Two Edwardian type launches by Cap'n'Bob - small - 1:48 - Finished

David, I brush on two or three coats of acrylics I buy at the local craft store.  I usually buy Americana brand.  The blue is Primary Blue.  The other boat will chang from white to Tomato Red.  And then a couple coats of Minwax Polycrylic. 

Bob

post-513-0-95652900-1487087544_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-84954100-1487088265_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

It was all by accident.  A lot of members talk about "wipe on poly" so I went to get some.  My admiral is on O2  24 / 7 and cannot stand the fumes from most paints so when I saw the Minwax Polycrylic I had to try it.  It's nice on these boats that are normally highly polished, but Its too shiny for most of my boats. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

So here we are finished.  It was fun building these two boats.  But I don’t think I will build two at the same time again.  One is enough.  Thank everyone for looking in and commenting and thanks to the likers also.

So what next?  I’ve wanted to build the SS Mariefred.  I down loaded lines from the museum but they are so far out that I don’t know if I can correct them.  I also want to build the Alma tug from Morro Bay.  She was instrumental in saving the lives of the seamen whose tanker was sunk by a Japanese sub of the coast of California during WWII.  Then there is the Thealka.  A little side wheel steamer whose name should have been The Alka but the painter forgot to put in the space.  And again I want to build the Lagunitas RR ferry in HO scale for my nephew who’s into that sort of thing.  And that’s just a few of the boats on my list.

Bob

Meanwhile here are the pictures.

post-513-0-20587300-1487360636_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-93091900-1487360640_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-31488800-1487360645_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-32904500-1487360649_thumb.jpg

These are just awesome. The more I look, the more I like. Great colors, details, and appearance. Congratulations on a couple of fine finished scale models.

Russ

Congratulations Bob,

two lovely elegant launches, and a nice close of the smooth "twins" scratch build. They look so sweet and inviting for a ride on the lake. Very well done, you can be proud of your work.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hey Bob

Congratulations!!!! Those launches of yours are simply magnificent. I love their charm and character and how they can take us back to a 'gentler and slower' pace of life. Oh, to be on one of the boats on some lake in a beautiful part of the countryside.

We can only dream, can't we?

Lovely stuff, Bob.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Agree with all,  I look at your boats and my imagination sends me back in time to the early 1900's. Well done.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Beautiful launches Bob.  Very befitting of a day on the river or lake.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow so many responses.  I did not know there were so many following my build.  I'll have to be more carful in the future.  Any way, thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. 

Bob

Bob, what a delightful pair of launches, I enjoyed watching them come together.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow so many responses.  I did not know there were so many following my build.  I'll have to be more careful in the future.  Any way, thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. 

Bob

Bob,

I don't know how you could be more careful. Don't think about it too much. We love your work and your careful explanations. For me, I like the fact that you are also adept with the software. You're an inspiration!

TB

Now that I know so many of my audience are what I consider master builders, I'll need to up my game.

Thank you all for the likes and praise. 

Bob

Beautifully done Bob.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks Keith.

Bob

the dynamic duo!   from start to finish,  I have to agree that the build time was very well spent........but as  I mentioned earlier,  a well thought out plan and direction,  will hasten a build.   they were enjoyable to watch Bob........happy to see you had enough of that window film.   congratz to you my friend.....you deserve every accolade for this fine pair of boats.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye and I still have window film left, Thanks.

Thanks Lawrence, They were fun to build except, as always, during a build I get thinking of the next build and I have to force myself to finish this first. 

My next build will be the SS Mariefred.  I got good drawings from the museum.  I should apologize to them.  The first set of drawings were just off the web and not from the museum that holds the drawings.  

Hope to see you all soon at the new build.

Bob

Thanks Gary.  And now on to other builds.

Bob

I also want to build the Alma tug from Morro Bay.  She was instrumental in saving the lives of the seamen whose tanker was sunk by a Japanese sub of the coast of California during WWII. 

Bob, I live 5 minutes from where the Alma is on display here in Morro Bay. If I can be any help with photos and such let me know. It is part of the Central Coast Maritime Museum that I just finished up my build of the Dirty Dozen abalone fishing boat at 1/12 scale. Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Beautiful work on those two launches Bob.  I thoroughly enjoyed browsing your log.
Congratulations!

What's next?

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com