Restoration of Bassett Lowke "Albertic" by michael mott - FINISHED - Scale 1:100

Gosh, Michael; we may have stood side by side back then without knowing it! I did exactly the same thing. 

The treatment of windows - more properly termed lights - was a convention seen on many display models from about 1880 to 1950.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

When I was 7 years old my mother took me to see a collection of ship models on display at O’Neils Department Store in nearby Akron, Ohio.  It was a life changing event and from that moment I was fascinated by ships in general and ship models in particular.

68 years later I still remember some of those models and have visited them several times at the Mariners Museum in Newport News, VA.  The models that I saw were the magnificent ones built by August Crabtree.  It’s too bad that this inspiration is not available to more kids today.

Roger

On 7/8/2018 at 6:01 PM, druxey said:

Gosh, Michael; we may have stood side by side back then without knowing it! I did exactly the same thing. 

Druxey, wouldn't that be amazing

On 7/8/2018 at 11:59 PM, cog said:

Come to think of it: You might have been facing each other across the model ...

Carl we will never know.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:33 AM, wefalck said:

Mmhhm ... 40 years ago it as all airplanes in Regent St. and the area around ... and the Science Museum models are all boxed up ... nothing anymore to make little boys dream - or they dream of other things.

Wefalck I have often wondered about this.

On 7/9/2018 at 9:24 AM, Roger Pellett said:

When I was 7 years old my mother took me to see a collection of ship models on display at O’Neils Department Store in nearby Akron, Ohio.  It was a life changing event and from that moment I was fascinated by ships in general and ship models in particular.

Roger thanks for sharing this. it reminds me of an early childhood memory of visiting a place called Ruislip Lido, which was a small lake near London, and I remember two things a large ocean liner model floating there near the entrance and the ride on model railway with steam locomotives.

"Kenneth More recalled the production of the film in his autobiography, published 20 years later in 1978. There was no tank big enough at Pinewood Studios to film the survivors struggling to climb into lifeboats, so it was done in the open-air swimming bath at Ruislip Lido, at 2:00am on an icy November morning. When the extras refused to jump in, More realised he would have to set an example. He called out: "Come on!"

I leaped. Never have I experienced such cold in all my life. It was like jumping into a deep freeze. The shock forced the breath out of my body. My heart seemed to stop beating. I felt crushed, unable to think. I had rigor mortis, without the mortis. And then I surfaced, spat out the dirty water and, gasping for breath, found my voice.

'Stop!' I shouted. "Don't listen to me! It's bloody awful! Stay where you are!

But it was too late ....[24]"

The passage above is from Wikipedia the link is to the article about the film " A Night to Remember" The film was released in 1958 so it was likely a year or two earlier when I saw the model.

A milestone today, I finished replacing the broken cable stays on the funnels.

IMG_3607x1024.jpg.57fc343daa5a484ca194214e4f3e2001.jpg

IMG_3606x1024.jpg.a0ea0fd7dc0eeb23207bfb938a03e604.jpg

Also hook back up the antenna wire from the forward mast to the forward funnel.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

2 hours ago, druxey said:

Well stayed, Michael! What remains to be done now?

Lifeboats need to be installed.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

super job on the vent and the funnels.......they look great rigged back in place.  you might not want to run too many overhead wires though....remember,  your still tinkering in there  ;)   wonderful progress!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I remember first viewing this model in the Stanley Milner Library and correct me if I am wrong it used to be the Edmonton Centennial Library at one time. I remember taking the time to view it and was in awe at all of the detail and its enormous size in the glass case. Then when you posted it's fate I was in aghast at what had happened!

Now I look forward to taking a trip back to the library to see it in its former glory once you finish the project.

The model is really shaping up and your dedication as a craftsman/artisan is really starting to pay off!

Can't wait to see it in person up close ...Jeff

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

Looking for some guidance

This first picture shows the antenna wire from the top cable between the masts dropping to the roof of the wheelhouse.

IMG_3618x1024.thumb.jpg.bc9eaa7b2f5d624b20f7e1ab95f914af.jpg

This next picture shows the end of the antenna  and the device with holes through the ball ends. one end has the antenna wire loose through it with a loop twisted in the end of the wire. The other end of the device has some white line knotted to it.There is also some frayed line attached to a hook in the decking, The logical notion is that the brass device was connected to the frayed line attached to the hook. but then where does the loop in the wire attach?

5b4685a440da3_antennapuzzlex1024.thumb.jpg.732e9cb3fe1b6a2b5903ef20e04aea35.jpg

The domed brass pillar appears to be used in some fashion with the antenna in one of the pictures on one of the other models of this ship but I cannot see it clearly enough to make a determination about this.  

the next picture shows my interpretation with the loop of the antenna hooking into the top of the dome somehow.

5b4689eaec795_antennapuzzle2x1024.thumb.jpg.5e9c2f3c66c5425406a3c6eef10f3907.jpg

But this is a wild guess

Michael

Here is the picture I was referring to in the previous post I'm not sure if the link will work so here is the address of the site

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19192/lot/2101/

at the site there are two pictures in the "Lot Details section" click on the right hand one which is the same as the thumbnail and you can see the pillar and the brass device on the much larger picture.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Continuing with this issue this diagram makes sense I think from this site  http://www.virhistory.com/navy/navpers.htm

Michael

Hi Michael,

The owner of this ship was extremely fortunate to have found you the restoration.  Not only for the he amazing work but also for this wonderful build log which walks through and details the process. Very well done.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Not sure if you have resolved this Michael; but from my 'limited' knowledge this appears to be a HF radio antenna.  Some form of 'fan aerial' with four risers (fore/aft and port/stbd) rising to a point at the insulators on the wire stay above (which may be a 'long wire HF aerial'.  There are also four legs (horizontal) that form a crucifix shape and connect to the four risers - these were used to form the 'ground plane' for the aerial.  One leg of this would have had to have been 'earthed' but cannot make out enough detail to see if the 'loop' bit was the earth or not. 

The  natural cordage may have been used to raise/lower the top of the aerial to the wire stay/wire aerial?  This was natural fibre probably to minimise static and prevent 'interference' with the main aerial.  Not sure I can make it out but is this in the form of a simple whip tackle?  A heavier duty tackle would not have been required I think.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks John, Pat I sent you a PM

Druxey so much to learn so little time.

Michael

I have now fixed the upper antenna wire to the top of the brass pillar.

In order to fix the antenna to the top of the insulator I flattened a piece of .040" nickle silver rod then drilled a .020" hole and shaped the end this was then glued into the .040" hole in the top of the insulator.

IMG_3627x1024.jpg.edcf19e1144e0fd2344c79f65fbce5aa.jpg

IMG_3634x1024.thumb.jpg.76f276df45c0b84443d1c26215a3ffa4.jpg

And a close up of the connection. this follows the connection method on the bonham's Model, so even if it is incorrect it is consistent with the other model. However I think that this makes sense in light of the antenna article.

IMG_3632x1024.jpg.70e6c44710cf1362596d880845eba44b.jpg

just tying this short piece of line to the insulator gave me pause to reflect on the amazing work of all you folk who rig the three mast ships, and especially those working at the miniature scales.

Michael

Hi Michael - 

Just stumbled on this while surfing MSW.  You are doing amazing work, given the pictures of what you started with. 

Actually, I know this model.  I did some pre-sale restorations on the Seamans' Church Institute collection when they moved from lower Manhattan to Port Newark in New Jersey.  Some of the models were then sold through Bonham's at that auction in 2011.  I did not work on  the Albertic.  It was one of the gems of the group, but it had been in a case so it did not need repairs.  I was at the auction, but did not bid on this lot, needless to say.  Quite a bit above my price range, and much too large for my NY apartment.

I am so glad that the restoration is in your capable hands.  I will continue to follow until you are done.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Dan

That is interesting that you worked on some of the Bonham's Auction items. So far I know of only three models of the Albertic. The one I am fixing and the one for the Seamans' Church Institute collection and the one that sold in California   for Vallejo Gallery

The one I am fixing has been in Alberta for over 25 years.

Michael

That California model is gorgeous, Michael. Thanks for the link. Something luxurious about all brass funnels with the red lining. That whole telegraph wire arrangement would scare the crap out of me if I were a passenger!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Some more work with making missing parts, the dark metal bases of some of the vent stacks, and more new screw mounts.

IMG_3636x1024.jpg.e45b4be25dded5a331b4ac6cc9105396.jpg

New bases from bronze patina on brass, one on left is original.IMG_3644x1024.jpg.c43b68a3ffaeb4c190a699241b53f731.jpg

new bases slipped under the glued up boat deck.IMG_3642x1024.jpg.076081cac663b4658265dcf22ce8ef85.jpg

And today I removed the temporary building jig.

IMG_3641x1024.jpg.adb25726dfa1fcb5b108680d17fdc7c5.jpg

And a memory lane shot for encouragement to keep going.

IMG_1233x1024.jpg.c435d5cb4e131a622a5787f9aea74de7.jpg

I can feel the end of the tunnel coming.

Michael

Wow !!!

the forelast pic presents your skills to date Michael   :)

beautiful work..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Michael

When the model goes back to the museum the before photo should be next to it along with a large brass plaque thanking you for your restoration efforts! Oh and there should also be an unveiling ceremony. Nothing less than you deserve! Bravo.

Nick

Hello Nils, Thanks.

Carl, yes the journey seems to be a long one, but the end is now in sight.

Nick, Thanks for your thoughts on this, but being as it is going into a public city facility I doubt there will be much in the way of info. But I could be wrong.

Jan, I have already recommended that the display be very solid.

Another little bit of rework is now at hand because while I was reworking the lines for the lifeboats, here

5b49468f6104c_Capture8756.thumb.JPG.33c46927c075db43f4274c5a99b23803.JPG

I forgot that there were collapsible boats underneath like this

IMG_8854x1024.jpg.470fe28f92ae2f30e3cf6676251de4b8.jpg

IMG_8855x1024.jpg.9abdb183ea52683087a1d495d7c0cf82.jpg

So they need to be restrung. Putting the boats back on is very fiddly.

IMG_8856x1024.jpg.ac9999c4467a67975c2ee7e7ea471612.jpg

IMG_8857x1024.jpg.43b9c2a3262a4f759d3df660939f73e6.jpg

I am using my old camera which is better than the i-phone one but there is some blurring so a new camera is in order, I need one that I can actually manually focus and most of the less expensive ones auto focus and drive me nuts.

Michael

Michael