A fully functional submarine from Spain 1858

dgbot

love it :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

I don't know about fully functional, but I'm pretty sure experiments were made in Napoleon's time but failed to go into full production because Napoleon refused to fund such a diabolical machine . . .

The Turtle was used against the British during the Revolutionary War in an attempt to break the blockade. The mine could not be attached because the drill would not penetrate the copper bottom, otherwise the sub worked as intended. Don't remember where but there was an earlier under water vessel that used oars.

jud

What a great find David. I love the idea that the first submarines were made out of wood. I recently read a novel series 'Fletcher and the Mutineers' where a wooden submarine was an important part of the story. The three books claim to be based on the diary of an actual person. All 3 books were a fun read, especially the part with the submarine.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=john+drake+fletcher+series&sprefix=john+drake%2Cundefined%2C235&crid=MGPYFEK373WW&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Ajohn+drake+fletcher+series

Edited by Mike40

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

• 2 weeks later...

A number of years back this submarine was featured in a model build in the forums. Cant remember much all that data has been lost now.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.