HMS Beagle 1820 by Mike 41 - 1:48 scale - Cherokee-class brig-sloop

The upper deck framing is about half done. This set of photos shows the progress on the deck and some misc. deck items. The framing is European Beachwood and the forward hatch is bloodwood.

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

excellent build Mike !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

With the addition of the rest of the main deck ledges the deck framing is complete. The forward, main hatch openings and the bowsprit step will be finished before the deck is planked. This set of photos shows the progress to date.

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

Beautiful work, Mike.   I like your choice of woods which are setting off the framing and planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The main hatch openings and the bowsprit step are installed. It looks like I need to add a few more things before planking the deck like the windlass, main jeer bits, azimuth compass, capstan and steering wheel. Installing the bowsprit step involved a little more work than I expected. This is a few photos showing how it was installed.

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

This set of photos shows the progress on the windlass and the lining on the main deck. The lining needs to be installed so the crank handles can be added. I don’t have an organized approach to building but she seems to be moving along well.

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6044.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me this week was not a good week for model building. I had cataract surgery on my right eye last Tuesday so I didn’t get to spend much time in the shop.

I did get the forecastle deck planked and have started the exterior planking. There will be a 6-pdr Carronade on the deck that will take up most of the space so I didn’t leave openings to view the main deck under the gun.

This is a few photos of the forecastle deck as it currently sits.

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6059.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG

IMG_6061.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG

IMG_6064.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This is a few photos of the compass and binnacle. I used bloodwood for both items it turns very well.

I guess adding the rails will clean up the overall appearance of the ship, these are progress photos so far. I am using walnut for the rails.

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

This is a small update I added the wales and taffrail and am looking at the false quarter gallery. I guess it will be a solid block of wood without access to the interior of the ship.

Is this the way most false quarter galleries are modeled? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6099.JPG

IMG_6100.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

Looking good Mike. I like your use of rubber bands (or elastics as we say up here in New England) and clamps to hold the wales. All of the false quarter galleries I have seen are badges that fit over the planking, but I am not sure if there would be an opening into the hull under them in the real ships.

Thanks Tom,

I found that elastics and clamps are easier to use than little nails with my big hands. You are right a false quarter gallery would be a badge I just didn’t think of it that way.

I looked at the beautiful work you did on your Beagle. The layout of the main deck is different than the drawings in Heinz Marquardt’s book but all the models I have seen on line look different from each other.

I found that a lot of drawing views do not match up in his book and the size of stuff varies a lot but that is not uncommon in the AOL series of books. This book is a lot better than the one I used for my Pandora. http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?3031

Mike

The Horn davits and false quarter galleries have been added to the model.

I started to make the quarter galleries out of solid blocks of wood but wasn’t having much luck squaring up the windows and went to using 14 individual pieces for each gallery. I used boxwood and walnut and like the way they turned out.

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6104.JPG

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

The skylight for the chart room was easy to make since it has square windows. After cutting the sides to length I drilled holes at the four corners of each window, removed the center waste with a Dremel tool and cleaned up the corners with a square file. This is a few photos showing the construction and installation of the skylight.

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6108.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6111.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_6113.JPG

This is a few photos of the stern trim and poop deck rails. Another compass was added along with the timber blocks for stowing the 28 foot whaleboat, ensign staff, mizzen mast and ladders to the poop deck.

IMG_6114.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6117.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

IMG_6119.JPG

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

IMG_6122.JPG

I have been working on the main deck items and added several hatches, pumps and the main jeer bits with attached winch. The main mast, mizzen mast and ensign staff are set in place. I will be working on the gun port covers and pin rails next.

IMG_6123.JPG

IMG_6124.JPG

IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6126.JPG

IMG_6127.JPG

IMG_6128.JPG

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6130.JPG

IMG_6131.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

IMG_6133.JPG

The boat beam along with the pin rails and gunport covers have been installed. All the gunport covers are shown in the closed position. There will be two cannons shown sitting on the main deck per the book drawing.

IMG_6134.JPG

IMG_6135.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

Nice work, Mike.   I do have an observation...  check here on MSW for other English ships of the period as quarter galleries aren't "square" when viewed from the top but rounded.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark,

The quarter galleries did look a little better after I rounded off the corners. They were a bit too thick also. The hard part was removing them from the side of the model.

Mike

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6141.JPG

• 1 month later...

The hammock cranes looked like a good place to start after returning from the family vacation. This a few progress photos of the work so far. I cutout the blanks from Beachwood and drilled .8mm holes for the netting support rope (brass wire). I use a band saw to cut out the rough shape and finished with a square file. An ebony black stain was applied and they were installed on the model. The next step will be adding the netting and hammocks.

IMG_6142.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

IMG_6146.JPG

IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6153.JPG

The hammock netting is made from some plastic fabric I found at Hobby Lobby it was very stiff and difficult to install inside the cranes. To solve the problem I made a mold from basswood the same thickness as the inside of the cranes and twice the height. I marked lines at the distance to the top of the cranes on both sides of the mold and secured the slightly oversized netting with clamps then applied a diluted glue solution (4:1 water to glue). After the glue dried I used a straightedge and knife to cut the netting to size. The first photo shows the netting on the mold and the glue solution the rest show the netting installed on the model. I still have to attach the netting to the support rope with some of my infamous needle work and add some hammocks.  

IMG_6158.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

IMG_6160.JPG

IMG_6161.JPG