I'm trying to find details on design and construction of Jarvis Brace winches. I can't seem to find much online other than a few pictures from Stad Amsterdam, Kruzenshtern or a few other old 4 posters etc. I'm looking for design details, ratios, drum taper. What are the considerations to make the winch work properly, not so much how thick to make the materials so they will hold up to the task though that is also important in the construction of them. Anybody research these winches and have some images or some text describing what I am looking for? Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

you might perhaps like to have a look here......

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://www.takel-ing.de/mediapool/1/15075/data/Referenzen/Anlage13._10Trommelwinde.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.takel-ing.de/jarvis-brasswinden.html&h=1426&w=2336&tbnid=ShwIbeIiXr7_7M:&vet=1&tbnh=90&tbnw=147&docid=WHRA8XdtEgJ86M&usg=__KfyQVM0911XSrn12NzimXF23De0=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV0rG_n6vQAhVEFCwKHTtZAzMQ9QEIKzAC

in the menue click on "downloads" and then on "Jarvis Brasswinden"

I used this information for building and rigging the three Jarvis winches on my "Pamir" Tallship model, hope this may be of use for you...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

John Harland's book Capstans and Windlasses available used from Amazon for $9.98 includes a chapter on brace winches and the Jarvis winch in particular. Illustrations are not great, not as good as Nils posted above, but there is useful written descriptive material that would appear to be the kind of stuff that you're looking for.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Daniel,

I don't know whether your query is to support construction of a model or for some different purpose, but another source that discusses brace winches and rhe ships that carried them is Allan Villers' The Way of a Ship. There is a good isometric sketch of a brace winch in this book by Harold Underhill. Villers' perspective is that of a practical sailor who actually used this gear.

Roger

Does anyone know, or can anyone tell from the images if all three axles spin at the same speed or is the gearing such that they spin at different speeds?

Thanks for the images, they are really clear for a lot of the detail I'm trying to figure out.

Edited by Sailor1234567890

• 2 years later...

There are detailed drawings in Middensdorf‘s Book of 1905 on masting  and rigging (in German). He draws on his experience in rigging the Late Flying–P–Liners, which include the PASSAT and the PADUA, as well  as the PREUSSEN.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg