Chaperon by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Ron Gove

I purchased the Chaperon after spending two weeks camping on  the Mississippi River in West Memphis, Ark. 

I think it is the best MS kit I've every had.  Here are 3 shots of my progress to date.

If I had better organizational skills I'd have done a build log.

Ron Gove

post-3633-0-35291600-1479943546.jpg

post-3633-0-54579400-1479943564.jpg

post-3633-0-63547100-1479943571.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ron:

I put mine on flush with the deck planks.  Installed centered would trap rain water on the deck.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 4 months later...

Chicken dinners.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I assume that, as in maritime vessels, a supply of fresh eggs would be highly desirable. Even on a settled river, having your own is better than buying them, and the hens can be fed in part from table scraps.

Your Chaperon looks good so far.

Eric's correct - I just noticed I forgot the smiley face to end my previous post.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt has built (and thoroughly researched) this model, so he's the final authority on its specifics. But a chicken coop would be a completely normal feature of a steamboat. Also, to my eye, that structure looks too small for regular human use (especially in original photos of Chaperon), and its placement isn't right for an outhouse. Its location would drop straight into the after cabin; these boats didn't have complicated plumbing. The actual outhouses are likely within the superstructure on the boiler deck, overhanging the paddle wheel (which does a good job of disposal). I don't think any boats would have made passengers climb to the hurricane deck to use the outhouse, and there would at the very least be two of them (gents and ladies). All of which confirms that it's a chicken coop.

I agree.  When I get some time I will dig up some photos of these common features.  Meanwhile here is a photo of a model I did with the outhouse overhanging the wheel.  The glue OOPS was removed after I saw the original photo.

Kurt

PHOTO 46 - HEAD AND STAINED BUCKETS.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Oh, the wheels would have been washed plenty clean by their inherent action, and technically many of the outhouses weren't dropping directly onto the buckets, just into the zone where the wheel's downward motion helped disperse the material. Probably cleaner than the bows of some sailing vessels. Although I recall a possibly apocryphal story of some crew doing repairs on a sternwheel while having someone else standing guard outside the ladies' hut to ensure that the workmen vacated the premises before any lady had to use the loo to avoid any, well, upward glances.

I do suspect you're right that, if the model shows the shed being completely solid, it's not quite accurate: there should be some ventilation and light allowed in, at the eaves at least.

The hurricane deck is coming along nicely. I am using  strip styrene to make the bands on the stacks and sheet styrene for the decorative crown at the top of the stack. I also mitered the top railings on the stair rails rather then the butt and overlap joints shown in the plans.

chaperon 1.jpg

chaperon 2.jpg

I have attached most of the decorative railings. Everything fit perfectly together. The skylight is done and attached. I assembled the skylight fully before attaching to the deck to ensure that it was square. I am working on the Texas (which I placed on the skylight for the photo). I decided to assemble it before adding the 1/32" sq. battens. The battens are a bit  more tricky to add this way but I was concerned that they would interfere with bending the fore and aft sections. Although the sections are pre-bent using a supplied jig, there is a lot of fiddling to get the curve right when everything goes together. Since the battens are laid over the grooves that need to expand as the sections are bent, i thought it best to do them last.. I may actually get this model finished in less than 1 year!  I appreciate all the "likes" and comments.

Ron

Texas.jpg

• 2 weeks later...