3D printed Figurehad for Royal Caroline

Hi Folks

I must be the member that visits the forums at most, but to shy to begin to build several kits that I have waiting.

It wasn´t till our last earthquake that some models built by my father in Pittsburgh. I begun to buy some of them on eBay.

I´m talking about basic kits from Scientific (solid hulls), but belive me, he was an artist. I woud like to share my log of the 1851 America in the near future. But I wanted to share some different first

About 6 years ago I bougt the Royale Caroline Kit and the Giorgio Oscoulaty Anatomy of the Ship Book.

The Kit Fogure head is metal casted and it doesn't look to good for me.

More ove, looking ad the drowings from Giorgio Osculati and some carvings from the Rope.I begun lookig for an upgrade.

Many years ago I've foubd an artist who got amazing results, He made all the carvingsor arnaments in brass, but he didn't sell anything. 

Today with the help of a friend of mine we came up to this results (a 3D printed figurehead in resin) that I wanted to share with you.

Please let me know if you like them. I'm looking for a good gold paint to airbruh it.

Thanks a lot!

post-2489-0-09077900-1478899708_thumb.jpg

post-2489-0-24935000-1478899719_thumb.jpg

post-2489-0-02956000-1478899730_thumb.jpg

Beautiful figurehead.  Tell us more how you designed and fabricated it.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Tony

Thanks for your interest!

I took the images from the Anatomy of the ship Series from the Royal Caroline to make the starting front and side views (at the negining made using a pencil)  to start. Some of the drawings of the book were out of scale though, so I did further research on the web and begun to make the ·D final scketch doing interpolation and extrapolation.

I took a lot of time and corrections when it came to the time to fit it below the bowsprit. If I considered the size of the Crown from Giorgio's Osculati drawing, the Crown didn't fit in the actual space. Then another issue was the smaller Cherub.  I had to use all my "artistic" ability to work the proportions.

Then the Kit's Keel seems to be a bit unaccurate, so I had to adapt the dress a bit.

post-2489-0-24886500-1478947383_thumb.jpg

post-2489-0-77338600-1478947979_thumb.jpg

Nice 3D print and a good example of what 3D printing can be used for.  I am currently teaching myself 3D (TurboCAD) to generate some 3D prints of cannon etc for future products.  I think creating figures is a little beyond my capability as I need to copy rather than create :)  What software are you using to draw and then generate the 3D files?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Eduardo, keep the posts on this subject coming please as it is interesting to see what 3D printing can achieve and be used for in our hobby.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 8 months later...

Hi Eduardo,

I'm building the Panart Royal Caroline myself and just came across your post of your 3D designed figurehead - what an improvement ! The kit one is very average.You have done a great job of the design. Is there any chance of buying one of these from you?

Kind regards,

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Malcolm

Sorry, but it took me a while to find the files of the figure head. There are obout 7 pieces: "the Prinicess", 2 Cherubs, The Crown etc. I will send you pictures of them If you like.

The fille has a high resolution. To finish the design figure process it takes a lot of time (more than 30 hours). I run out of the resin I use for high resolution printing. 

Considering a 3D high resolution printing on my newest machine the price is 138 dollars. Will sound very expensive, but  I'm only considering resin and printing, no design son please, if you want it ill be on  3 conditions:

1. For yor model only

2. No copies of it

3. I will like to see pictures of it in your postings

Kind Regards,

Eduardo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
On 8/13/2017 at 2:15 AM, etubino said:

Dear Malcolm

Sorry, but it took me a while to find the files of the figure head. There are obout 7 pieces: "the Prinicess", 2 Cherubs, The Crown etc. I will send you pictures of them If you like.

The fille has a high resolution. To finish the design figure process it takes a lot of time (more than 30 hours). I run out of the resin I use for high resolution printing. 

Considering a 3D high resolution printing on my newest machine the price is 138 dollars. Will sound very expensive, but  I'm only considering resin and printing, no design son please, if you want it ill be on  3 conditions:

1. For yor model only

2. No copies of it

3. I will like to see pictures of it in your postings

Kind Regards,

Eduardo

Hello, what would be the price for a figure head today? Alternatively, would you sell a 3D model file? Thank you for your response.

• 3 months later...