Restoration of Bassett Lowke "Albertic" by michael mott - FINISHED - Scale 1:100

Actually, making collets with four slots, instead of the usual three for high-quality ones, was one of the easier routes for holding square stock or parts I have been thinking about. The other possibility with more holding power would be to make four slots that off-centre by the thickness of the targeted stock minus the thickness of the saw blade. The challenge for both variants is to have the slots absolutely symmetric, otherwise the collet runs off-centre.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wefalck

would be to make four slots that off-centre by the thickness of the targeted stock minus the thickness of the saw blade.

A picture showing this Idea would be really helpful.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I made a rough-'n'-ready sketch of what I meant:

SquareCollet.jpg

I have made a set of speciality collets myself from blanks purchased from Schaublin some 15 years ago. The difficult step is the slotting one, as you have to hold the collet at its very end and concentric with its axis of rotation. For round collets this is not so terribly critical, as it is mainly the bore that centres the material. However, that is different for the square collets, where the cuts have been absolutely parallel to the axis of rotation.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Michael - re drilling the holes in the stanchions. I find that getting the drill on the centre line can be a challenge. The best way I have found to do it is to lock one axis of the mill and cut a slot in hard wood using a single pass of a cutter a coupe of thou smaller in diameter than the part to be drilled. I then press the part into the slot and drill without changing the locked setting. This works pretty well and if I want to have repeatability on the lengthways dimensions I put a nail in the slot to act as an end stop. How did you cope with centring the hole in the stanchions?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Wefalck thanks for the picture, it looks like a tricky bit of slitting, and one needs a good indexing chuck to do that, or a collet block.

Keith This is how I accomplished drilling the holes and will use this method for all 28 stanchions I used a #4 flat file to create a small circular flat a little bigger than the diameter of the drill. The boxwood jaws are easy to cut a small rabbet on one of the blocks the distance between the bulbs is a constant .085" I index that with the table travel.

post-202-0-86787800-1486351568_thumb.jpg

stanchion drill.pdf

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Jeff I am glad that this was useful for you.

I finished the turning of the stanchions this morning, here is a Step by step of the process.

The form tool was used to create 6 bulbs The bulb diameter is .065" and the shaft diameter is .045"  the bulbs are on .085 centres. The top bulb was trimmed to its center on the top side to accept the handrail.

post-202-0-88936900-1486409474.jpg

post-202-0-70324500-1486409492.jpg

post-202-0-11731100-1486409503.jpg

post-202-0-58896700-1486409525.jpg

the form tool was switched for the narrow tool to finish off the bottom, the lowest bulb was trimmed on both sides to create the foot.

post-202-0-62533200-1486409538.jpg

post-202-0-09486400-1486409560.jpg

Next a #4 file was used to create the small taper at the bottom

post-202-0-32415300-1486409581_thumb.jpg

next the stanchion was separated with the jewelers the lathe was stopped for this operation

post-202-0-81029000-1486409600_thumb.jpg

The finished stanchions, a few of the first ones had some minor variations so a few extras were turned up to replace them. I will leave the set up on the lathe until I have made sure that I do not need to make any more.

post-202-0-46548600-1486409641_thumb.jpg

Next comes the drilling.

Michael

Wefalck, A Myford ML7 which I purchased new in 1970. the spindle hole  is a #2 Morse taper with a 1 1/8 x 12 threads for the chucks. In the pictures I am using one of the Little Machine Shop's set of 7 #2 Morse taper collets. I had to make a draw bar for them, The Myford Collets have a special spindle cap which pushes their collets into the spindle.  

Michael

Thanks all for the encouraging remarks.

Finished drilling all the holes (gave me a stiff neck bending down to line up the first hole in each stanchion) and fitted them onto the deck.

post-202-0-70692700-1486444012_thumb.jpg

Threaded all four wires through that was the easy part. Before that I popped the handrail off the old stanchions

post-202-0-71331200-1486444143_thumb.jpg

And dry fitted it to the stanchions this was the difficult part.

post-202-0-93350100-1486444360_thumb.jpg

Ended up with needing to use the little clamps to gently hold it in place.

post-202-0-30350300-1486444420_thumb.jpg

tomorrow I will modify the clamps so that there is a small metal bar that holds the rail on to the posts. I will soft solder the rail to the posts, this was how the first posts were attached. The wires are the right color with some flat varnish on them so when it is all assembled I will give them a light coat of flat.

Slow but its getting there.

Michael

Michael,

Stunning, all the effort well spent I have to say.

Do you really need to solder all the stanchions to the wire. I would have thought fixing them at intervals would suffice, even with CA. You wouldn't run the risk heating up the paint at the foot of the stanchion, creating some additional paint work.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

very nice work on the railing / stanchions Michael,

is the top handrail made of wood ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils the top handrail is brass that is painted.

Michael

Thanks for all the visits to the log.

I set up the jig to solder the stanchions to the top rail

I set a piece of music wire through the top hole to align all the stanchions both longitudinally and vertically.

post-202-0-21691600-1486519273_thumb.jpg

I used the rail as the template for drilling the holes I dropped a stanchion in each hole as they were drilled to ensure that there was perfect alignment

post-202-0-57028200-1486519366.jpg

After the stanchions are soldered I can pull out the music wire and thread the nickel wire.

Michael

You solder the railing off ship...then mount when finished then paint?

Wonderful.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Rob

The new stanchions are brass and I am painting them to look like  nickel silver with an aged patina they soldered up very nicely, by laying the handrail on its side and using the small block of Jellutong, it kept the top flat.

post-202-0-99371000-1486534939_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-05774400-1486534956_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-89398800-1486534976_thumb.jpg

I am happy basically with the colour which was achieved with a mixture of Humbrol air frame silver and Humbrol unbleached linen. After all the wires are in place on the ship I will give it a scruffy coat of Microscale  Micro Flat. The handrail still need a little toning down.

post-202-0-41652400-1486533880_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-33095800-1486533861_thumb.jpg

The area at the end where the handrail steps up was difficult to thread and keep clean(smooth) One can only guess at the assembly sequence that was used long ago. I have decided to break this area up by using some of the original stanchions at the step. the next picture shows some short pieces of original wire threaded through two set stanchions, the third one is free at the moment once I have got the new section ready to place into the holes I can fettle the short wires to create the transition from the old to the new. and the stepped end of the handrail will fit over the top of the original type stanchions. These will be fixed with a drop of CA.

post-202-0-23194000-1486533901_thumb.jpg

Michael

Hi MIchael,

looking at the wide knowledge and skill you have and the techniqes you are using I can imagine that you perhaps one day might be tempted to build a complete and beautiful model of a steam driven passenger liner of your choise, out of the era of the "Albertic" early 1900`s or so.... :rolleyes:

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

railings look very good Michael.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Again thanks for all the visits it is encouraging.

Hi Nils

I came to Canada on the Sylvania in October 1967 One day I would like to make a model of her. I have very fond memories of that 8 day trip.  Just happened that we were in a force 10 for three days, with 40 foot waves, it was exciting for this young man at the time.

But I also like these types of ships

Michael

Again thanks for all the visits it is encouraging.

Hi Nils

I came to Canada on the Sylvania in October 1967 One day I would like to make a model of her. I have very fond memories of that 8 day trip.  Just happened that we were in a force 10 for three days, with 40 foot waves, it was exciting for this young man at the time.

But I also like these types of ships

Michael

Yes Michael,

those were lovely ships, and force 10 must be a bit frightening experience in your memory

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Michael, you're doing a beautiful job.  And thanks for the Tyne Ship website, I'll have to build one.  One of these days. 

So many to build, so little time.  Ah, what is a boy to do?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray