Triton 1/48 by The Learner

• 7 months later...

I am still here but other things have gotten more priority than my hobby, but I plan on getting back to it soon. in the meantime I have been enjoying other post!

Thanks G. L.

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

This are really good news.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guy,

Just catching up, nice to see you've completed framing the hull, she's shaping up nicely, Sir, I'm looking forward to your resumption of your build.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks  Lawrence! If I ever get back to it!!! if you followed the builds that were provided I think you will see that most of us did not use the rap around building board but as you can see from about page 4 on I do have a building board just not one that wraps around the upper part of the frames. This is my first build of this type and as you can see I have a long way to go on it. It seems that every one in the shipyard has gone on vacation, LOL

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:25 AM, rdsaplala said:

Hello Guy,

Just catching up, nice to see you've completed framing the hull, she's shaping up nicely, Sir, I'm looking forward to your resumption of your build.

ME TOO! LOL

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 1 month later...

Guy is still here! and my Triton is still siting on my work bench! have done very little work on it but have not taken it off the todo list yet. Life sort of takes over when you least expect, I actually retired in January but started a project in the house which my wife and I have been planning for several year, "remodeling the kitchen" actually turning every thing up side down! I still work on models when I have an occasion, I now have 5 in the dry-docks. I promise you I will get back to my  Triton build before the end of the year!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, canoe21 said:

Hello Guy

I have just found your build log on the HMS Triton. Great job you are doing on your ship and I can see very much improvement in your building skills even from post to post. I have often thought that I would like to build one of these frame builds just like you are doing but have been afraid to get my feet wet so to speak, you are doing such a great job on yours that who knows I may make that big jump.

One question though is there a reason that you have decided against a building board as all of the other builds of this type have always been with a building board?

Keep up the great work and I will continue to follow and maybe build up enough courage to build one of these frame ships in my Old Ship Yard,              ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

This is not my first POF but the first time using this method, Hann method before. Great job on the African Queen.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 5 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2014 at 11:51 PM, harvey1847 said:

:D :D :D :D :D !!!

I doubt it Guy. With that ribband method and the squares to set the fore cant frames you are saving lots of time... I "spent" lot of time building the stern and stem jigs. On next projects I will go your way, a base board and lots of square sets.

what is the other building you are working on?!

Best wishes Guy!

daniel.

Daniel! I hate to admit it but I have 8 models in drydock in various stages, some are mine from scratch and some were started by some one else (3) and I have taken over their builds. 

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This are good news. I like to watch your progress. I hope that I can start et the end of the year with my version of tis beautiful little frigate.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 3 weeks later...

Still hanging! Build is still on my work bench, along with several others. I always thought that when you retired you had a lot more free time ...... well not true. Its really  less time.. for one you move slower and more people want your time!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ed! Following your builds have been wonderful learning experience and look forward to you next project. Question are you going to post a build log for the PS HOPE? And why did you decide to use this ship for your new book as there is already a lot of material published describing her. 

Edited by the learner
Correct spelling

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok time for me to get back to this build. I need to straighten out some of the frames and rework the gun ports that have opened up or were located in the incorrect plane, not square, irregular or insufficient size of the cross beam.  I will start with building up the insides. I have decided I will do no masting or rigging so I will have to show as much of the interior construction as possible and keep the exteriour as open as possible.  Bon voyage!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 1 year later...

Well life sure gets in the way! I definitely got side tracked for quite sometime and now find myself recuperating from lower left leg amputation, it like it will be a long time before I ever get back to the triton build. Sorry guys, perhaps I can change my name from the learner to "peg leg"

Regards. The learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy, I'm really sorry to hear that news. Triton will still be there when you are ready, it is a great thread and will finish one day with a great  model.

Perhaps you want to pull up a chair and steer me toward the light with my Mediator build which I am resurrecting?

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Bruce, thanks for the encouragement, I am trying hard, doing all the required Pt exercises and then some. I don't have to stand to build, just have access. Yes I would love to follow along with your Mediator. Can you send me the link? I am using my phone to access the site! It will be awhile before I get to my 

computers.

Regards, Guy

The Learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I'm sorry to hear of the health problems, Guy.   I believe you'll get back to where you were with your attitude.   My ex- is an amputee and ran a support group for awhile.   If their experience is any measure, you seem to be on your way with the therapy.   If you can find one nearby, a support group will help as there's a wide variety of experience and knowledge to tap into.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks mayor, thanks for the encouragement and I know exactly which model I will tackle first. The one at the very right for which you can see the stern and the sail barley a gunboats with a peryauger (sp) bow spirit pointing upwardly.

0630161054a.jpg.7dd54a95f243f57aec7430a05e83a32e.jpg

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 2 weeks later...

Back home from the hospital 🏥 but will take me awhile before I get back out in garage to work on models but it's one of my top priorities along with other chores that I left hanging before they removed my lower left leg 🦵 cheers to everyone 

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy, I hope recovery continues to go well and you can back to doing the things you want.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)