Pillars supporting gun deck on Triton cross-section

I've seen that some people put pillars under the aft beam on either side of the steps whilst others leave them off as they're not in the plans.

Could someone give guidance as to whether the pillars should be there or not, and, if they are supposed to be there, advise as to their positioning.

My inclination if the pillars are there would be to place them touching the steps on either side since that might be better structurally, it would give more space on either side, and would give people something to hold on to as they leap down in haste.

As usual, all advice gratefully accepted.

Tony

Ah, well, lots of views but no replies. This gives me the message that there's no answer to this one, that it's up to me to decide.

I'll go without the extra pillars then, as they're not on the plans. I think the deck may still not fall in.

I hope I got the message right!

Tony

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Those pillars are structural and transfer the load down to the keel. Without them you would not cause sagging unless the decks were way overloaded for the span, but you would be transferring the direction of downward load from the arched beams, that would cause the framing to be pushed apart as the ship worked, because as the arch flattens, the ends of the arched beams get further apart, when it returns it brings the framing with it, stressing every joint it the ship. A simple vertical pillar put in place along the center line would prevent the arch from changing the direction of the load forces. Some of those pillars are installed to be removed when they interfere with some necessary evolution and put back in place when done.

jud

Edited by jud

Thanks for those remarks. I'd studied Uwe's build, and he's one of those who left stair well as in the plans -- without pillars.

Jud: yes, I can see the structural reasons, and thanks for filling those out in more detail. Very interesting about the possibility of them being removable. I was just puzzled why some put them in, others don't and they're not in the plans. Maybe they're shown when the pillars were removed!

Tony

Edited by tkay11

Tony,

As I recall, some of us went with one piller right smack dab in front of the steps, other choose to go with two pillars.  I'm not sure what the full build shows as it's been a long time since I looked at the plans.  If I were doing this today, I'd go with either 2 pillars or leave them out.  I did the one...   :blush:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, I agree, Mark. It seems either way is legitimate. Thanks for the input. I'll save myself some grief and leave them out. After all, this is not going to be a showcase model, nor even one to be preserved. I'm just learning some basic skills, and having fun with that. The cross-section is a really low-cost way to acquire the skills and not worry too much about mistakes -- of which I've made quite a few already, as I did with the Sherbourne.

Tony

Good attitude to have, Tony.  I made my share of "oops" on the cross-section.  It's the learning process for many of us that's important.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)