18th Century Longboat by BobF - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48 - Tri-Club

Congratulations on completing your Longboat.  Your build log is definitely the "go to" resource for builders of this kit.  I know I will be referring to it as I complete my Longboat.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 1 year later...

BobF - spectacular build!!!! I want to thank Tigersteve for mentioning your build and he was correct to say it was one of the best. I purchased this kit for my first POF build but, after doing some research, I realized that I need to improve my skills before I tackle this. Thank you for posting this one and Congratulations!!!

Edited by Fright

Robert O

• 11 months later...

There are so many wonderful builds of this kit on modelshipworld, but for the builder of any level of skill, this particular kit log is probably the most informative. Is there any way to make this particular log the top result when searching for 18th Century Longboat?

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2013 at 6:30 PM, tlevine said:

The problem with the curvature at the bow for the first few strakes and at the stern for strakes 3 through 5 (for me at least) were part of the reason I did not use the provided wood strips.  I do not like to edge bend strakes unless they can be well secured to frames underneath (think plank on bulkhead).  Looking good, Bob.

If you did not use the provided planks, what did you use? I would think most builders would go with the provided planks.

On 1/11/2017 at 11:46 AM, BobF said:

With the holidays in the rear view mirror, I've been able to return to the workbench.  I've been working on prepping as much of the rigging as possible off the model.  Lashing the upper deadeyes to the shrouds was the last requirement before I permanently step the mast.

I decided to use the "deadeye claw" method for this model.  This was my first experience with this technique, and, so far, it has worked pretty well.  Here is a closeup of one of the assemblies.

post-2885-0-36326600-1484151673_thumb.jpg

I was able to use a simple fixture for making the claws, which produced pretty consistent results, so I made four of them.

If you look at the next photo, you'll see that the right shroud is "tacked" on to the deadeye at about the 4 o'clock position.  I use white glue for this.  That way, I can correct it if there is a problem.  You may be wondering what the black thread is that's attached to the upper deadeyes.  Well, with the lower deadeye hooked to the chain plate, the whole assembly was very difficult to work with.  It kept flopping around.  The thread is temporarily tied to the upper part of the mast, and provides stability.  Once the initial glue application is dry, I add a little more glue around the bottom, up to about the 8 or 9 o'clock position.  (See the left deadeye.)  The deadeye can now be handled without the shroud separating from the deadeye.

post-2885-0-35259600-1484151922_thumb.jpg

Here are the finished results.  The deadeyes look pretty even, but I won't know for sure until they are fastened with the lanyards.

post-2885-0-85994600-1484152229_thumb.jpg

I'm sure that for the vast majority of you, this post isn't anything earth shaking.  But, maybe, someone will find it useful.

BobF

Was the "claw" technique widely used? This is the first I have seen it used.

On 1/14/2017 at 10:40 AM, BobF said:

Steve:

Here are a few photos of where I currently am with the model.  Nothing, at this point, is permanently tied down.  I decided to leave the backstay pendents until last since they would interfere with belaying other lines.  Quite a mess, huh?

post-2885-0-83223500-1484407825_thumb.jpg

It looks like the deadeye claw method is working out well.  The deadeyes appear to be pretty even.

post-2885-0-89996300-1484407934_thumb.jpg

Per your request, here is a closeup of the upper part of the mast.  I hope you find it useful.

BobF

post-2885-0-20252100-1484408090_thumb.jpg

Okay Bob, you have me confused. After the work you put in with using the claw technique, now your dead eyes are rigged with rope. What's the story? 

9 minutes ago, Larry Cowden said:

Okay Bob, you have me confused. After the work you put in with using the claw technique, now your dead eyes are rigged with rope. What's the story? 

The claws are used in an attempt to get consistent spacing for the deadeyes while the dedeyes are rigged to the shrouds. After the deadeyes are attached to the shrouds the claws are removed and the deadeyes are rigged with rope.