michael mott

Removing the coating on magnetic copper wire

Has anyone had any experience removing the clear coating that is used on copper wire used in relay coils and or transformers or electric motors?

I would like to do this without using any abrasives and also the wire I am hoping to do this with is .005" or 36 gauge.

Michael

thibaultron likes this

Michael,

I believe they still use lacquer on those, Michael.   Is there a manufacturer's name available to you and/or the part number?  Might be able to get a spec sheet off the web.

Canute and thibaultron like this

Hi Mark,

This is what I have, it is old and I have no idea where I got it. I do know that i have had it for at least 40 years.

post-202-0-91543900-1479094934.jpg

Michael

Paint stripper may work, also I have heard of burning it off. You'd have to be careful not to burn up that small a wire, though.

Canute likes this

I would try soaking it in lacquer thinner and then clean with fine steelwool.  If this does not do the job repeat with acetone.

David B

mtaylor, Canute and thibaultron like this

I've successfully used burning on copper wire - followed by a wiped with a rag to remove the residue - but you'd need to be careful of the heat on such fine wire.

John

dgbot, mtaylor, Canute and 2 others like this

Even easier... look for larger stranded wire made up of fine uncoated strands. Done.

But not quite... straighten the wire: clamp one end in vise, and firmly pull the wire until you feel it yield just a bit... let loose, and the wire will be straight!

Before you get into things like lacquer thinner and paint strippers, try denatured alcohol. Back in the day, I believe a lot of that sort of coil wire was insulated with a coating of shellac and the color of the wire suggests this. If it's shellac, you're in luck. Just soak to soften and wipe off with a rag soaked in alcohol.

Canute, mtaylor and thibaultron like this

I usually have success with either acetone or nitrocellulose lacquer thinner. For short lenghts, I may also roll the wire between two smooth pieces of hardwood until the lacquer peels off.

Canute, mtaylor, thibaultron and 1 other like this

Try white vinegar, just soak it in it. It took a thick coat of black paint off this boat horn I found in the trash, the paint curled up and died after soaking overnight.

34546667120_d72855b90e_o.jpg

34136957314_72735a557b_o.jpg

Canute and mtaylor like this

I tried this game for an entirely diferent reason - i was trying to make some intermediate connections for some " physics stuff for the grandson.

Proved impossible without huge effort - so I went out and bought a reel of the suff uncoated wasnt too expensive

I used "Artistic Wire" which I think is available in Canada - lots of gauges

Canute and mtaylor like this