Restoration of Bassett Lowke "Albertic" by michael mott - FINISHED - Scale 1:100

So you designed and created the tool to repair the part.

Bob the tool will serve a number of functions, I used it today to clamp on the strip of wood that is under the metal side piece first.

There was a fair chunk gouged out of the piece so I spliced in a bit of wood first, and shaped it.

post-202-0-91275500-1478557475_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-98826900-1478556872_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-64943100-1478556894_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-86896100-1478557528_thumb.jpg

The I spent at least an hour walking back and forth from the shop to the clean room getting the large section of the metal side back to conforming to the side sheer of the main deck. All the clamps are set as stops to position the side the important thing was to be able to place it and have it seat properly without any pressure. once the lower section was set then I used a card template to put the proper curve back into the upper piece using the same method that I used to get all the twists out of it in the first place.

post-202-0-52330700-1478557578_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-53486600-1478557612_thumb.jpg

Next on the list was to replace the missing posts on the upper part. On close inspection the section that was used looked a lot like some very small nickle silver "N" gauge rail so I cut up some code 70 rail filed off the head of the rail which left a t section of nickle silver basically the same size as the original posts.

I used the new clamp fixture to do the soldering.

post-202-0-29761600-1478558140_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-01657400-1478558090_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-43551400-1478558118_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael

Your clamp seems to work well - think I may have to make one if I can find the time.

Are you using soft solder?

You seem to be quite mobile so I assume the leg is hopefully on the mend?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Keith yes I am using soft solder, it is what Bassett Lowke used.

I get the stitches out on Thursday.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Bob the tool will serve a number of functions, I used it today to clamp on the strip of wood that is under the metal side piece first.

There was a fair chunk gouged out of the piece so I spliced in a bit of wood first, and shaped it.

Michael

That just shows how creative the design is.

Hooray no more stiches.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

good, smart and thought trough tooling Michael,

and nice progress with the repair

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very nice and methodical work, Michael. When you have finished up, no-one other than your MSW followers will have any idea of the work that will have gone into the restoration.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Amazing work.  What is the material of the blocks visible by your (very nicely) rebuilt aft stairs?  (they look almost like mother of pearl/Bakelite in the photo...)

Thanks for the supportive comments.

Druxey.... yes its probably going to work out to 5c per hour. But I'm not really counting.

Bob they appear to be a white plastic almost bone-like in color.

Today I soldered the side back together.

post-202-0-98981500-1478635611_thumb.jpg

This picture shows it just resting in place, I am pleased with the fit.

post-202-0-04577700-1478635683_thumb.jpg

My third hand became a fourth this morning. I am really happy I took the time to make this tool, the control is beyond what I expected.

post-202-0-43337900-1478635747_thumb.jpg

Now for the clean up and sorting out how to reassemble back onto the deck, it was originally fitted with small pins, likely pushed in with some sort of miniature pin pusher....... why do I sense another tool needing to be made?

Michael

John thanks for the compliment.

I am wondering what the members think of my next issue.

the following picture shows a partial cross section of the hull and side wall.

post-202-0-91342700-1478644139.jpg

What I am concerned about is the sequence of gluing the fractured part of the deck back on before I put the side on.

If I do that it will be difficult to put the pins in at B the pins at at A are not a problem

If I put the side back on first it become quite difficult to slip the lifeboat deck part back into place especially at the bow end.

I am thinking that Possibly I could use a clear silicone glue at the base of the side wall and slide it in after the lifeboat deck is glued and set.

Thoughts?

Michael 

I agree with your reconstruction of the original sequence of construction, Michael. Can you partially insert the 'B' pins so that the side wall can be moved outward at the top, the lifeboat deck secured, then the 'B' pins driven home before driving the 'A' pins? You'd need a specially bent tool and dental inspection mirror to drive the 'B' pins home, but that should be a piece of cake for you!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Is it possible to push the B pins in when you mount the side to the main deck. I.e. you have the pins fitted to the side at a slight angle to allow pushing them in straight, then you push the side straight and fixate it to the lifeboat deck

post-33-0-84260800-1478650468.jpg

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Druxey and Carl thinking more about this after your comments and having a closer look at the pins I think that it will be possible do something very similar the difficulty is mostly at the bow end as the next illustration shows.

post-202-0-30394000-1478655243_thumb.jpg

This come closer to what you have suggested Carl

Michael

Yes, that rotation is also what I meant, Michael. If those pins are headless that should make it much easier. You would not have to push them home.

No scrap that Idea, that they were locators only. The headless pins are for the lifeboats. The side sheet ones are small headed pins, it will still work though, I pushed a couple of pins in partially and the side wall will lean out.

So the deck will be glued first.

Michael

Thanks for your thoughts on this area Druxey and Carl.

Before I glue on the lifeboat deck I still needed to fix the top part of the lifeboat deck structure.

post-202-0-22370600-1478664309_thumb.jpg

I set up a flat plate that I could use as a guide for the pairing chisel.

post-202-0-73480600-1478664342_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-12648400-1478664363_thumb.jpg

Once the damaged area was removed I fitted a new piece of maple this will get painted on the top inside edge before it gets glued in place.

post-202-0-25437900-1478664645_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-86940400-1478664490_thumb.jpg

A lot of little steps it seems.

Michael

Nice fix on the deck and side, Michael.

Question on the area you removed. You cut at straight angles, I would have expected angled cuts (45 .. 72.5 deg), as it should be easier to fit and the join would be easier to hide.

Carl

A good approach Michael,

trust you will get all damaged portions neat and tidy again, it will take the time it requires, and I think you`re not being pushed by anyone.

You`re doing a great job   :)

I saw the vents on the ship are a bit more modern type compared to my KWdG vent scoops, what material are the Albertic`s vent scoops made of ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

i keep seeing fractures and damages I didnt see before. That model must have hit the ground with a heavy thud.....

Jan, me too, and I have to deal with them. The fall would have been a smooth arc it was the chair in the way and the glass case being shattered then the sudden stop at the end that did all the damage.

Good point Carl. I shall rework it.

Michael

what material are the Albertic`s vent scoops made of ?

Hi Nils, they are made of brass, I cannot see yet if they are lost wax (which I doubt) or are a composite of rods tubes and forged elements the tall open type are a combination of tube and turned parts. The shorter large scoop type appear to be assembled as well. All of the chipped paint on them have exposed a brass color.

Michael

Thanks Joe, sometimes I wonder if I am being a little too detailed. My hope is that there are nuggets of info that will be useful.

Michael

work is in full swing......good to see your making some positive progress  ;)   great ideas with the jigs .........and even better that you were able to straighten out that railing.  superb work Michael...but yea,........there is that threat of going into too much detail {knowing you}  ;)  :D   just eyeball it with the starboard side.......apparently,  good was good enough for them  ;)

great job so far!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Your detailed descriptions of your methods will be an absolute gold mine for others faced with restoration work.

This is my hope. I have learned so much from all of the work that has been posted here by others. This site is more than a gold mine in my view.

Carl I think that this will meet with your approval, thanks for the thought.

post-202-0-40760200-1478724727_thumb.jpg

I picked up my brass wire today and am doing some tests with it.

Michael

Michael,

It is not up to me to approve, I can merely give my thoughts/insights on the matter at hand, and hope those may be of use to you. I am very impressed with the way you have been tackling challenges.

Carl

It is not up to me to approve,

Carl, I know that of course. I said it with a smile on my face. your comment though helped me see a better way.

Michael