I'm not sure where I got this idea for organizing wood strips but I decided to use it.  However, I don't like it. It is cluttered and doesn't organize the wood very well.  I decided to start this topic to see how others out there handle their wood.

post-26154-0-62449600-1480187725_thumb.jpg

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here is my solution.

post-26154-0-53384000-1480366910_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-44168200-1480366911_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-31524100-1480366912_thumb.jpg

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I settled on this storage solution a few months ago.  My "workshop" is in the corner of my home office, so I needed something that kept all the strips handy and organized, but still looked nice enough that the wife would let me keep it in the house.  I bought a rolling organizer for architectural plans.  It lets me organize things into the different spaces and also holds the plans (obviously, since that is what it is designed for).  I keep the various sizes bundled together and labeled.

post-22030-0-43171100-1480377620_thumb.jpg

Another suggestion would be to take some PVC pipe and cut of sections 12-18" long.  Glue the sections together with PVC cement, forming a honey comb.  This can be stored either vertically as the previous posts demonstrate or horizontally.  I prefer horizontal for long-term storage to prevent warping.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I used Toni's suggestion of PVC pieces a few years ago and stored the wood vertically.  Big mistake!  The strips were bent within a month.  I suggest you store it horizontally (as Toni prefers) and do not allow long ends to hang over the open end.

Maury

This is also a great way to store rolled up sets of plans and strip brass.  Because I am not a trusting soul, I also have two pieces of electrical wire wrapped around the outside in case the cement fails.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

If you have a coping/graphics place near you, see if you can get their discarded cardboard roll centers. They are great for storing rolled plans.

I roll the plans print side out, they lay flatter when you go to use them.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a method of sorting and storing wood I came up with over the holidays:

At work, I found a cardboard box that was used to ship a computer keyboard - it's long and not too tall.  I cut the top lid off, and then cut that lid into strips about an inch wide.  Then, I glued those strips into the bottom of the box to create channels - apply some labels and most of my wood is sorted.  Cheap and quick to create.

If I find another box, I can make a second one and just stack them together.

post-308-0-42804500-1482954669_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-00154100-1482954670_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm close to finishing my first build and although my sorted wood worked well, I found out later that my company uses a lot of paper (for the CAD machine). And lo and behold they have perfect 24" x 2" tubes that holds the roll of paper.  So they gave me a bunch and I find this is perfect.  I've since repurposed my first idea.

post-26154-0-92259900-1486777422_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-58705100-1486777424_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Ron so simple it hurts :rolleyes:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.