Triton 1/48 by The Learner

Guy,what amazing work.I never tought about a mill but it looks like you did in a couple hours what took me a couple of weeks.Nice work. I guess I should put a mill on my "I wish I had the money list".It is a very long list

Best Regards;  Larry :P  :(

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

NIce clean and sharp work, Guy.  Looks super.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Guy

I love what you did you did to make a thickness planner. LOVE IT!!

OMG.

Going to copy that one..THANKS.

Your wood working looks like it's going great also.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Well Good Work and Good Ideas need Good Feedback. Goes hand in hand.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Wonderful progress, Guy. Yourd deadwood looks very good.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Stumped! does any one from the previous build have pictures of the fore deadwood and the stem piece on how this is formed? I need to know if the thickness of the deadwood continues up the entire stem? The drawing tends to infer that but what few pictures posted on the current build does not display this.

Yellow highlighted area!

Photo removed because it is a copyright plan

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

I would think it is the same thickness for this model. In real life, perhaps not, but for the purposes of this simplified construction, yes.

Russ

Guy:

That entire area is structural so I am guessing it would need to be thick like the stem. Past that, I am not sure what confuses you. If you make the entire piece the same thickness then I am not sure why you are asking where to stop. Can you be more specific about what is confusing you?

Russ

Hi Guy,

Here's my take on the thicknesses of your component parts (Russ, kindly correct me for any mistakes in my interpretation).

As seen in the pic below, you basically just repeat the same thicknesses you did with the stern. Deadwood and adjacent components (D) would follow the same thicknesses as your stern and ends up as a deeper notch at the Rabet ( R ). Rising wood (Ri) is slightly thicker than deadwood and tapers down as you approach the Rabbet ( R ). Like in the stern, the rabbet at the stem is basically the same thickness throughout:

post-256-0-39287100-1369519967_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Aldo:

If that works, then so be it. The original intent of this project was to have a simplified form of construction. What worked at the stern should, in theory, work at the stem. However, the more we try to overthink this, the more confusing it might get. I do not know how much more simple we could try to make this though.

Until I know what is confusing him, I really do not know what to suggest.

As for comparing this to the Swan class project, it is really apples and oranges. To do that kind of framing is really getting away from what the Triton project was supposed to be all about. We never intended to go into that sort of detail. However, if folks want to do that, I reckon they can try it, but it will be difficult using the Triton plans as they are drawn.

Russ

Thanks for the clarification, Russ, my apologies for using a Swan Class vessel as an example, I have removed the pics to avoid any further confusion.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi guys! Thanks for the input, not trying to make this difficult but if you look at the drawing it appears that the thickness of the deadwood continues up the stem. I am going to taper it off about the same spot that it would be tapered off on the stern then deal with any additional removal of wood when I attach the frames and the hawse pieces. At some point, I would like to do some profile drawings to show these proportions more clearly. Sorry this is my first upright build so there are still a lot of things that I do not understand in the drawings. In the mean time, I made my first full frame at the stern to start that off.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy, the lower and upper apron have the same size as the lower and upper stem.

But don't be worried about this detail, after installing the hawse pieces, you will not see very much of it.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The build progresses!

The stern deadwood,

post-1091-0-54231700-1370535092_thumb.jpg

Cutting the flat sections of the stem sections,

post-1091-0-38475200-1370535556_thumb.jpg

Using the mill on the flat sections allow for a good tight fit because all surfaces are flat!

post-1091-0-75364800-1370535192_thumb.jpg

Gluing up of the stem...do I have enough clamps?

post-1091-0-01420000-1370535757_thumb.jpg

More to come

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I have started building frames and I am working from stern to stem. I will make up all the frames before I attach to the keel and at the rate I am going its going to take a couple three  weeks.

This is the adhesive I use for applying the frame pattern pieces to the wood. I find this works better than rubber cement  as it tends to stay better when cutting out the piece, but yep the pattern does not come up quite as easy. for the most part I just dampen the paper pattern with mineral spirits and it will lift off fairly easy but still have to clean off the adhesive residue.

post-1091-0-89278000-1370766982_thumb.jpg

Placing the patterns on the frame blank board and a few frames in stock

post-1091-0-67049300-1370767023_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-81337700-1370767052_thumb.jpg

As I said before i will make all the frames before I prepare them for attaching on the keel. I have yet figured out how I will cut the angle on the heel of the cant frames to attach them to the deadwood. I will try and involve using the mill ..... we'll see! I will likely have to cut up a few new frames to replace the ones I  screw up! I hope it is not too many!

To be continued!

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Hi all, there seems to be a frame overlap here on frames 24, 25 and 26 in the stern framing? am I looking at it wrong or are the frames trimed to fit here?

post-1091-0-31809600-1370792586_thumb.jpg

as you can see there is not a good fit here...this if from anouthers post for refrence only

post-1091-0-93442400-1370794976.jpg

and One more stupid sounding question!

When attaching the frames to the keel should I be adding filling pieces for the floor?????

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Does any one save the scraps from the cutting out of the frames?

scrap pile from 3 or 4 frame pieces

post-1091-0-15801300-1370796897_thumb.jpg

Pile of 5 frames waiting to be trimed

post-1091-0-29884800-1370796924_thumb.jpg

I chuck my pieces unless they are unusally large that I think I can use

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy,

The scrap box has it's uses...   Sometimes you just need a scrap chunk of wood to make something or for use as a support or prop.  For the most part, mine is destined to either be kindling for the fireplace (chunks with glue) or used in the BBQ for smoking dinner (cherry and pear -- without any glue).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hope I do not have to chuck any glued up frames into the scrap box because they are defective! so far most of the scrap pile is jusy remnants  from the frame cut outs left over scrap

We have gas fire places here so that won't work perhaps in the barbeque but it too is gas! perhaps I can make a miniture bonn fire on the beach.

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Hi all, there seems to be a frame overlap here on frames 24, 25 and 26 in the stern framing? am I looking at it wrong or are the frames trimed to fit here?

attachicon.gifFrame overlap 24,5,6 copy.jpg

as you can see there is not a good fit here...this if from anouthers post for refrence only

attachicon.gifpost-3301-0-74478100-1365088918_thumb.jpg

and One more stupid sounding question!

When attaching the frames to the keel should I be adding filling pieces for the floor?????

Can any one give me some directions here?

My band saw blade broke (its old) and I am having it rewelded so have not resawed any wood for the frames. I will have the old one back tomorrow so perhaps I can cut some pieces out

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA