18th Century Longboat by BobF - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48 - Tri-Club

Great Stuff!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 4 months later...

Ever since I saw samueljr's model on this forum, I've been intrigued with the possibility of incorporating a pulley into the cap rail at the bow.  Samuel's model has the bowsprit to the port side, and the pulley on the starboard side, which is also correct.  Apparently, it was done both ways.

It wasn't until I saw photos of two contemporary models that had the pulley on the port side that I decided to go for it.  One model was rigged, and the other was not.  As much as I would like to show you those photos, I thought better of it, considering the current ongoing discussion on copyrights.

Once I got passed the decision to do surgery on the painted model, the modification was not that difficult.  The cap rail overhang was trimmed down, and the new piece was fabricated.  Contemporary models seem to indicate that these pieces were actually separate from the cap rail, so the modification did not impact the accuracy of the model.

post-2885-0-81430100-1453579026_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-47020400-1453579072_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-08496900-1453579340_thumb.jpg

On some contemporary models, this piece feathers nicely into the cap rail edge, and on others there is a distinct slight bump at the aft end.  I opted for the latter version.

post-2885-0-61392700-1453579761_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-02922800-1453580011_thumb.jpg

A closer study of the reference photos showed that the starboard side also had the same shaped piece, but no allowances were made for a pulley, since the bowsprit would have been mounted on that side.  I'm currently working on that piece.

BobF

As much as I would like to show you those photos, I thought better of it, considering the current ongoing discussion on copyrights.

The discussion I saw was on the Amazing Photos Forum and in there Chuck did state that you could post a link to the site where the original photo exists.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

JS:

If you go back to my post #178, you'll see a photo of a contemporary model that happens to have the pulley at the bow.  Although not quite as clear, you can also see that the starboard side seems to have the same shaped piece with no pulley.  Could it have been for the sake of symmetry, or did it provide additional support for the bowsprit?

BobF

Thanks Bob, I did see that photo before but I never noticed the pulley.

Erik,

Thanks, but I'll tell you a secret.  I keep the camera slightly out of focus.  That hides a lot of flaws. :)

The bow modifications will be the last kit bashing I do on this model.  I get a lot of grief from my fellow club members about how long I've been working on this longboat.  It's definitely time to get it in a case!

BobF

It is honestly, quite beautiful to see such workmanship.   

OK, Bob, you are now on record saying no more bashing.  Beautiful work.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I wonder if there is a support group for addicted kit bashers?

BobF

There is Bob.  It's called MSW.   :D  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 5 months later...

Hi Mike,

The model hasn't changed much since my last post.  When I have worked on it, I've been concentrating on items off the model such as the oars and the case.  I wanted to have the case ready to go when the model is finished.  The case base has some features you might find interesting.  I'll try to post some photos soon.  Thanks for your inquiry.

Regards,

BobF

Bob, I wish I could attend a meeting and get some great and close phots of your Longboat.  I have learned a lot from watchig you build her. and envy the way you can get it so clean and neat.

David B

Bob how is the model coming along?  I haven't seen any recent posts.

Best Regards,

Mike peltier

Mike:

Although not the best quality, here are a few photos of the completed oars.  I used a technique described by Steve Wheeler in the January/February 2009 issue of Ships in Scale.   Based on contemporary long boat models, I decided to paint the oars completely red.

BobF

post-2885-0-93989000-1468000190_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-33664900-1468000213_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-03101100-1468000233.jpg

Edited by BobF

Always a pleasure to read your build log.

You mentioned you "used a technique described by Steve Wheeler in the January/February 2009 issue of Ships in Scale." I bought the CD archive of Ships n Scale and thought I was in luck because it goes as recent as 2009. Unfortunately I could not find the article you referenced. I searched the keyword oars and got zip. Searching for Steve Wheeler generated a lot of articles, but nothing stood out as the article on oars. Could it be hidden in some article on a different subject with a side reference to oars?

Jon

Got it, thank you!

Here are a few photos of the case base, which was primarily made out of cherry.  I'm not sure if it really works, but I try to construct my cases so they can breathe.  That's what the 1 1/2" hole in the center is for. My theory is that changes in atmospheric pressure allow some air to pass back and forth from inside the case.

post-2885-0-74637400-1468069291_thumb.jpg

In order to keep dust and insects from getting inside, I mounted a filter on the underside composed of some fine material, backed up by a piece of screening.

post-2885-0-17667100-1468069736_thumb.jpg

The filter was mounted with four small hex-head screws.  In the future, if necessary, this will allow me to remove the filter with a nut driver without tipping the case over.

Note the four triangular blocks in the corners.  They elevate the base about 1/8", which allows air to pass underneath.  That small gap also makes it a little easier to lift the case.

post-2885-0-97652800-1468070081_thumb.jpg

Although the plastic enclosure will be sitting inside a somewhat deep groove, I'm always concerned that it could become dislodged.  To prevent this, I drill a 1/16" hole at each end of the base that passes through the plastic enclosure.  This will allow me to insert a brass rod about 1 3/4" long that will prevent any accidents.

post-2885-0-18296200-1468070783_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-70703200-1468071422_thumb.jpg

The dimension of the brass rod is not critical, as long as it reaches an opening in the bottom of the base.  This will allow the rod to be pushed out for easy removal of the enclosure.

post-2885-0-70875100-1468071514_thumb.jpg

When completely inserted, the rod is almost imperceptible from the outside.

post-2885-0-84069200-1468072801_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of a training aid that was made by a fellow club member.  He is a miniaturist, so the construction is a bit on the light side.  Nevertheless, it pretty much reflects how I made my base.  The one big difference is the fact that my plinth is not a part of the base.  I opted for a separate piece.

post-2885-0-66568500-1468073361_thumb.jpg

The plinth has 1/32" spacers on the underside to allow air movement.  Made out of cherry, the dark wood inlay is blood wood.  The pedestals are blackened brass.

post-2885-0-50709200-1468074040_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-00753600-1468074498_thumb.jpg

Recently, I brought the base to my club meeting.  One of our most senior (as in age) members happened to be sitting next to me.  He was studying my base very intently, so I asked him what he thought.  After a long pause, he stated that it's an awful lot of work for such a tiny model.  He might be right.

BobF

That is some fancy display box! So now the question is: where are you going to display the model? I'm not thinking so much as in what room, but what does the box sit on to display the model? I've been wrestling with this problem in contemplation of the completion of my Rattlesnake.

Jon

Your base/case looks great Bob. Thanks for sharing your techniques - there's a lot to take away from your mini-tutorial.

Bob,

Great looking oars and base for your display.  I usually don't put that much work in mine, but you have made me reconsider.  Although I did build one unusual  base.  It was based on one I saw at a museum.  It was made on a turntable so the observer could turn it to view the work of art from all sides.  I incorporated a glass dome on mine to keep fingers off the model. It was a great hit, but the model was of a fully rigged armed launch at 1/8" to a foot scale so the base was only 9" in diameter and didn't take up much space to display.

Best Regards and thanks for the quick response,

Mike Peltier

"Recently, I brought the base to my club meeting.  One of our most senior (as in age) members happened to be sitting next to me.  He was studying my base very intently, so I asked him what he thought.  After a long pause, he stated that it's an awful lot of work for such a tiny model.  He might be right."

BobF

Bob,

I think you should revise the size of the base, and case.

The Longboat itself is not that big, so I would consider a smaller base and case.

Some where out there is a relation chart between model size and case size.

However, what you have accomplished with the base and more is amazing. Beautiful done!

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry