Gaeta Falcata (Gajeta Falkusa) by jack.aubrey - FINISHED - Marisstella - 1:20 Scale

Monday, December 26, 2016

In recent days, I proceeded to finish the hull on the external side, taking a special care to the bow and stern areas. The walnut wood is quite hard to work with, ergo was sometimes necessary to use "hard methods". Now it's approaching the moment to remove the bulkheads in order to be able to work inside the hull, first with a cleaning and finishing job, later installing the +/-30 planned ribs.

A first top view of the inside of the boat:

01 - 20161222_085530.jpg

y4m3Hf6DM9vztEVInVJ_pMKj5KvUSexDQNzFmS01

The external planking finished with sanding blocks and sandpaper.

02 - 20161224_173914.jpg

y4mhZc3jzzsYwbuV4NB64cs5rwpTjoM4l36x_QJn

03 - 20161224_173923.jpg

y4m_hY0Q54k1Ug_G-yRATn8ZQ2m-QJ7vCpoW7Z6F

Then I applied a couple of coats of very diluted stain, which has changed the color tone of the original wood, making it slightly more reddish. Operation that I know will be useless because the outside will be painted black, but in my heart I could not bear the many different colors of the strips for many weeks or months . . .

To finish, a final sanding and a coat of very diluted PVA glue to fix the dye.

04 - 20161225_114716.jpg

y4mv-CGAleKwJaNhOzsYiymCqav4VzUN9cNCS1Z0

05 - 20161225_114755.jpg

y4mz8jjuDBEFRR1a29iaXU6r4luT888ADiI6mblo

See you next time, Jack.

Nice job.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Sunday, January 1st, 2017

The new year had a good start . . and, to be honest, I also finished the old one quite well.

Yesterday I was on the seaside, but when I was back I could spend a couple of hours working around the Gajeta. More precisely, I proceeded to remove the bulkheads that served to build around them the planking. Planking that I want to remember, was glued quite weakly to the bulkheads, placing between the bulkhead and the plank a film of masking tape.

I had still some doubts about the term "weak" because, having no previous experience, I could not know what I was going to meet. Would it be a simple task or not ? In the Maristella's project the kit manufacturer foresaw some diagonal cuts on the bulkheads, cuts designed to be completed with a cutter knife or similar tool to remove the central bulkhead area and allow operating easily, but it was to be proved in practice. I therefore prepared various tools and different approaches. Anyway I almost immediately realized that it was enough to appropriately manage the bulkheads to remove them very easily without the need of any tools. Perfect.

For safety I left two central bulkheads still stuck just to make sure that the hull doesn't collapse or distorce. Then the work left was to remove the excess glue where there originally was the bulkhead. Here too the operation was quite simple: I used the mini drill with a spherical grinding tool and a bit of patience. Finally, a smoothing task, albeit provisional, with sandpaper.

Before removing the remaining two bulkheads I thought to add some strips of strong wood in three hull points to assure me that the "shell" will not change shape. These strips, simply glued with PVA will be kept until I'll finish the installation of the internal frames. I don't know until when . .

01 - 20170101_104331.jpg

y4mJGFwrap_SyULpavpb0M_kmdikVkSEp9XtlE51

02 - 20170101_104323.jpg

y4mqMk05JOwAwDLWMQDZkToWhxFB91O2IehTXYX8

03 - 20170101_104316.jpg

y4mITCqW8mbcsklQU24aBk920IGZTu306pypm7GA

I intentionally left the glue excess left after I removed the last two bulkheads to show what it looks like the inside of the "nutshell" and giving so an idea of the cleaning work that I had to do. Today I'll try to further clean up the inner hull and then . . . I will begin a new phase, that must be carefully planned and set up.

04 - 20170101_104339.jpg

y4mm3eyoyLOzU_gwTj1HsX0uvrOmTGanHztM5J2Q

A cordial greeting and a sincere Happy 2017 to all of you, Jack.

Looks very good Jack, the frames should give it lots of strength. Good work

Monday January 2nd, 2017

I better refined internally the hull and I proceeded to hold "strongly" the nutshell to its building slip, in view of the the upcoming activities.

01 - 20170102_104556.jpg

y4mkdtuQoTzC7Df3CaumYGlgE4s3BLH3367Z7OlN

02 - 20170102_104709.jpg

y4mcL3--DHIn77ykRPVPaMrhRCy-5Rrnn5_cRHt6

03 - 20170102_104638.jpg

y4moYmvY1AXzL_x9XJkbo2zy7-wgkcq3ZWci7-jk

04 - 20170102_104702.jpg

y4mykF017a3dcBDUz_4rV_DsP2P91OLcacTmefND
I am now tracing the various positions for the ribs. Once I finished I think it will be mandatory a deep check of all measures to verify my work, because the data in the running are many, too many. The risk of making a mistake somewhere seems high to me. We'll see.

05 - 20170102_164903.jpg

y4mLfm5zYQADt0hNPRjbAe31n5RHo_dzZCa0SIVA

PS: Just as example, to place the masking tape that you see in the last picture I took an hour and a half . . .

I just found your build log. What a beautiful little boat. You said that you do not like the many colours of wood, but I quite like it. It gives your model some character.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

[snip]..... You said that you do not like the many colours of wood, but I quite like it. It gives your model some character.

I agree with this.

The different shades make the individual planks stand out more..and I think that's nice.

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Monday, January 9, 2016

Apart from the last days of these holidays time, I could not progress on anything due to the pretty frozen weather of these days.

Because here in Tuscany my lab is located in a garage where there is no heating, I find rather difficult to work in the cold of this year beginning. I hope in a weather and temperature improvement for the next few days, otherwise I'll be idle. And this is a pity: I should now start an interesting task, having to work inside the hull to install the frames.

Cheers, Jack.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Cold or not cold I decided to resume the model and in these two/three days I developed the technique to install the boat ribs. It will be a rather long task and I do not know when I'll finish. Right now I'm just at the very beginning . .

01 - 20170112_181521.jpg

y4m9Na2yPeg79LkWVkIvadQVq1Ztvsu_HIHSMC_5

02 - 20170112_181515.jpg

y4mSejoGsBN1mI8ycAGVxf1Lrhok7lemxC2xMhvO

See you soon, although I cannot foresee when. Jack.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The activities to install the floor timbers are still in progress, but proceeding quite slowly: each timber must be bent in the right shape in relation to its position inside the hull, and this makes me to loose some time to prepare the appropriate template.

And every two floor timbers a new template must be prepared.

The remaining is then a quite normal/simple task: soak the timber for a while in water, then bend and shape using the template, let dry the wood, possibly naturally, and finally leave everything to stabilize for at least half a day, better for a whole day. 

Then install.

The templates that I prepared will be reusable when I'll finish with the floor timbers and I'll start with the futtocks.

01 - 20170117_150823.jpg

y4m8NPMm8Wvw6eyf38OGe7SDzA8L5Ay7zwX11bpc

02 - 20170117_150815.jpg

y4mIYu8UHHpgFZGcw20V-R5k_gjBKNDvIA72PDz0

03 - 20170117_150804.jpg

y4mTRI_J8ZVc8UfHO-hmid845MqwXjSrbO1TcaBS In the dead time I try to better refine certain details, in the two pictures below are the bow and stern blocks, even if the finished model will be covered by small decks and thus they will not be visible.

And again, the tips of the floor timbers need to be properly aligned by removing the excess and rounding a side of the tip, for now cut to 90°.

04 - 20170117_151007.jpg

y4m5JHOGwxVDG9xJQ2Wx9a1YzdwMlxoI85w7sPvr

05 - 20170117_150956.jpg

y4mW4dUBWSai2vjmoOgGQnKr0ngG0jecpEg6gjKE

See you next time, Jack.

A couple of the templates I had to prepare to bend the floor timbers and, in the future, the futtocks. Both show a pair of 3x3 strips secured with rubber bands and in the stabilization phase.

01 - 20170117_200728.jpg

y4molsYihX3UmcAXGlatnbc4E4MisZuzISolNJej

02 - 20170117_200720.jpg

y4mH9LQSV0aNr9cZOou6aeQnnr4oqWuzk4GxUEmW

Cheers, Jack.

This is an(other) excellent build, and I particularly like the challenge of building an open hull, which I understand is your favorite (and which I have never dared to attempt.

Now I also understand that both Marisstella and Dusek are really top notch manufacturers, together with Victory Amati and the Chuck creations for Model Shipways. Not only are (apparently) the explanations better or equal to their competitors, but the provided materials look excellent as well (your hull looks beautiful). They surely deserve to be even better spread. Maybe their choice of subjects, although beautiful, is not want is commercially easy to sell to a wider public.

Now I also understand that both Marisstella and Dusek are really top notch manufacturers, together with Victory Amati and the Chuck creations for Model Shipways. Not only are (apparently) the explanations better or equal to their competitors, but the provided materials look excellent as well (your hull looks beautiful). They surely deserve to be even better spread. Maybe their choice of subjects, although beautiful, is not want is commercially easy to sell to a wider public.

I had the opportunity to work with Dusek kits and now with Maristella kits and, in general, I am well satisfied with their quality and accuracy. I've some concerns, for both, about assembling instructions but in general I do not follow them too much; I generally have my own approach that often differs from them.

Regarding this kit, much better instructions are now available, much better than the version included in the kit. Maristella boss sent me a copy by email. Probably they are now standard in the kits.

Anyway, I've some concerns with the material provided for the floor timbers and futtocks: many walnut and limewood strips 3x3mm. Considering we are speaking about a kit, I expected laser cut elements. As I explained in my previous messages, this fact forced me to adopt a radical and different approach: use dry beechwood strips instead of walnut/lime, more easy to bend, and build many templates to properly shape the timbers before installation. My thought on this matter is that a couple of days of work with a CAD software was enough to produce these pieces directly in the kit, saving days of work by the modeller.

And this achievement should be the goal of a kit, other I select a scratch build. Don't you think ? From another point of view this may be an additional challenge for the modeller, but in general I prefer to stay comfortable than uncomfortable.

Rgds, Jack.  

Hello all :)  Dear Mr. Jean-Pierre, thanks for a very nice words, they are seriously encouraging  ...

Dear Mr. Jack ... now You have got me ! I have to say a few words about this method ... The first of all, our models, build from the kits, have one very important mark : this is that , when the model is finished, You would never say that it was a build from a kit ... This is very important in the ship modelling world ... This model has open hull , uncoloured from inside, so any laser cut frame would be recognizable ...
The other thing is that the hull has a small deformation when removed from the mold, so this deformation is different at different models (of the same sort), so the laser cut elements are not fitting well enough ... One thing more : the natural wood is fragile and it is easy to break, not suitable for laser cut frames.... The price of the kit would be considerably higher with laser cut frames ...
There is a nice , precise drawing for installing the frames in the kit, a bundle of the walnut strips as the bundle of the lime wood strips, so the modeler can make a choice what is he (or she) going to use...
In the end You have a model not recognizable as the kit build ...
This , all, we had in mind when designing this kit box...

Dear Mr. Jack, Thank You very much for building one of these models ... Your build is very good one and Your approach is very detailed one...

Don't take me in a wrong way please, but I must note : the complete work could be considerably faster by use of some other sorts of the glue and by use of some ''tongs'' for fast strip bending ...
Our kit Pasara and Gajeta has the laser cut frames made of plywood, but interior is to be coloured, those frames are the part of the mold and they are not to be removed of the hull. They stay at the model, as a part of it ...

So far , I must say, brilliant work Mr. Jack ... It is very nice to see Your art here ....

Kind regards,

Zoran

:)

Edited by MarisStella.hr

. . . I have to say a few words about this method ... The first of all, our models, build from the kits, have one very important mark : this is that , when the model is finished, You would never say that it was a build from a kit ... This is very important in the ship modelling world ... This model has open hull , uncoloured from inside, so any laser cut frame would be recognizable . . .

Hi Zoran,
I'm very happy you decided to participate to this discussion. Be sure I got your post in the right way. It was my hope you let us know the reasons of your choices and now it is clear without any doubt. I don't want to raise any criticism about your decision, the market will establish who is right or not.

I think you agree to categorize the ship modeller into three main groups: 
1) the scratch builders
2) orthodox kit users
3) modellers that start from kits but want to improve them.

The first group doesn't buy kit, the second usually expects to find all it need included and to have all the problems that may arise solved, the third has probably other different needs, but is ready and able to integrate the kit insufficient features.

Honestly it is the first time I hear a kit manufacturer speaking about a model from a kit that will not, when finished, appear originated from a kit . . . it's a nice idea but remember that modellers community knows the kits available on the market very well. In addition the kit manufacturers trends seem to go in the opposite direction: take as example the Chuck production or Amati last products; they produce packages as complete as possible. Others produce also admiralty models as kits. Anyway these points do not reduce the value of your work, simply make the kit modeller job harder but also surely challenging. And challenge is usually my objective.  

In addition we have to consider the reason a modeller decides for a kit or scratch build. For example, my personal situation forces me to live sometimes in Milan and sometimes in Pisa. The two sites are +/- 350km far. My main workshop is in Milan, where I have everything to setup scratch build models, I take often four/five years to complete, while in Pisa I do not have a similar facility and, for this reason, I prefer to select a kit, with an expectation to finish the model in maximum one year. The reason is quite simple: all what I need should be included in the box while what isn't included should be easyly found locally, and another important expectation is to avoid working on elements that may be ready.   

So, to conclude, do not think I want to criticise your kit, from the other side I'd like to think I'm trying to integrate my work into your in order to let other modellers find simpler building this model. A last example: in order to determine the hull shapes in different stations other the 10 bulkheads, I worked with a CAD software to produce another plan that helped me to properly bend the floor timbers.
A proper kind of this plan, if added to the current kit plans, could improve very much the calculations needed to build the internal framing of this boat.

y4mlM1qrnfALRsGmk4go11ngLZgMiK-6tsPGupfw

Please feel free to expand or continue this discussion, if you like. I appreciate it.
Kind regards, Jack.

Hi Mr Jack....

I am glad to discuss these things with You ... the first thing we had on our mind when designing a kit is to get a model in the end that looks as the original vessel. This is not an easy thing. At this example, particulary at those frames, You could imagine frames made of plywood. They would not look as the original.... Cutting those frames at the solid wood panel is ok... but they would be very fragile and some of them would be broken while sanded or glued at the place... So, the only solution was to use strips, that are the same dimensions (or very close) to the original ... Using some kind of tongs for strip bending is right thing because You could bend a frame at the place, according to the loop You have at the model. This is a very fast process ... Some of the frames at the bow and stern need to be done in a different way : some pieces of the strip should be glued to each other and then sanded to the shape ...
... There are 12 aditional frame sections ... You can find them at the sheet no 2 of the draft ... While making this kit design, I considered they would be quite enough. The other frames could be made very easily using those 12 sections because they are very like each other...

... Making this kind of the kits some very interesting thing happened : we get some of the scratch builders to build models out from those kits. I found this very interesting... Some of them are very advanced builders. They do care of each nail or wedge at the model, so all I am doing at this time period is making the advanced instructions (the specific ways of planking, nails, wedges etc...) . Now we care of those things thanks to them... Italian language is included into this, so , very soon, our complete program will be improved and available in Italian too ...

Dear Mr. Jack, Your approach is very advanced one. Personaly, I enjoy following Your build. This notes, You put on the project, will be reviewed. I can see this placed into the advanced instruction set ... Thank You so much. I can't wait to see more .

Regards,

Zoran

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Some further step forward: now only five/six floor timbers are missing at bow and stern, but since I can wait, I decided to start installing the futtocks, starting from midship.

The bending templates used for the floor timbers are now useful for the futtocks.

The task proceeds pretty well, quietly though not very fast.

However, I am quite satisfied.

01 - 20170123_195807.jpg

y4m7x6q5IoNY4bkI_NculqCmyQWCLBTmVJ6o4vT7

02 - 20170123_195814.jpg

y4m6QIv_MyohK3_b15dQpOlF3IKnxpN7BZORqbpm

03 - 20170123_195839.jpg

y4mGkwBmOfcWOd8WnycUeKXXT2MAjGpR9Vkoakim
Cheers, Jack.

Excellent job. These ribs look very convincing.

I am a little concerned about the rigidity of a hull like this. Planks and wood sticks will I think, always try and recuperate some of their original form after they have been bent. So I wonder if your hull ribs will not push the hull sides a little further apart than they should. I am sure that you have considered this possibility. How will you fix it?

Hi Mr. Jack ... I was looking for the right word and I was not able to find it ... Then Yves wrote it .... Complete approach is brilliant : Your work is a work of an perfectionist ...

Regards, Zoran

Thanks Yves and Zoran for your very encuraging and positive comments.

Jean-Pierre, regarding your comment . .

I am a little concerned about the rigidity of a hull like this. Planks and wood sticks will I think, always try and recuperate some of their original form after they have been bent. So I wonder if your hull ribs will not push the hull sides a little further apart than they should. I am sure that you have considered this possibility. How will you fix it?

. . As I wrote, after I've bent the ribs with the method I described, the wood strips are really stable.

This happens because after having soaked them in hot water, bent them using the template, I let them stabilize for a while, let's say at least half a day.

After this treatment the shape obtained doesn't change at all: I made some test before starting this current task and I can confirm it. Maybe it depends by the wood used. I used dry beechwood and it works fine. I cannot assure the same result with walnut or other timber and this is one of the reason I used beechwood, the other is that walnut is less easy to bend and probably less stable.

Anyway, as you can see from the images, I'm using three cross wood bars whose objective is to keep in the right position the hull until this task will be finally completed. Next there will be a kind of partial internal hull planking that will enforce definitely the whole.

I hope I've clarified this matter.

Regards, Jack. 

Hi Jack.

A very nice kit and a excellent builder. A good combination for the perfict model.

Had my eye on Marisstella kits for a while now. And I like what I see.

Excellent build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...
Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Flu-like pandemic in my family . . .

What written above I think justifies my long absence from this log. Personally I am still healthy, although I do not know if the matter is closed or will have a tail. If a tail will come surely it will be for me.

So I had not much time for modeling . . shown below is the situation today: one step at a time, slowly will come the goal.

A friendly greeting, Jack.

01 - 20170207_104732.jpg

y4meUnI85XXiw82_8P-fWK-VK4TaDQkPJtNADu1F

02 - 20170207_111047.jpg

y4m9D_l0bjkGqQIpy9JXfsLShDB0vYx4zu52Xicn

03 - 20170207_111022.jpg

y4mOHiwuHS9Zv-4lrPOWIpeH0je-D3yxGs07NzHh

04 - 20170207_111032.jpg

y4mBsfRLokGSz7lTo7uTbwgZSoGF5vVVkM4y2jTi

05 - 20170207_111027.jpg

y4mo0h_jwuyVuvH9tnLkWKQXi8Z2fDaEEi42zu9w

06 - 20170207_111036.jpg

y4mSrrESU8caD9BM10g2Lqhg5Lcio9XcI74GXdzg

Wonderful work, Jack.  I do hope you stay well as it's not easy being the caretaker for those who get the flu.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
Friday, February 17, 2017

Finally, I almost finished this long and tedious task . . now only a few small details are still missing.

While considering that I haven't spent a lot of time on shipmodeling in this period, due to various setbacks, it was still a job that has challenged the "prince" of ship modeling attitudes: being patient.

Could I spend less time if I used the CA glue instead of the vinyl one?

Most probably, but certainly the strength of the joints would not be the same, and here it is necessary to emphasize that this framework, for this specific model, plays a structural role rather seriously. In fact, now that the skeleton is almost complete, it works very well as an element that keeps rigid and not deformable the whole hull. This wasn't the same before this task, when it appeared like an empty shell. However, to avoid more risks, I left two fixed reinforcements (visible in the photos) plus one removable, that I will disinstall at the proper moment; they should prevent the shell to change its original shape.

I consider myself quite satisfied with the result even though, after a closer inspection, not all the ribs are perfectly aligned, perpendicular and equally spaced between them.

This goal seems like a pretty easy job to be achieved in the theory world, but incredibly difficult in practice. Indeed, probably impossible, because it is a problem that lies in the method of construction adopted, that is, 1) to prepare first the hull shell and 2) then subsequently build inside the backbone structure. There is the need to bend in the right shape every piece, to obtaining the correct camber bevel, to glue and clamp etc .. with all this matter to consider, errors of a few tenths of millimeter are very common.

Anyway it should be emphasized that very little of this complex rib structure will be really visible when all the remaining fitting details will be installed.

For this reason, to avoid hiding almost the incredibly profused workload to get here, I'm thinking to setup the bottom fitting not completely closed, perhaps completely removable, in order to see these interesting details.

We will see later. Now here are some photos of the model as it is today. Sincerely, Jack.

01 - 20170217_094533.jpg

y4miRKi1lbjICwF4UXYwAibsGyWm5DUN_ndyMB3-

02 - 20170217_094602.jpg

y4mYoau0m98qVjRQqzXfHFXfOlDTmGXKvALOZQuM

03 - 20170217_094623.jpg

y4mWjBBcbYo5j-Vat3tzLx4865q8v_BMKV94sGgW

04 - 20170217_094611.jpg

y4mE7xye0tVe8sXOXMjjZ3is2es9adZLKIiJ-MfP

05 - 20170217_094631.jpg

y4mLUwvXxS5JwuKrYeVEBuwJRg_4k1Yg1v1Y86bD

06 - 20170217_094641.jpg

y4m6CaUm7RIRkM7Y9kXqcMrD4pJqW7QZ89VdSXQg