Restoration of Bassett Lowke "Albertic" by michael mott - FINISHED - Scale 1:100

Michael, I think having two of those little beauties (third hands) is excessive; to save you the embarrassment I am happy to take the second one off your hands (all puns intended) ;):)

Seriously though, they look great.  I purchased a GRS third hand (soldering station) but yours, especially with the machine clamps look very usefull for rigging as well as many soldering set-ups.

502042.jpg

Would you mind posting a pdf of the mechanical set-up of the arm version (how you make it grip the bar yet remain adjustable etc)?  I am not keen on grub or thumb screw option and I really like what you have done here.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

you made me laugh...........one funny makes the other one funnier  ;)  :D    looking real good Michael.......glad to see more positive progress  :)  even the crack looks better  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

you could just stop the restoration and go into 3rd hand production.

Actually Keith I can't sorry.

Do you sell through ebay, or another site ...?

Carl, no these are one offs

Would you mind posting a pdf of the mechanical set-up of the arm version (how you make it grip the bar yet remain adjustable etc)?

Pat, Just for you ;)

post-202-0-55867800-1480270308_thumb.jpg

new soldering tool.pdf

I will post the PDF  in the tool section as well.

The drawing is basically accurate the sizes are all nominal and is drawn 1:1 the PDF is a broad sheet size the reason being that I did not work from a drawing originally but from material I had in the scrap boxes more or less. and whipped up the drawing this morning.

I am thinking about a design that could be easily made from stock supplies, wood and brass, and nuts and bolts that can be purchased at any local hardware store. it needs to be simple and with the sort of control that I am able to achieve with the fancy ones. 

Now back to the ship.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Michael. And I just happen to have some tripod legs sitting in my scrap box. It must be destiny.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks Michael,  that is very helpful.  That would be very useful if you go ahead with a design using commonly available materials; I for one would value it.

cheers

Pat

That would be very useful if you go ahead with a design using commonly available materials; I for one would value it.

Well that is just what I did all day today.

post-202-0-44235500-1480298397_thumb.jpg

The tool is made from stock wooden dowel 

1 x 3/4 x 3 1/2 long

2 x 3/4 x 2 1/2 long

1 x 1/2 x 8 long

2 x 1/2 x 2 1/2 long

2 x 3/8 x 2 long

6 off 8 x 32 x 3/4 long round head machine screws

1 off 8 x 32 x 1 long round head machine screws

7 off 8 x 32 brass thumb nuts

1 piece wood for base, mine is 8 x 4 1/2 x 3/4  oak

The top clamp arms do not have the second rotation but for most tasks this would not be an issue there is still lots of control, and on my one I ran out of brass thumb nuts so I had to use different nut on the base post, and the 8 x 32 round head screws are reversed on one side to show that it can be done without the brass thumb nuts.

basically the screws are threaded in from the bottom with the clearance hole on the top so that the brass thumb screw presses the top half of the dowel down.  without the thumb nuts the machine screw pulls down the wood.

post-202-0-82218800-1480299259.jpg

post-202-0-27281400-1480299304.jpg

post-202-0-11199500-1480299732.jpg

wood third hand tool.pdf

So I hope that this information is useful to those who want to make one for themselves The only machine tool I used was a drill press to drill all the holes, this could have been accomplished with a good hand drill

hand tools included a small back saw

a hack saw

a thin file

an 8 x 32 second tap

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Many thanks Michael - off to the shed tomorrow :)

cheers

Pat

Hello Michael,

You are so inventive.  What a great wooden version of your third hand tool.  I'll be buying dowel soon.  Still - don't take me off your growing wait list for the original.

Your restoration is coming along beautifully.  Keep up the great work.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks for all the visits and positive comments.

My new miniature sander works nicely by using the same principle as when I was sanding drywall I can get a nice even pressure in some tight corners.

post-202-0-74082500-1480563402_thumb.jpg

Michael

Thanks for all the comments and support by hitting the like button.

Jan, I have sort of made up my mind but first i want to get the divets filled then take it from there.

The new sanding pad is proving to be one of those tools that I wonder how I ever got along without it, and why some manufacturer hasn't already got them on the market.......remember that you saw them here first.

I have been spotting the small divets with paint then a day later doing a semi wet sanding by just licking my finger and wiping my wet finger over the sanding pad. It wets the wet and dry paper just enough to stop it clogging, but not enough to cause any problems with the model.

post-202-0-62786000-1481216756_thumb.jpg

I have also been continuing to wind up stay cables and a shot of more progress.

post-202-0-29423900-1481216891_thumb.jpg

The stay station central

post-202-0-58949200-1481216921_thumb.jpg

Oh yes and in my spare time I have been reworking the bathroom in cottage style with Cedar wainscotting, to keep on the good books of my lovely wife Judy.

Michael

Glad you're keeping the wife happy so you can work on models and keep us happy.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

A little more progress today I did modify the procedure a little now I am using a drop of water in a saucer to wash off the sanding pad. A couple of new pads with some added thickness glued to the T section using styrene strip which was then rounded on one edge. 

post-202-0-72967900-1481231445_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-87688800-1481231486_thumb.jpg

I have started to sand down the area under the lip of the main deck using this new pad.

post-202-0-90956000-1481231872_thumb.jpg

I am also using a new small jewelers saw cutting V block with a couple of 8x32 thumb screw to hold the parts it is set up to also cut into the end of dowels up to 3/8 diameter. The picture shows one of the new pads being shaped with the jewelers saw. The thumb screws are really helpful for this sort of task.

The screws are threaded up through the wood and locked up to the wood, this allows for the thumb screws to be loosened and tightened without the screws falling out the bottom or having to hold them while making adjustments.

post-202-0-08586300-1481231791_thumb.jpg 

Again thanks for all those who have been following and pressing the like button

Michael

Nice work Michael, those stays especially are looking very good.

cheers

Pat

Michael,

very good restoration and recovery work on the "Abertic".....

many smart little special tools    ;)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you to all who have been watching and following quietly. And for the nice comments about the progress.

A little more work to report.

One of the eyebolts that holds the lower end of one of the funnel stays was missing. On close examination of those that are remaining they look to be formed from a Jump ring soldered to the head of a small brass escutcheon pin. After looking through the pin drawer and not finding the right size I had to make a pin. 

I used the blue third hand to set up to solder and used the weight of the clamp to create a steady pressure so that as the solder melted on the head the ring pressed down using gravity.

post-202-0-51403000-1481566153_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-10087800-1481566247_thumb.jpg

Yesterday after looking for the micro turnbuckles that Nils had Mentioned and not finding any really small ones I had a go at making one the same size as those of the ship and used one of the solid pretend ones as a guide.

I used a 00x90 thread into some .082 brass rod (actually I turned it all down from free machining brass rod) then machined a swivel hook for one end that fitted through a .040" hole in the bottom of the threaded center part. I annealed the swivel and made the eye with some round nose pliers. The threaded eye was also turned on the lathe. The eye was filed and drilled from a ball formed while turning. In retrospect it would have been better to form the eye the same way as the swivel end.

It is only a single acting because I don't have a 00x 90 left hand tap and die.

post-202-0-67148100-1481566853.jpg

I found out that the car needs a new computer......Oh well, at least it warmed up a bit it's only -14C today.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Very nice detail Michael. Must get round to making a 3rd hand.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Nice technique with soldering that ring into place Michael.

cheers

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year, and thanks for all the support and positive feedback on this project so far.

I have been working away at filling the paint damage with just paint I did not want to use any different types of material other than the enamel paints over the wood and restored metal.

A couple of shots to show this progress.

post-202-0-07559100-1483032006_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-13596400-1483032035_thumb.jpg

Just a small bit left on the black where the almost 1/8th inch deepest gouge was. Once it is filled I will paint over the repaired area and then polish the surface to bring it to the same level of finish as the rest of the black on the side, to blend in the edges.

Michael

Druxey, I have had really good results in the past with a drop of this stuff on a small pad of Matt Board.

post-202-0-78917600-1483037418.jpg

It is a good plexiglass polish, and the liquid carrier gets absorbed into the card and softens it a little leaving the polishing compound a little thicker on the surface. It would not surprise me if this is not made from either of the two materials you mention.

I will add another foot for the mini sander so that I can maintain the same level of control and pressure that I have been achieving with the sanding pads.

Michael