HMCSS Victoria 1855 by Banyan - 1:72

Hi folks, I have nothing but conundrums at the moment :(  I need to resolve quite a few small issues/details before I can progress the build.

First up:  In the Victoria Contract it states: "To have three pairs of towing timbers on each side, as shown in the drawing, of Africa oak, secured in the usual way, each timber having an iron cap over it with a pin through the head."  Earlier, I made the decision/assumption that these probably refer to the bollards of which there are three pair.  The following extract, taken from of a woodcut (The London illustrated News - The launch of the Victoria) shows one pair of these, but this would have been prior to them having been finished with the cap and pins.

5988fcef556a4_Victoriaatlaunch_Bollards.jpg.2c6ca36486eb472e44380a0fa2c71837.jpg  

So, what does that actually mean? The following shows four possible interpretations.  A trawl of my references and the internet has not helped me resolve which way to go.  My leaning at the moment is option B which would be a square iron cap over (not just a plate on top as shown at A) with a pin through each timber not both as shown at D.  C is a full length cap using the timber as the inner structure.  

Bollards.png.f7ba0659ba871376a7560766d06ba221.png

Also, I believe the square/rectangular  shape would have been retained with perhaps a slight chamfer on each corner in the central part of the body vertically?

Suggestions most welcomed; and an image would be even better (circa mid 19th century).

The second issue:  Warping blocks - again the Contract states: "… Gallows, bitts and cross pieces, warping blocks on each bow and quarter with scores in them."

A search has failed to elicit sufficient detail to allow me to position them nor what they would look like.   The only reference I have found at the moment is in The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, Volume 1, by David Steel (1794) - a section on Blocks has a plate which amongst many others shows a warping block.  Shown below. Howeever, according to Falconer these were used for taking warps in ropemaking or the like.

I have looked through several seamanship references including Dana, Nares and Martelli but no decent explanation as to what they are used for or how they are fitted.  The bit about "with scores in them" throws me off as this could suggest they may not have been blocks at all?  I also do not think these were timber heads as they would have been called that?  I am starting to think that perhaps they may be some type of fairlead used to warp the ship etc.  the score could perhaps be an opening in the top to let in the rope?

5988fcf223570_WarpingBlock.jpg.1e588bfbdd756608a34c20a9497f7ddb.jpg

Again any help most gratefully received.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
Added new research results for Warping Block

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, I have been making slow progress lately as the research side of the project has taken more time than I can really spare and, I have been busy making furniture for the nursery for the soon to be born first grandchild.

The following pictures show some of the small items I have been, and continue, working on.  I have also completed the heads, stern bench and made a start on the common service lifebuoy (more on the latter in a later post).

First the pissdales.  These are only 8mm across, 4mm deep at the apex, and 4mm across the opening.  The drain tube looks a little out of scale in the photo but look OK in real life :)  These still need to be cleaned up a little.

Pissdales.thumb.JPG.a0481d3f4b2cd1d3f4133a8d9e20e020.JPG

The second photo shows the process of making the rudder gudgeons.  The process I have used is the one Ed Tostie described in his Naiad build and modified in his YA build; this process and works well once you learn to control the copper when cutting (hence the odd shape - it got away from me a couple of times :( ) - Ed did warn of it grabbing so my error :default_wallbash:.  These still have to be polished and cleaned up a little.  I have made 4 but only two show in the photo.  The wood strip is a jig of the same size as the rudder post (width and depth).  The straps are short as the rudder post is quite thin and in reality the gudgeon straps would have wrapped around the post.  however, as We have already fitted the propeller and its control mechanisms (see earlier posts) this is impossible now so will terminate at the end of the post.

Gudgeons.thumb.JPG.94269ab8c052494fe132b9afcf8f5eb0.JPG

The third photo shows where I am at in constructing the towing timbers (bollards).  These are about 75% complete; the process I used was to cut some 4mm brass square tube to length, solder a cap to the top, drill for the cross pin, insert and solder the cross pin, insert and solder the base locator pin.  The cross pins have yet to be trimmed to size and the ends rounded over with a cup burr.  The bottom round bar pins are for locating the bollards and to reinforce the glue connection.  Then, a lot of cleaning up before blackening.  I decided to make them from brass as at this scale, I found it near impossible to make a sub post of wood and add an iron cap.  These will be blackened and would appear much the same as if I had made them from wood and iron as the whole item was painted black anyway.  I don't know how Ed does such detailed work at this scale - respect!

59b66a87319d0_TowingTimbers.thumb.JPG.8b779442c47febad775e50a53930ca77.JPG

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Just an airfare Carl; I can provide the 'coldies' ;):)

cheers

Pat

Hi folks.

Some further progress on the rudder which is now ready to hang.  Below is the process for making the pintles which was made by first soldering two telescoping tubes of copper together to get to the right size for the leading edge of the rudder.  This thicker walled tube was then soldered to the the copper plate which was then cut on my hobby saw to the right strap thickness. The was pintle was then shaped on a former to the same thickness as the rudder blade.  

The photo with the raw materials shows the telescoping tubes with the smaller being the same size as the mating hole in the gudgeon.  The photo showing a near complete pintle (still to be drilled) and gudgeon shows a nice tight fit - the pintle still has cleaning of the solder to be completed.  

Everything is made of copper except the nails I used to simulate the rivet heads which are brass.  i tried making some small nails but have yet to refine/improve my technique (based on Ed Tosti's method) and really need to make a jig for this.  With my nerve issues I find I cannot hold the wire in a plier with grovve as Ed does.

These turned out okay as shown in the completed rudder, which I will hang after painting the rudder head and fitting the strap and eyes to accept the emergency chains and shackles.

59c0bc40041bf_RawMaterialsforPintles.thumb.JPG.1f0b31e8763688e02769916a3b6838cb.JPG

59c0bc446e7f7_GudgeonandPintle.thumb.JPG.9393051455ecd08d75f9e96683b9e5e1.JPG

59c0bc46dca3c_ChainsacklwPoint.JPG.cb766794c4f250fcb6bad2a8e0ce686a.JPG

Rudder.thumb.JPG.db6b607384e7fd3e968d8a1f56a12489.JPG

cheers

Pat

Lovely work, Pat.  I like the method of bending the straps back over the tube.  You may find that holding a piece of wire in a vise, then clipping the top off just above the jaws will allow you to peen a head on the nail just effectively as using the notched pliers.

Ed

The rudder looks outstanding - not only the metal work, very impressed with how you've attached those copper plates...looks completely to scale.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks for looking in Carl, Ed and Jason, much appreciate the feedback. Yep Carl, a 'tad' fiddly at 1:72 but if I can get half as good as Ed at it I will feel I am starting to accomplish :)  

Thanks for the tip on using the vise Ed, I'll give that a try.  I am also going to give the 'jeweller's mitre' I have a go.  Using the same technique of nipping off just above the face plate and peening with the mitre jig held in a vise with the face facing up.  I hadn't thought of that until your timely input.  I also need to go back through your work again to refine my polishing technique; I am still not controlling the 'piece' enough and it moves while filing - I think I need to get a better small vise :(

Thanks Jason, appreciate these comments after seeing your meticulous work.  As this is a 'club' build, I find I am often trying to repair/improve on some of the 'finish' applied by others - but in this case the copper sheathing plates were applied by a fellow club member (his first attempt at doing coppering) and he did a great job - I just needed to tidy up after cutting the holes etc for the pintles and glue back a couple of plates I dislodged in the process :)

cheers

Pat

I agree! are those even copper? They look too good. How are they made?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi Elijah, yep genuine copper :)  They are at correct scale of 1:72 and the sets come pre-stamped for port and stbd sides so you can get the pattern correct.  They are from AMATI I think (I will have to go back and check).

cheers

Pat

very nice work Pat.......the rudder,  gungeons and pintles look super! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for looking in Denis, and the kind comments.

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave and thanks for looking in.  It is great to see you back at your Endeavour also - some nice rigging detail you are achieving.  You will see some dramatic change to Victoria soon as I have been busy making lots of small parts and preparing the hull for its' coat of paint :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

• 1 month later...

Hi again folks.  It has been a while and I have been busy doing small parts in preparation to fit prior to starting to airbrush the model again.  I have still to make and fit the chainplates, and the common service lifebuoy before I can paint but I think I should be able to start in the next week or two.  

I have added the rails to the cheek pieces.  These are made from 0.5mm brass wire (stiffened); soldering these was not so difficult but drilling the holes in the top of the cheeks was a little daunting as they are only 1.2mm wide.  They still need a little cleaning up and blackening (or etching) so that paint will stick.  

59fffae77a2f2_StemDetailcopy.thumb.jpg.5f251367a6b472b9915618f3982a3c24.jpg

I have also made the cable stoppers.  I forgot to add a scale, but these are only 11mm long but I was able to place a forelock pin and retaining chain on them; and the lever works.  The second is half complete.  Unfortunately, the old one, made by a club member, was too narrow so I had to redo them.  The anchors are being made at the moment, so much of the forecastle equipment can be added when the airbrushing has been done.  

59fffab1a376f_CableStoppers2copy.thumb.jpg.a74d265df75d9f99034792ad61440428.jpg

The mast partners still need to be drilled out to the mast size, but I am hoping the net effect is that the remaining parts of the central triangular shapes will look like wedges.  Again I for the scale, but this is 12 mm x 13mm.  I took the dimensions from the Arrow Class Gun Despatch Vessel plans I have from the NMM, as they were roughly the same size vessel and contemporary.  I had several attempts at assembling the various parts but could not get a neat fit, so I cheated and resorted to inscribing them.

59fffadc3df5b_MastPartnerrscopy.thumb.jpg.cecc5e705b78334b722078aecf46019d.jpg

cheers

Pat

Pat:

Nice work. The details are coming along very well. The metal plating really looks great.

Russ

Thanks for looking in and your kind remarks Russ; I was beginning to think no one was going to comment :)

cheers

Pat  

Another small update; the funnel and steam waste pipe are coming along. the spider bands for hold-down/support chains and bands to imitate the collapsing section still to be added.  The funnel is being made by the same guy who made the screw - a bit of a wiz at metal!

5a012f7485357_VictoriaFunnelandWasteSteamPipe.thumb.jpg.02b9ea2a91c59a9ff96b042cfb7d70a7.jpg

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks for the comments John and Carl, much appreciated.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Dave; I should be able to move along at a much greater pace very soon.

cheers

Pat

hey there Pat......that's some great progress you and the boys made....surely tell your friend,   that is one nice looking funnel  ;)    your not such a slouch with your metal work either.......the cable stoppers and the other parts you made look super.   can't wait to see more of your deck work  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for your kind remarks Denis, very much appreciate you looking in.  I hope all is well?

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Work to progress all the parts that need to prepositioned or prepared prior to painting continues.  I have been working on:

• the common Service Lifebuoy for the stern,
  • started on the rigmaiden lanyards (these are used in lieu of the rope lanyards and deadeyes),
  • refined the anchor release mechanism parts,
  • the stern bench,
  • the cable stoppers are finished, and
  • I have fitted the heads (lids still to be fitted) - these align with the discharge pipes in the earlier photo to which a canvas hose was fitted to keep the sides clean.

The Common Service Lifebuoy had two vertical rails on the stern which, when released, the buoy would slide down; at the same time smoke/flare in the top part would also be ignited by a gunlock.  The weight at the bottom would pull down a rod telescoped into the vertical tube which would act as a keel for the two 16 inch (real life) copper balls and keep the flare/smoke vertical to the water.  The buoy hung from the stern on the vertical rails by a small chain (just visible in the photo).  I now have to predrill the four holes for the rods before painting.  One standoff rod is slightly bent at the moment but easily fixed.

Most of these parts are very small with the camera being very close it shows all the tiny imperfections just not visible normally :( - that is an inch ruler in the photos.

5a17bb65b21f4_CommonServiceLifebuoy.thumb.jpg.734b5e2ada3f82582092d2c570217135.jpg

5a17bb6f8aff5_AnchorReleaseParts.thumb.jpg.20ab503dd645db52e3b0a6a11c2a2121.jpg

5a17bb8075e62_CableStopper1.thumb.jpg.b2fc987295ef15e327b60dd9c7615595.jpg

5a17bb8a35825_CableStopper2.thumb.jpg.4644bead774010d30877683098536f79.jpg

5a17bb90d7718_AfterBench.thumb.jpg.82113aa2c66383d3b38c5c4469470af1.jpg

Heads.thumb.jpg.8a8d2617fa5ca9ed513456badb89b55f.jpg

I will be able to start painting very soon I hope.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Pat:

Excellent details. I am impressed with the quality, especially at the small scale.

Russ