Pirate Brig by Eric W - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/64

The skylight was a departure from the instructions, which call for painting the acetate black. This due to the lack of depth with a solid hull underneath. I left the acetate clear and fabricated a false bottom out of scrap bass wood, which I stained to create a false sense of depth. I painted the interior white which I think would be accurate in order to better amplify the light. 

20170618_114716_resized.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have attached some photos of the mast work. The plans are good in they have full scale drawings of all the masts and spars. The instructions also have good diagrams of the tops, caps and cross trees. My only suggestion is to attach the flag staff to the main topgallant prior to gluing the topgallant in place. 

20170805_212904_001.jpg

20170805_212647_001.jpg

20170805_212704.jpg

20170805_212749.jpg

20170805_215825_001.jpg

20170805_215805.jpg

20170805_215812.jpg

20170805_215753_resized.jpg

20170805_215805.jpg

• 1 month later...

Working on the spars. I sanded the yards by hand to the plan specifications. I think the main yards might need to be reworked with a bit more tapering on the ends. They are the indicated width on the plans though. I mixed a stain similar to the masts, then tried to present a bit of a weathered effect. I figured a merchant brig would not have the budget for regular painting like a warship, but would still be serviceable.

20170925_205119.jpg

20170925_205125.jpg

20170925_205146.jpg

20170925_205222.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the spars. I sanded the yards by hand to the plan specifications. I think the main yards might need to be reworked with a bit more tapering on the ends. They are the indicated width on the plans though. I mixed a stain similar to the masts, then tried to present a bit of a weathered effect. I figured a merchant brig would not have the budget for regular painting like a warship, but would still be serviceable.

20171007_152858_001.jpg

20171007_152833.jpg

I felt the brig was crying for an old fashioned stern lantern . I ordered it through Bluejacket. They have a very extensive fittings catalog as well. Nic was great in getting the right "period" lantern selected. I referred to Angus Konstam's "The Pirate Ship 1660-1730" for shaping and placement. I specifically looked at the color plates of Charles Vane's Ranger and Queen Anne's Revenge. 

20171007_152928.jpg

Really enjoying your build.  I too am a solid hull fan.  Many turn their nose up at them as simple!  Yet I have seen masterpieces from solid hull builds.  Was very impressed just with how you came up with the lantern.

I believe any build reflects a personal interest in the subject they are constructing.

Looking forward for more of your work.

Rick😎

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the battery of cannons in the waist this weekend. The Britannia metal guns and carriages did not need too much filing. The rig is fairly simple and there were no tackle for the carriage themselves. You could add a small block to each side of the carriage, if inclined, but you would have to order them separately. I went with the rigging plan provided with the exception of adding some coils on the end of each line. Rookie note: measure line lengths prior to building. I finally came up with 10" as a good length on the starboard battery. Note the different lengths on the larboard side.  

20171017_195138.jpg

20171017_195150.jpg

20171017_195201.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the battery of cannons in the waist this weekend. The Britannia metal guns and carriages did not need too much filing. The rig is fairly simple and there were no tackle for the carriage themselves. You could add a small block to each side of the carriage, if inclined, but you would have to order them separately. I went with the rigging plan provided with the exception of adding some coils on the end of each line. Rookie note: measure line lengths prior to building. I finally came up with 10" as a good length on the starboard battery. Note the different lengths on the larboard side.  

The kit come with a cast Britannia metal long boat. It is designed to be painted and secured upside down over the main hatch grating. This a perfectly reasonable option, but I got to thinking how "iconic" the long boat is on a pirate ship. Pirates going ashore to bury treasure, Long John Silver sneaking away in Treasure Island; heck even the boat in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland is loosely based on a long boat. So, I used some left over balsa wood from the wales and fabricated some benches. A bit crude, but I think with some oars and a little line coiled about. It'll do the trick. 

20171028_172319_001.jpg

20171028_172242.jpg

20171028_172300_001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think they look ok .But if it concerns you ,you can order some heavier stuff from Chuck at Syren . The stuff I just got in from him is awesome.

Edited by Derek C

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 4 weeks later...

Running rigging is complete. The plans were a bit of a mess, as the lines did not correspond to the belaying pin diagram. I sent Nic a note on this with photos and he had "pen and ink" changes back in 24 hrs. I was also gratified to read Al was updating Pirate Brig plans in the next newsletter. So, no worries. It is a simplified rigging plan with no clews or sheets for the sails. Otherwise, the plans were pretty straightforward. You need to be comfortable working off plans though. The rigging instructions in the manual are a single page that refer you to the plans. Only area where I struggles a bit was placement of lines coming down to the belaying pins. Plans are a bit rudimentary on this. 

20171217_172443.jpg

20171217_172457.jpg

20171217_172510.jpg

20171217_172553.jpg

20171217_172607.jpg

20171217_172705.jpg

I think I just wasted my first twenty bucks on building tools with the Amati loom a line. Anyone use this yet? The pegs don't fit very well and I think I am better off rigging the lines, then tying off the ratlines. I am afraid that I won't have the flexibility to fine tune things if I have it all tied off on the loom vs. On the model. 

20171217_172748.jpg

• 1 month later...

Started the ratlines. I built a 1/4" jig based on a tip from Bluejacket's newsletter. Original plan is to clamp the jig to the shrouds, but I found that a bit cumbersome, so I have been just measuring by hand.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

image001.jpg

IMG_0005.JPG

Edited by Eric W

Jgrace, my only other build prior to this was the Revenue Cutter. With two ensign builds under your belt, you should be fine. The only area I struggled with was the running rigging plan, because it was mis-labled. I sent my questions to Nic at Bluejacket and he sent me back photos of the edited plans. I believe Al redrew them based on this edit. The hull required a bit of sanding, but the stem and stern moulds were good. 

Eric:

Congratulations on a fine looking model. I am glad you enjoyed it as that is the best part of the experience. Well done. 

Russ

• 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Pirate Brig by Eric W - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/64