Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner by Chris V - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

Managed to get the cap rail on. Took a while and there were more than a few challenges with the 'seat of comfort' which I always thought of as a 'head.' Puget Sound is a no discharge zone and so is the coastal water up to 3 miles out in most places. I can't believe you can discharge untreated sewage in Maine today (this boat is from Maine) or that this boat would not have a proper head within the last 50 years. Just for traditional looks I guess. Anyway, another milestone and a good place to stop for the night.

post-26614-0-74230000-1480907832_thumb.jpg

Completed build: 1:24 Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner by Model Shipways

"The Only Difference Between Ordeal and Adventure is Attitude". Bob Bitchin AKA Robert Lipkin

Not much progress in the last few days. Haven't been in the mood, tired and today I have the shakes. Cut one Carling for the aft cabin three times and it's still too short! Anyway, taking a little break. More pictures when the cabins are done.

"The Only Difference Between Ordeal and Adventure is Attitude". Bob Bitchin AKA Robert Lipkin

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the aft cabin done and a good start on the forward one. I don't know why these cabins are proving to be such a challenge. Noticed there is one port light missing so called John at Model Expo. The part of on its way. Nice folks there and I highly recommend this business to any modeler in search of kits, parts or tools.

post-26614-0-84269500-1482250111_thumb.jpg

First a belated thanks for all the replies and likes. A bit of progress. Both cabins are now done and a few other little things. Also got a good start on the rudder assembly. My gf took this new profile pic of me while I was concentrating on the rudder. I didn't even know she took it till she sent it to me! Thought it looked better than the train pic in my old profile pic and also more appropriate so I changed it. I came up one port light short for some reason and talked to John at Model Expo the other day. The new port light arrived today, just in time! Only thing was, instead of just one they sent me a whole pack of 21. I will send the others back on Monday. I'm a bit apprehensive about starting the metal work for the rudder and Jib boom as I've never soldered like this before though I have done some electrical soldering. Maybe it's not that different. At any rate I don't have any solder so will have to wait till Monday to get some. I'm also unsure how to turn a pin into a bolt and nut for the bobstay stem plates. Looking for any advice here and thanks again.

post-26614-0-00119400-1482630001_thumb.jpg

The instructions say that I'm done with the hull! The windless turned out to be a little short to fit on the bits so I decided to try to stretch it. Wrong. The bar popped right off one side. Fortunately there was a small dowel included that was the perfect size. Cut an inch or so off, drilled the capstans and, ta-da a perfect fix. Next, the kit came with rope for the anchors but no chain. The anchor holds the chain, the chain in turn holds the boat. Luckily the gf had a broken chain in her jewelry box that was perfect - already tarnished and everything. I didn't even have to paint it. Ever tried to paint a model chain and have it remain flexible? All in all a pretty good morning. Taking a break then will start making masts or maybe rig the jib boom. I was looking at the model last night among all the clutter on the table and thought "I can't believe I built that". I think it looks pretty darn good for a first time, mistakes and all.

post-26614-0-92354800-1483218485_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-91126700-1483218601_thumb.jpg

Masts stepped. The dowels are different woods as you can see by the color. I didn't like it at first but now I think it adds character. The main was very hard wood and I had a dickens of a time plaining, filing, sanding etc. I split out the square for the hole in the deck easily enough. The fore mast is a lot softer and went much faster. Picked up some cloth to make the furled sails, some wooden beads for the booms and a pair of new hemostats to help with the impending rigging. Probably done for the day and just sitting back admitting my work. Oh almost forgot, had a small catastrophe - I had a bowl full of chips and sawdust, quite a lot of it actually. Well when filling on the main mast in the vice, the table got to shaking and, wammo, the bowl hit the baseboard heater and then the floor. Big mess but between me and gf got most of it picked up. Didn't save it though as I think I'm beyond needing it on this model and I'll have plenty more on the next one.

post-26614-0-76377400-1483398256_thumb.jpg

Chris,

I'm really enjoying your build log... I am so impressed with the beautiful lines of this little ship, and with your craftsmanship. I'm looking forward to starting a build of Glad Tidings in a month or so ( I am so slow!)

Rob

OMG. Cut out and iron hemmed a sail and put in one reef point. Then started on the bolt rope. Someone mentioned on a previous post that the thread in my kit may not be the best. What an understatement that turned out to be! Got in 3 stitches and had a knot monster. Took it out and started over. Same thing! This thread quickly fuzzes and unravels terribly. I did draw it thru bees wax too. Anyway, it's totally unacceptable. I need a good source for rigging thread now. I have a shopping cart ready for Syren but they seem pretty expensive, however I have nothing to compare them to. Still, $32.00 seems a bit much for 5 things of thread. Suggestions?

Chris,

The quality of rope from Chuck is worth the money.

I have several yards of his roping. Well spent money.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Chris

i am also working at this large scale.  I too went to chuck's site and picked several different lines and ordered them along with a few sample blocks..  His work is gorgeous.  

I have a rope walk sort of set up and am still a coward.  I will however try to make my own sometime this winter.   it reminds me however of a duck dinner. It's  $30 dollars in a restaurant or $300 to go duck hunting.

cheers 

Chris, Chuck's rope is the best you will find. His other stuff is top notch too. He's also a good guy who is willing to offer his time to us newbies.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

So, I went ahead and ordered six packs of thread from Chuck. Will be more or less on hold until it gets here but from the feedback I'm getting from you folks, it'll be worth it. Thanks all for the likes and replays.

All of the spars are completed and the sails are cut out for displaying as furreled. Although the impatience bug has bitten, I will wait for tomorrow and some natural light to finish the sails. I really want to start rigging but I must wait for the new thread to arrive as I don't want to have to do it twice, or as we say at work, "we don't have time to do it right the first time, but we will have plenty of time to do it over on overtime". I'm thinking about the sequence of rigging and wondering if it would not be prudent to do it backwards. That is to say, bend on the sails first, then the running rigging and finally the standing rigging. That way I won't be reaching through completed lines to tie others. I'll be working from the middle out instead of the outside in. It's done that way on the real boat but the workers are not 300 feet tall with 20 foot hands. I'll get a picture up after the sails are bent on tomorrow.

Started working on the sails. The instructions say to sew through the bolt rope, not around it. I didn't have any luck sewing through it so as an experiment tried around it. Was a lot easier and came out better and the sails being furled, you can't see most of it anyway. The main sail has two sets of hidden reef points that no one will ever see. The spanker will not have any! I was dreading tying 21 square lashings for the mast hoops so did a Utube search. Saw a technique and decided to give it a try. A simple persik knot around the hoop, each bitter end through the sail from opposite sides, a half hitch on the bottom and finish off with a reef knot on top. Looks good and easy-peasy to do. I only have them furled on the boom temporarily with a couple of temp stays for the picture. I read somewhere that the gaffs should be displayed in the sailing position and looking at this boat I have to agree even though the real boat would never look like that. With the gaffs down, the whole stern would look very empty and the tweenmasts would look unfinished. So taking a bit of modelers license they will be rigged in the hoisted position. Can't wait for my new rope to get here.

post-26614-0-99696700-1483942994_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-62744000-1483943082_thumb.jpg

Standing rigging done! The chain supplied in the kit was too small for me to work with. Couldn't get a wire or ring or even two threads through it. Luckily, there was still the broken necklace that seems perfectly suited to the purpose of both anchor chain and inner bobstay. The next thing I learned is that Britannia castings melt! Have been using CA glue to glue them to wood but thought that brass to casting would be better with solder. Only partially melted one casting but managed to salvage and still use it. Funny thing, I had a heck of a time cutting the stove pipe - went through two cut off wheels. Guess I could have just touched it with the soldering iron. Looking forward to finishing the Glad Tidings and getting the Pride of Baltimore next for almost free due to the offer when I purchased this kit. I don't know how Model Expo stays in business with all the stuff they give away. Anyway, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth as my hobby budget is limited. I have already talked to John and their offer is good so I intend to take advantage of it. Course I'll still need paint, pedestal and a few new tools....

post-26614-0-31791800-1485036974_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-65052400-1485036989_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-63215500-1485037083_thumb.jpg

First build finished! Will order the next one first thing in the morning, the Pride of Baltimore from Model Shipways @ ModelExpo-online.com.

post-26614-0-96201000-1485136371_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-65690200-1485136401_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-53717200-1485136421_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-82772100-1485136459_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-06858100-1485136484_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-52315800-1485136503_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-07565700-1485136527_thumb.jpg

Yikes! I forgot to send kudos to Chuck at Syren Ship Model Company. I'm glad I went ahead and purchased his rope. Most definitely worth the money and great customer service. Thanks Chuck!

I am so impressed with your build (mightily impressed by your build log, too!).  I've been considering Glad Tidings for a few weeks and your build is certainly pulling me in that direction.  Beautiful work, thank you so very much for posting!

Rob 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll second Legends note: Don't know if you're still around the site, but yeah, great job.  You made it look easy. (I'm just starting to plank my own Glad Tidings.)

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie