Scottish Maid by Tim Curtis - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50

Could i ask for a favor? I would love to do coppering on my kit, but my version does not show the correct lines in plans. Could you take a picture showing the line so i could start on coopering? I will need to hide planking errors, as walnut is too revealing...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Sure. I can do this, but my line is not in the correct place (nor even very straight).

I attach a drawing, pilfered from the web, which I think shows the waterline. This should be a better guide.

Is this ok? 

TimScot-maid_7_zpsee987b2f.jpg.0a403c9901150693bc68e927e58e6cd6.jpg

Edited by Tim Curtis

• 1 month later...

Tim,

I just saw this build and am very impressed, especially with the way that you have integrated historical research into your model.  My parents had given me this model many years ago, and your efforts have inspired me to build her.  I hope that I can do at least half as well as you did on yours!

Bill

11 hours ago, Tim Curtis said:

Pav,

My bulwark is about 12mm (about 2' at 1:50). I simply followed the plans here, but no idea if this is correct. 

Tim

Well, mine was only 6mm. Had to build them up. I used spare planking and got it up to roughly 10mm. Its out of scale anyways, but at least now it doesnt look out of place.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

• 2 months later...

I have been making very slow progress.

Have added two furled sails. Flying jib, and fore gaff sail.

Made using tracing paper dyed with tea. Edges folded over and boltrope glued on. Furled when wet. Then allowed to dry.

Messy. And the rope tends to come off a little when you furl them. However, once furled - this is not very visible.

I think it gives a reasonable likeness of worn and slightly stained canvas. 

20180506_134613.thumb.jpg.78a94e198dd362f6479f7915ad685b26.jpg

20180506_134207.thumb.jpg.34f826ab45dc85c562416bba40e05bce.jpg

20180506_134335.thumb.jpg.d63912c495b8615f8bca26724cb65b0a.jpg

20180506_134021.thumb.jpg.7f2c5b2c5326cc5423988afd73de9cf0.jpg

Edited by Tim Curtis

Tim,
----- I think it gives a reasonable likeness of worn and slightly stained canvas. -------

On the contrary your furled jib and foresail are brilliant. The scaled look is by far the best that I have seen so far with furled sails.

Super nice work indeed.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Tim,

Totally concur with Michael. I think these furled sails are excellant, you have got the scale just right. I espeshally like the way the gaff sail looks, just the right amount of bulk in the furled sail.

Regards

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Very nice!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 3 weeks later...

Mainsail is now up. I have rigged the sail reefed at the base. Not sure if I am totally satisfied with the results. 

In the end I had to use blackened brass mast hoops rather than wooden ones. They were too fragile and kept breaking.

Very much in final furlong now.

20180711_132350.jpg

20180711_131509.jpg

20180711_131437.jpg

20180711_131812.jpg

20180711_132024.jpg

20180711_131424.jpg

Edited by Tim Curtis

Where did you get the information that you made theses changes from? It looks quite different from before.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Jesse,

I have not been able to get accurate info about the tiller arrangement on Scottish maid. Best info I had was this below:

Scot-maid_7_zpsee987b2f.jpg.ef720d404c67384aabc92f692b496302.jpg

I also referenced Lennarth Petersons Period Fore and Aft craft, which actually describes a topsail schooner 25 years older than Scottish maid. See below:

Screenshot_20180714-000625.thumb.png.5a4eddc842dd70e59bde116a0c8dd1e9.png

This showed me that my tiller handle was way too short, and my whole set up, although consistent with AL instructions was way too flimsy and nothing like the original. What I have done is not accurate, but is a much better guess.

Hope that makes sense.

Tim

Edited by Tim Curtis

Here are a couple of pictures from Model Shipwright 94 of the model by D Hamby showing his implementation of the steering gear and the main sheet. This is fairly standard. The sheet is double ended so the starboard will be the mirror image of the port. Hope you find these useful.

5b48dea13a39d_steeringgear1lowres.thumb.jpg.1a318404fe1f419c00f19eaa05ef3bee.jpg

5b48dea3e21b3_steeringgear2lowres.thumb.jpg.6d1dca4cb6d409940f2f365ebfb1983a.jpg

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

The  Very early version of power steering.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Removed the mainsail. It was too messy, and also the wrong colour. I obviously used a different type of tea to stain the vellum sheet. Oops.

Also the reefing did not really work very well. So I am going to leave the model half rigged!

Working on a white base. And need to finish a few other details....vangs, pumps etc.20180727_163530.thumb.jpg.782d2590351ba81f2381027d24061d25.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim, nice job on the build.  Look forward to seeing it and yourself at the SMSV meeting.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 month later...

Beautiful work Tim, I'm half way through the Scottish Maid and your work is exceptional.....well done. 

My next build will be either the Benjamin W, Latham or Bluenose 11 . I like the shape of the cutters .

Once again well done and good to see other Aussies on this fantastic site . I have no friends who are into modelling so when I found this site I was really excited.