Triton 1/48 by The Learner

And so the build starts!

I have printed out the keel plans and will start cutting wood for the build. The Keel I will make using  maple

The Board is from anouther build, plenty of room for this build!

Note: I have removed this first picture because they include a image of the plans that are copyright'd

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

It was the HMS Druid which started out as a Hahn build but I moved to here to finish, I got the idea for the board fron the old site someone elses build.

Took awhile to find as I did not take that many pictures but here is a picture of one of the mast and the ship on the shelf

post-1091-0-29663200-1364650151_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-80207200-1364650173_thumb.jpg

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Hahn's HMS Druid is on my list of items to try to do someday. Your's looks good. More pics some day in another thread of course.

Good Luck on your HMS Triton.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Welcome on board. I will follow your HMSTriton build with great interest.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you Daniel, The first set keel plans do not show these dimensions 

At 1:48 I have part from an 8mm timber. I´ll edit this tomorow.

Daniel.

And Thank You AP! may I call you AP?

Welcome on board. I will follow your HMSTriton build with great interest.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

The keel is started but I need the sided deminisions to start the deadwood at the stearn and the bow.

Before I start that I will embed the nuts in the keel to secure to the building board and eventually the final mounting if the model is completed

oops I never put the nuts in the keel and will have to do so now that I have most of the frames installed~!

post-1091-0-49975800-1364759251_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-98722300-1364759267_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-16028300-1364759298_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-82644300-1364759309_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-85435300-1364759324_thumb.jpg

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Nice looking scarf joints, Guy. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Pete, its not perfect but practice makes perfect

Nice looking keel....scarf joint is real nice

and the same to you sir! Thanks

Nice looking scarf joints, Guy. 

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I have started downloading the plans, WOW! that will take some time but for now I have only down loaded the Keel, and stearn Deadwood and I can see I already have some rework To do on the keel. 

How long are the plans access available to me?

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy, (Is this your name?) yeah it takes a while to download the files. There is a pdf list on "Trition Line's Drawings" that I posted don´t Know when but it is pretty helpful. It´s from the old MSW 1.0. I recomend you to buy lots of folders and put it together in a biger one.

One thing. Why you cut straight piece #5 of the keel? the one that meets the stem where the keel actually ends.

Good scarfs! Mines are crap.

Daniel.

Daniel,

Have downloaded all the files for the complete build, yes it tool awhile. There are also some duplicate files that had me a little confused at first, but with all the files you had to upload I can certainly understand.

One of the drawings I did not see is the one that sits on top of the keel to separate the frames (for a better name) but I need to go back through them again and see if I missed it

Yes Its Guy

I went through all the builds and did not see what I though should sit on top of the keel ...... Have I lost my mind!? do I have CRS? chuckle

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy:

Are you talking about the rising wood? That may be part of the keel itself on the plans. I did not participate in the drawings on the full hull, but on the cross section, we included the rising wood in the keel.

Rus

Hi Guy,

You've done a remarkable work on your Druid and your Triton is coming along beautifully, very neat work on those scarph joints :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Yes I believe that is what it is called and I could not find this in the drawings and when I went back through the other builds I did not see any that used (rising wood ) I will have to go back and study the plans as I know I saw a build using the rising wood on top ot the keel. I did not see this drawing in the cross section either

Guy:

Are you talking about the rising wood? That may be part of the keel itself on the plans. I did not participate in the drawings on the full hull, but on the cross section, we included the rising wood in the keel.

Rus

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy:

That is included in the keel. The keel and rising wood are NOT separate pieces in the Triton build. We designed the keel to be done with the keel and rising wood all together for ease of building. Remember, the framing and structural details for the Triton build are simplified from what you would see on the actual ship. It is still POF, but not the actual POF like the Echo or Swan class builds.

Russ

Thanks russ will go back aln look at the keel drawing.

Guy:

That is included in the keel. The keel and rising wood are NOT separate pieces in the Triton build. We designed the keel to be done with the keel and rising wood all together for ease of building. Remember, the framing and structural details for the Triton build are simplified from what you would see on the actual ship. It is still POF, but not the actual POF like the Echo or Swan class builds.

Russ

Thank you Sinan, Perhaps you will be the one person that will get me through the build!

Guy I will follow your build! welcome to the Triton family :P

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Hello Guy!

When I started this Practicum back in 2011 I did make lots of research and studied the plans and everything. I drawed lots of sketches just to explain myself how the hull would work. Then I realized that we are working with plans that are just for this task. An "easy" way to start with the POF scratch. No rising wood, no filling pieces, no diminishing strakes...

So I made a decision: Stick to the plans. It is up to us to improve them and add more and more details according to our skills.

Believe me, this practicum is far way beyond from where I was especting as a beginer in 2011.

Best wishes.

Daniel.

post-87-0-16041700-1365157695_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-82586200-1365157710_thumb.jpg

The sketches are just that. As you can see there´s not rising wood at all. The sketches are some "thinking" and might be wrong . It´s up to the moderators to erase this post.

Edited by harvey1847

Before the post is erased!

Thanks for the encouragement Russ, I will add the drawings to my files for future refrence. I need to do more research on the rising wood issue.

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy:

I would not worry too much about the rising wood issue. If you stick with the drawings, it will work just fine.

Russ

I will not worry too much about the rising wood but will definately do a little research on it.

Any way back to the keel, not that I have access to the full set of plans I have started my first re-work! Luckly just some additional cutting back of the fore end of the keel. first picture shows keel as first fabricated and the second picture shows the re-work still needing a little smoothing out. 

first section of keel

post-1091-0-99687500-1365311621_thumb.jpg

keel modified!

post-1091-0-53910100-1365316628_thumb.jpg

and I have figured it out

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy,

I use the upload functuon off MSW. It works just beautyful. Have a look at your last post. Perhaps you've uploaded the pictures twice?

Your first keel section looks good. I would redo the false keel. It seems that you have damaged it during your modification.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali