Well its time to make fresh start. So a new beginning a new project can you all stand another swan class build. Have not decided which one as the title says would like to do one that is different any suggestions.

So it begins with a white tube from Admiralty models. Its the basic plans that will start the journey. Beware this is the first time I have ever done anything like this. So I hope you all will keep me on the right course. I'll try and make it different than other swan build where other members are leading the way in quality.

In the next I will take a look at my version of a slipway (posh for base board)

Yours Gary

Looking forward to your build, Gary. I encourage you to spend some time thinking about how you wish to display her before starting the project. Options include in frame, partially planked, fully planked or windowed hull. Rigged vs. unrigged. Possibilities are endless. Plan on speding several years on the project. Don't forget that if you don't want to fully frame her due to the difficulty and time constraints you can use the frame patterns to do a plank on bulkhead model. I have seen very few Georgian style Swan class models and I think they are lovely.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Welcome on the Swan Class shipyards. If you can see in my signature I am also working on a model. I decided to build HMS Fly, because I like the painted friezes.

I will follow your log with interest

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Greg and Christian thanks for replying
I've given it a lot of thought on how to display the model here are my first thoughts they will probably change. Fully framed with chocks and fastenings, whales on both sides and planked partly on one side don't know how much. Decks fully framed and part planked. Guns on one side only fully rigged. As to masts perhaps as if in reserve striped to lower masts and a little bit of rigging.

Yours Gary

Gary, 

you are at the beginning of a very long journey. I think it will be a good idea to notice your thoughts about the appearance of the finished model, but it is not necessary to finish this thoughts in the moment. 

I am working a little bit longer on my model, but I am in a similar stage. I decided to notice what I linke to show and finalize these thoughts after completing the framing. One of my ideas is to show also the ship boats. But I haven't decide how. Stored, Beside the model or in a small scene with the real ship...

One good idea is to have a look in the different building logs on MSW, see what other modelers did and decide if you like the appearance. 

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just had a pleasant afternoon looking through the drawings and printing one or two. Wanted to check that I've the size right checking against the main drawing it appears so. But to check are the fig on the side and the bottom actual sizes for scale. Wanted to make sure its right before printing them all out. Thanks in advance.

Yours Gary

• 2 months later...

First things first I would like to wish everybody a happy new year.

Things have been a bit slow over the holiday period in fact nothing has been done for to long.

When I last posted the frame patterns had been printed and timber sorted to which thickness was needed for what part.

Now came the first problem off how to get the shapes for the stem and deadwood. The maylar plan could not be damaged as I would need it for a long time. first attack was to try to scan them but there was to much distortion. So I came with this method first drawing a grid on paper and placing it under the plan then I had a ref to draw the shape on the computer which made changes easy. Then it was just a case off placing under the plan to check the shapes.

Yours Gary

post-22009-0-96029100-1484147126.jpg

post-22009-0-59489100-1484147152.jpg

Hi Gary,

I scanned the entire Mylar and used autocad to trace the parts accurately and printed them on separate PDFs on normal printer paper

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Gary,

I'd take Ben up on his generous offer. But, what I do is scan just the part of the Mylar plan I am working on (such as the knee of the head) on my small scanner as a pdf file. I open them in Adobe Photoshop Elements and they print perfectly to scale. Just make sure you choose the "print actual size" option in the printer dialog box.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just been comparing my drawings off the head stern and deadwood with the pdf's Ben sent me (Thanks again Ben ) and they match almost perfectly so must be doing some thing wright. So have made a start cutting out the paper patterns. There are so many its easy to see why these sort of models take so long. For a bit of a change I tried laying some off the parts out to get the best layout for glue on the timber.

Yours Gary

post-22009-0-34743800-1485103365.jpg

post-22009-0-57578200-1485103395.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

druxey i'am trying to be mathodical so as not to waste wood as geting more to match might be a problem from across the water.

Kevin I've been watching your build and found it a very informative and it's given me ideas to adapet to my way off working.

Progress has been a bit slow but all the fore and aft cant frames have been cut out. Then I have moved on to the main frames. After getting most off them done I realised that I'd done them wrong in not allowing for the scarphs so have started them again.Well the good thing is it was only in paper and not wood.

post-22009-0-32504400-1486034834.jpg

The wrong one is on the left.

Yours Gary

Yeh Gary,

I have made some silly mistakes when cutting out frames, only piece of absolute advice I can definitely give is check the scale every time you print a set out plans for the framing - ask me how I know!!

Ben

• 3 years later...
On 2/3/2017 at 5:10 PM, Trussben said:

Yeh Gary,

I have made some silly mistakes when cutting out frames, only piece of absolute advice I can definitely give is check the scale every time you print a set out plans for the framing - ask me how I know!!

Ben

Have recently embarked on the Antscherl Practicum of the Swan Class (Pegasus 1/48) and am looking to connect to any willing to share their experience in that project, as there are inevitable questions that arise. 
Henry

Henry,

The best way to do that is to also start a build log for it.  Iam sure all of the folks who have built this will follow your progress as you build a Swan Class model.

I encourage you to do so...

Chuck

By all means Henry, post a build log. As well, study the build videos posted by Kevin. They are very detailed and he happily shows his mistakes and how to correct them. In addition check out the many Swan class logs. Amongst them are Dan, Toni, Remco  and Ben. They may already be tagged. If not perhaps Chuck can show how it's done.

Greg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Simply click on the tag in the title of this topic...."POF Swan Series"

You will be presented with a nice list.  We may have missed a few as we are still tagging.  Perhaps Greg can send me a PM with a link of any that I might have missed.

Chuck