Restoration of Bassett Lowke "Albertic" by michael mott - FINISHED - Scale 1:100

Michael,  For the striping I think you'll do better with a drafting pen.  The kind with a wire floating inside.  I've used both pens and kistka and had better control with the pen.  The kistka is basically the pen without the wire. In fact I use the pen tip without the wire with wax for making pysanka.

I like your stay but the difference in size is too noticeable when the two are next to each other. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Don't panic! Take a deep breath and take things step by step.... You'll be fine.

Druxey

Read these word just before stepping out for a meeting last night.....it's a long story suffice it to say I wound up in emergency, after tripping over a u channel stake in a front lawn cut and peeled back the skin on my shin to the bone.

7 stiches a lot of pain and a lot of deep breaths as the freezing was being done.

I'm on some serious antibiotics and will be keeping fairly stationary for a couple of days to let the healing take a good start.

Thanks for the tip about the Humbrol paints I will look them up.

For the striping I think you'll do better with a drafting pen.......I like your stay but the difference in size is too noticeable when the two are next to each other.

Bob, I agree with you on these scores,  I will see how the smaller control wire looks, but will reserve all judgement until I have been able to fabricate the stays with the 34 gauge wire when it arrives.

I have some of the type of pends that you mention, and had never thought about using paint in them, so will give this a try.

cheers Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Druxey

Read these word just before stepping out for a meeting last night.....it's a long story suffice it to say I wound up in emergency, after tripping over a u channel stake in a front lawn cut and peeled back the skin on my shin to the bone.

7 stiches a lot of pain and a lot of deep breaths as the freezing was being done.

I'm on some serious antibiotics and will be keeping fairly stationary for a couple of days to let the healing take a good start.

cheers Michael

Ouch, Michael, that's some serious wound. Hope it heals fast. Boats can wait awhile.

Thanks Jack, yes as long as I can sit at the desk and putz I'm OK yesterday I plotted the positions of all the anchors on the funnel deck so now I can plot all the funnel stay lengths. they are all going to need replacing regardless of the individual few that are OK just so that they are all consistent colour and wind wise.

I recall I think it was Bob in Arizona who set up the rigging on one of his boats by working at them off the model, I am going to do the same thing That way I will be able to just insert the eyes at the deck into slightly loose holes with some glue rather than forcing them back into tight holes.

I will prepare a dummy funnel deck so that I can access the stays easily at the edges while working them.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Shins are sensitive to everything, especially channel iron, barked mine many times in spite of wearing high top boots most of my life, one morning, long after you have given up on their no longer being sensitive, you will realize the pain is gone. Have a set of KOH-O-NOOR RAPIDGRAPH jewel tip from 000 up to 3. Jewel tip for drafting on Mylar, the etching ink we used often was a problem to keep flowing in the smaller pens, have no idea what paint might do to them even with the wire out, rattling that wire is what kept us going. When I needed a circle at a precise location, I used my Drop Bow Compass instead of a circle guide. The Bow Pen side worked well and I suspect that Bow Pens would work better than the expensive, 'and delicate', drafting pens for the needed line work coming up, could probably obtain some at a reasonable price if you don't already have a set, using them would allow for any line width you would need to match existing lines and paint flow I would expect to be much easier to control, also easier to clean.

jud

Edited by jud

Oh, no!!! I'm so sorry, Michael. That is the worst place for an injury. Poor blood supply means very slow healing. I do hope there are no complications from this. I'm sorry also for the ironic choice of words in my last e-mail to you. Please take it easy while you heal.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Don't rush things.  I gashed my shin once and had stitches.  I was amazed how much tension there was on them.  All I could do was sit with my feet up, crutches for moving around the house.  You'll know when it's OK to sit up and work again.

sounds terrible ...........so sorry to hear!   take it easy and heal up.    still plenty of things to do in a sitting position.   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm with the others... not a "fun" injury due to location and nerve endings (not that injuries are fun but this has to be the most painful and the hardest to heal in my experience).  Follow the doc's advice to the letter please.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to hear about the incident Michael. In similar situations I tend to get a long lecture from my wife which I promptly ignore - and then regret. I agree with Mark "follow good advice" and get well soon.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments and good thoughts.

Michael

Michael, sorry to hear about your leg injury. I hope that you are back on your feet soon. I tried to email you relaxation,not pages of McCaffery's book on spinning wire rope but I got a non-delivery notice. I'll try again.

Long story short he chucks necessary number of strands in his Unimat, loops the free end through a bar that he holds tight, pulls the whole thing tight and turns on the lathe.

Roger Pellett

Hi Roger thanks for the sympathy, I sent you a new PM

I understand the principle and have used the same procedure on my rope making machine. I can wind up left hand 3 wires.

Make 4 sets of that then wind up the 4 sets right or left by just twisting them in the same manner. the wire does not wind itself up in the same way as the thread does.

I am just waiting for the brass wire to come for the next test.

Michael

Druxey

Thanks for the tip about the Humbrol paints I will look them up.

Bob, I agree with you on these scores,  I will see how the smaller control wire looks, but will reserve all judgement until I have been able to fabricate the stays with the 34 gauge wire when it arrives.

I have some of the type of pends that you mention, and had never thought about using paint in them, so will give this a try.

cheers Michael

Hi Michael,

sounds awfull with your shin wound, at least no fracture, wish you a speedy healing process........ :huh:   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

It was a productive day today, a couple of friends came over and moved the model into the house,(stable temperature). I was getting a little concerned by the temp fluctuations in the shop. It is heated with wood, although there is a heat exchanger for the in-floor but it is not easy to keep it even through the cold which is on its way.

I also cobbled together a simple bench as part of the trolley that the model is on when I am up and dancing again in a week or two I will finish off the trolley base with some additional shelving. 

post-202-0-37993400-1477709717_thumb.jpg

I also have a place to relax.

post-202-0-90265300-1477709614_thumb.jpg

I was thinking if the ship was the same scale as the cutter it would be 76 feet long on the other hand if the cutter were the same scale as the ship it would be only 5 inches long.

And it allowed me to clean up the computer desk, so now I don't have to move stuff when i want to type or draw. the Computer on the left is for my drawing it is a stand alone and running XP the one on the right is connected to the web and is running 7 professional.

post-202-0-00250200-1477709891_thumb.jpg

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Had to look up that word Joel.

Michael

I knew it!   when I saw that bit of bow spirit in the first picture......it was that gorgeous cutter!    sweet little nook you got there!   that's a super dolly/table...if you put a bench on the other side,  you'd be able to turn it around and work without skipping a beat!  jess say'in!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The new model space is working out very well, feels very comfortable, and the worry of variable temperature affecting the model is gone.

Put a small strip light over the new work area under the ship.

The collapsible lifeboats lost all of the small wood cradles except one, I used it as a template and did the first rough shaping of 14 pieces with the jewelers saw. 1 more to go

post-202-0-99250800-1477883445_thumb.jpg

I need to set up a small vice next in order to file them down to the final size. then I will separate them all.

that's a super dolly/table...if you put a bench on the other side,  you'd be able to turn it around and work without skipping a beat!  jess say'in!   ;)

I did think about it Denis but decided to keep it simple. And I am also getting inspired to work on the cutter as well now. I am beginning to see the advantages of having a clean room as well as the workshop for the different types of work.

Michael

Looks like a fine living space.  Your boats and a bed.  All you need is someone to bring you meals.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Inspired by Gerald's machine tools for working on his Clyde model I did a small upgrade to this little holding fixture, I can see further modifications in the wings.

post-202-0-96309700-1477967649_thumb.jpg

I needed some better clamping elements and so made some up along the lines of the tiny toolmakers clamps that Lee Valley sells that Gaetan recommended.

post-202-0-22827700-1477967846_thumb.jpg

I needed a good way to hold the aft stairs while soldering them back together.

post-202-0-38012200-1477967920.jpg

after removing them this is what I started with.

post-202-0-67300800-1477967971.jpg

after some careful bending with some fine needle nosed pliers I managed to get them back into a reasonable resemblance of their former shape.

post-202-0-95336400-1477968083_thumb.jpg

The new holding clamps will allow me to re-solder the steps tomorrow.

post-202-0-95803500-1477968171_thumb.jpg

Michael