Ryland Craze

Ryland Craze's Carving Attempts - #11 Blades

This will be my first attempt at carving since I was a Cub Scout earning my Whittling Chip Award many years ago.  I ordered the carving blanks from the NRG and received them a couple of days after placing my order.  I am amazed at the fine details created by the laser.  I mounted my carving blank using the instructions in the Getting started....mounting your carving blanks...and removing them when finished topic.

The next step is to remove the char from the blank.

post-15-0-81843300-1478097422_thumb.jpg

CDW, Shipyard sid, Chuck and 8 others like this

Great to see you in the shop Ryland....hope you are doing well.   Enjoy the carving.  One thing I did was draw in on the blank where all of my stop cuts were going to go before I started carving.

Jack12477, mtaylor, davec and 3 others like this

I have been working on my carving and have attached a picture of my progress to date.  I may clean it up with some 600 grit sand paper before I release the carving from its backing.  I think it will look a lot better once I apply some wipe on poly to this.  One result of this carving is that I want to get back to working on my Longboat, which is long overdue for some attention.

post-15-0-79568600-1479325106_thumb.jpg

dvm27, Mike Y, tlevine and 13 others like this

Thanks Jay, Jack and Chuck and also the "likes".  I am looking forward to mounting this carving on a model, possibly a kit of a Queen Anne Style Royal Barge that is to be released sometime in the future.

Chuck, Blighty, Jack12477 and 4 others like this