How to: Ratlines

Back in the day I used this method to tie rat lines. Does anyone have a different way and why?

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

I know, it's how I did it years ago when eyes were young and hands were steady. It is a very tedious way but I believe accurate.

Current Build:

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

Bill,

It is undoubtedly accurate, but in the scale at which we are generally working and the time involved, is it necessary?

A friend showed me a semi-quick way to make them.  He used a thin, blackened copper wire cut perhaps 1/2" longer than the ratline width at the point you are working; crimp one end around one outside stay, do a 360 degree wrap around the middle stay & crimp lightly, make a 180 degree wrap around the other outside stay, cut off the excess wire and crimp---Done! With a bit of care and practice the ratline will be straight and level; if you want some sag, put it in before the middle and last wrap. They will never come untied  :) .

At our small scales, you won't be able to see that it isn't tied, at least not from a normal viewing distance.

Jim

Jim

Real boat: Island Packet 32 cutter

Ship/Boat models:

Billings Boats "Bluenose II" changed to look more like original

R/C Victoria Sailboat

Mamoli "Yacht America" - abandoned

Bluejacket "Grand Banks Dory" in process

Model Shipways Fishing Smack "Emma C. Berry" in process

blacken copper wire seems like a good idea, thanks.

Current Build:

On The Shelf:

Completed:

However one chooses to tie the ratlines, I think, would be determined by the scale of the current project....but one should also be aware that the shrouds should be as taught as possible. Otherwise, any effort to complete the ratlines would be that much more difficult and almost impossible if they are too loose....don't ask how I know ;) ..........

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

friend showed me a semi-quick way to make them.  He used a thin, blackened copper wire cut perhaps 1/2" longer than the ratline width at the point you are working; crimp one end around one outside stay, do a 360 degree wrap around the middle stay & crimp lightly, make a 180 degree wrap around the other outside stay, cut off the excess wire and crimp---Done! With a bit of care and practice the ratline will be straight and level; if you want some sag, put it in before the middle and last wrap. They will never come untied  :) .

At our small scales, you won't be able to see that it isn't tied, at least not from a normal viewing distance.

Jim

I used this same idea for making the 'snake' between the main and preventer stays on my Conny.

The vertical lines you see are on the paper as a guide for even spacing.

post-246-0-17879200-1364996068.jpg  post-246-0-69838500-1364996080.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I just use simple clove hitches but you need to be careful cutting the tails off - too short and the knots undo.

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Clove hitches are nice and you are right about cutting too close. Did it once before, not on rat lines, Made me want to cry.

Current Build:

On The Shelf:

Completed:

I recon it depends on where one is raised, I know it as a larks head knot.

Current Build:

On The Shelf:

Completed:

A friend showed me a semi-quick way to make them.  He used a thin, blackened copper wire cut perhaps 1/2" longer than the ratline width at the point you are working; crimp one end around one outside stay, do a 360 degree wrap around the middle stay & crimp lightly, make a 180 degree wrap around the other outside stay, cut off the excess wire and crimp---Done! With a bit of care and practice the ratline will be straight and level; if you want some sag, put it in before the middle and last wrap. They will never come untied  :) .

Jim

Jim, I tried your method quickly to see if it had any merits. I have some wire that is .009 inch diameter. That translates to about 0.7 inches on my scale. I made a template (which I need to do any way) and made a few attempts to use the thin wire. 

post-246-0-64656600-1365043869.jpg   post-246-0-67962300-1365043876.jpg

I finally gave up because I cannot see how I can crimp the ends uniformly as I go along.

I know I am not following your suggestion to the point, but I also cannot constantly rotate my model to get to the other side.

Thanks for this idea.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .