by Mantua Models

Roar Ege - Roskilde, Denmark Coastal Trader Viking Ship

Hi Guys -- I just saw this thread, and am very excited about it.  Carving at small scales has many challenges that simply don't show up in full size carving -- and one challenge is that, as people have already mentioned, there just aren't many tools small enough.  The Dockyard chisels are of low quality, in my opinion, and once dulled can be very tricky to sharpen.  Two Cherries, a German company, makes some small gouges and V-tools out of a much harder steel and with more solid handles.  Even the 1mm gouge has proven too large for carving at 1:64, however.

Two of the best carving instructors that I know of are Chris Pye from England, and Mary May in one of the Carolinas.  They both have websites with on-going projects that you can learn a lot from.  They both require a membership fee, however.  Mary May's sharpening videos are probably the most informative for carving tools, and even better than Lee's book, which is good for chisels and planes, but not so much for gouges.  Chris Pye has several books with clearly mapped out lessons that can give you a sense of the steps involved in working out designs and dimensions, as well as using tools properly.  They are all available on Amazon.

As for wood, I love castello for all sorts of reasons.  But I just recently got a sample of Alaskan yellow cedar and -- WOW! -- it was really nice.  Just as Chuck say, nice tight grain (it sands up nicely), soft, and with none of the issues of basswood.

I also have to say that I only wish I had the natural artistic ability that Chuck demonstrates over and over in all his projects!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 1 month later...

Probably just missed it, but I don't see any references to magnifiers be they glasses, lenses, scopes, whatever. My eyes are good for about 5 minutes with nothing and then they start crying for help. I use readers sometimes but I don't like that they lose focus so quickly when I back away from a piece of work.

Partly wondering about the scopes because I have an opportunity to buy one for < $100. It has stereo eyepieces, a large depth of field, on a moving arm- it was used for inspections. Overkill I know and I wouldn't pay hundreds for a new one but this looks like a good deal. It could be helpful with my ultra high speed engraving tool as the bits for that are tiny. Mag range is 2.5x to 50x.

Other than that, what do y'all use?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Mike -- I think the optical standard for modellers is the Optivisor with the #5 lens.  I use my so much that I invested in a second one to use outside in my workshop.  You can get them from Micromark:

http://www.micromark.com/Optivisor-Binocular-Magnifier

Though my guess is that you could probably find the same elsewhere for less money. 

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Go online - eBay has them direct from the mfg for a lot less.  Don't waste money on the plastic lenses - get the glass lenses - you will not regret it.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I agree, Kurt.  I bought my second pair from Amazon, and didn't realize till I got them, that they had the plastic lens.  Much inferior.  Maybe I'll learn my lesson.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

How does that headset do size wise? My hat size is 8 3/4.   A lot of the 'one size fits all' headgear products don't fit.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

It's adjustable with a ratchet knob that loosens or tightens.  I am sure that the mfg can tell you the max size it will fit.  http://www.doneganoptical.com

The phone is 913-492-2500.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 1 month later...

Hi. 

I have been procrastinating about this but it is time that I start this. The yacht Utrecht has many carvings. I have practiced some simple items from wood but with the many mistakes I have made I am no longer using wood. 

Purchased 1 lbs. of Super Sculpey and I have the following questions. 

Is it possible that I make,  say a rectangle piece of clay 1/4" by 2" by 1", bake that, and after it is cooled, carve it? 

As Chuck mentioned in an article in Ships and Scale is that you can bake a piece and keep adding to it. 

Does the new clay adhere to the baked clay just like that or how is it done? 

Thanks 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Marcus,

Chuck Passaro and Dan Vad had some tutorials on sculpy I saved Chucks in favorites but cannot tell you how to get there.

I am sure they would not mind a PM.

Had the same problem was doing intricate carving for a stern piece for a war canoe I joined the dumb and dumber club had hrs. into it was using basswood finally it splintered when carving a circle. RE: dumber all through this forum I read over and over NO BASSWOOD for carving to soft, well being smarter than everyone and having a large ego I paid the price. Sculpy for me on my project.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/17/2016 at 2:52 PM, mrjimmy said:

For those who have interest, there is a free book in PDF form written by a retired fighter jet pilot about Netsuke, which is miniature carving fairly close to our scales. Click on the link below:

http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Carving_Netsuke.pdf

Jim

great help the mini lathe using drimmel and really like the instructions on how to do things! thanks for the link