Restoration of Bassett Lowke "Albertic" by michael mott - FINISHED - Scale 1:100

Druxey, not too far but it will go into a warehouse storage until the library is finished being renovated which might be another year before the model is reinstalled. I have seen the results of flimsy crates in the past. The goal is to make sure that the model is well protected until it is needed. 

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I am thinking that a couple of stretcher bearer handles screwed to the long sides formed from a couple of 1x3 shaped at each end might work. then two or four people can move it relatively easily. The crate weighs about 110lbs. the model is about 100-120lbs sitting on the base.  for maneuvering in tight spaces but where there is lots of room they can move it with a pallet jack or fork lift.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Manual handling is far less risky than a fork lift or other mechanized method!!!! Unless you want to do the restoration all over again....

Heavy duty castors might be a better alternative.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

3 minutes ago, druxey said:

Manual handling is far less risky than a fork lift or other mechanized method!!!! Unless you want to do the restoration all over again....

Heavy duty castors might be a better alternative.

It does keep him busy, druxey ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Better slap a label with something like "Do NOT use a forklift.  Hand carry only".  I have seen some labels like that many years ago for delicate electronic equipment.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

When I first started as an engineer in 77, we had a computer that had a Removable Hard Drive. The drive housing came in a crate about 2X2X6 feet! The removable portion was about the size of a cake holder, the ones you put a finished cake in. The "This Side UP" labels were about 4" square and had a hollow Arrow symbol On the frond was a clear tape, and inside the arrow were red foam beads along the bottom. If the crate was tipped on its side or upside down, the beads would flow downhill, and get stuck on the tape. There was two labels, one at each end of the crate. Thus we could tell if it had been mishandled during shipping. One day a drive came in with one of the arrow labels installed upside down. Our boss saw the label, with the beads stuck on it, and without checking the other label, or the other printed "This Side Up" labels painted on the crate, called the shipper, and cussed them out! Only later did he tell us about it, at which time we pointed out that that label, was upside down, not the crate!

A magnificent job, Michael. I just went back and looked at the first page of the build log. What a transformation! You have good reason to be proud of your achievement. I take my hat off to you, sir.

Steven

Thanks everyone for following along on this journey. A couple of small Items completed the work today. The gratings on the starboard companionway And the installation of the flags. I had to do the house flag twice because the first time it was upside down. I can say that the house flag can be raised and lowered though.

I had some etched copper from Scale Link that I picked up in 1979 from Puffers opposite Kenton Railway Station. after cutting the size slightly oversize I slowly sanded it with some 600 grit until it just fit snug. I used a toothpick with beeswax to pick up the piece to place it for final gluing.

IMG_9571x1024.jpg.cb048d267c7b40a7f423b4b23a7ff99f.jpg

IMG_9566x1024.jpg.c63bc9a14731ca9d2f847f12b08602f1.jpg

Then I decided to reprint the house flag in red rather than the blue one.

IMG_9600x1024.jpg.5a084ec2a9ea79be36beebf69466fab9.jpg

The ensign was also re printed on some light weight silk-span, I decided to shape it after setting it to the stern flagstaff.

IMG_9584x1024.jpg.768dfcbb2da003d057cade8e956adc80.jpg

IMG_9598x1024.jpg.6ddcfd1243e3b71b47e19f9914b071b7.jpg

And now.....She's done!

5b553b0043b70_Capture9602.thumb.JPG.0281f4e6f903378c54228a851a45b74e.JPG

5b553b016d993_Capture9605.thumb.JPG.a02c2e6c33cb3f75812d289e528f92f1.JPG

When we get back from Whitehorse I shall crate her up after the inspection.

Onward and upward.

Michael

Thanks for letting us tag along, Michael.  Looking over your shoulders to see what was done has been an experience that most of us will never have first hand knowledge of.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A long and challenging journey, Michael, and the result ... I wouldn't be surprised she looks better than before with all the TLC you have given her. I hope she'll be out of the dark, into the spotlight soon

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Congratulations on completing a long and painstaking restoration, Michael! You've done a beautiful job on Albertic. I can only hope that your client is truly appreciative of the craftsmanship that has gone into the model.

P.S. In the second photo (starboard companionway grating), is that bilge keel slightly loose?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Well done Michael !

Love to see the "Albertic" in a wonderful condition again

after all those months and weeks of restoring this beautifull ship it must be a touching moment when she leaves your home again, onwards to your customers new  display station...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A great achievement and an educational tutorial on how to do a restoration - many thanks Michael it has been a pleasure following this log.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching your restoration, and learned much from your techniques! A well done restoration, and instructional build!

• 1 month later...

finally I get to check on your progress here............and I find your nearing the end!   a huge congratz to you........you've done such a masterful job on her.......looks absolutely gorgeous!   must be rewarding to finally get to making the crate for her return  ;)    so happy for you!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A masterful job, Micheal, from start to finish.  An encyclopedia of interesting problems and innovative solutions.  Bravo.

Ed

Thank you all for your support and counsel while I undertook this restoration. Your collective encouragement and valuable comments helped immeasurably.

I am now looking forward to the final inspection by the client and then it can leave the modelshop freeing up valuable space for the next occupant of the workbench. I am going to enjoy having the extra room to work on the cutter over the next little while.

Michael

I don't know how I missed the conclusion of this project, Michael. As others have already said, you did a masterful job, and what a treat to see such a historic model restored to her former glory! Well done!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

A beautiful restoration, performed with admirable persistence, attention to detail and refusal to accept second best. I take my hat off to you, sir.

Steven