Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

That ultra-marine looks right on to me, EJ!  Fantastic progress.  Bolting the wales will be well worth the effort, so I encourage you to go for it.  Mr. John Jameson has been my reliable right-hand-man, lately, so go ahead and partner-up!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Might have a drink or two before those bolts though...

Well done and enjoy your drinks ;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 11/11/2017 at 8:10 AM, EJ_L said:

Michael, I do plan on attempting sails on this one. You build has inspired me to just go for it. I've never done cloth sails before so it will be a huge learning experience but, I need to start sometime! I will be referring back to your build a lot I'm sure and not only for the sails. :D

E.J. Glad to hear you will go for the sails - frustrations will certainly increase so stay within viewing distance of that bottle with a pirate on the label (or much better - of course)  :piratetongueor4:

That said - its a super personal learning accomplishment once done (for first timers). And as some builders have noted - for them - a necessary part of any build.

Mid-way through I regretted having started the sails - then I took some deep breaths and decided to really challenge the task - then it became a great part of the project.

PS: I had huge help with the stitching !!! That might have been a deal breaker for me had I not been able to farm out that so important bit to a professional. So I'm only really responsible for measuring, un-bleaching, cutting and rigging.

I'm touched that you will find some helpful bits for the sails in my log - as I had from other builder's who also added sails to their ships.

Look forward to your progress.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Looking really good!  You've convinced me to go with a darker blue on my build too--definitely more "Royale!"

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

A few more updates. Finished up the planking on the starboard side and have started planking the interior. I am delaying some on the wale thru bolts as I have a couple of ideas for materials but I need to make a trip to the hobby store and have not had the time to go this weekend. I'm gonna try to get down there this weekend as I would like to have them ready for my 4 day holiday weekend coming up. I have also started to build the canon carriages as those will need to install before to much longer so the decks can continue upward.

I have also started the process of figuring out how to close in the stern. I'm hoping to still be able to use the laser cut window frames though I know that I will still have to make some from scratch as the kit only provided enough for the 5 window layout and I am switching to a 6. Havn't done much on this yet, mostly just looking at example pictures and taking measurements but it is in the works.

As always, thanks for looking in! 75.jpg.0d46ca4e95408e8b86bd7977a653f7ea.jpg

76.jpg.6c11eede47c39db90641d23b4dc388cd.jpg

77.jpg.19212c8105f2e765139068c940a50dd8.jpg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

E J,

Beautiful hull. You must have an extraordinary steady hand.

Regards

Building gun carriages. I decided to make new carriages out of a bunch of scrap walnut pieces I had lying around over the kits laser cut ones. I will still use the laser ones in areas that won’t be seen but for the exposed guns I wanted something that looks better. Unfortunately I now have to cut out each side individually but I think it will be worth the effort. 

70F1233A-0468-4248-874B-595ACC40F9FA.jpeg

1DFE833C-3AB6-4E66-B3BA-2B8C91854EA3.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

You could glue two or more pieces together, cut them to shape and then soak them in the appropriate liquid for your glue to separate them. Should speed things up a little. 

looks great E.J.   very nice color and tone  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Don and Denis and to all the likes!

Don, I was thinking about something similar but instead of glue, I was thinking of double sided tape. My vise keeps the pieces from separating but the tape would maintain the alignment better. In all reality it is not that slow of a process now that I have done a few and gotten a rhythm going. Still, never hurts to find way to speed up mass production!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

That is still a possibility. I had started to use the strips that I had in the room with me. This morning while at work I began to think that I do have a bunch of larger blocks of wood out in the shop that could simplify the process by doing exactly that. We shall see what happens. :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Same comments as Sjors   - great work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

First group of cannons have been built. I won’t be installing them for a while yet but it is good to have them built and ready to go. I do still have to make 18 more for this deck but those are the mock up ones so they will go much faster. 

Now Im going to start working on the thru bolts for the wales. Pictures of that to follow. 

687B12B8-7B5E-4270-9328-4196BE10649A.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

The thru bolting has started!! I’m using HO scale track nails to simulate the bolts. Predrill the holes and hammer in the nails and it seems to be working well so far. 

3982570A-C3B5-43F1-AE9B-9E6A17F0A2C7.jpeg

C9FDB074-445D-4022-8534-5C58685564AE.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

More bolts..... :D

7E9007B7-DAD1-48C0-BCF5-389D0032F6AF.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

First 500 bolts in place. About a third of the way done now. I’m going to have to go get more soon. I still have another pack of 500 so good to go for a little while yet. Have to wait for the hobby store to get more in stock. 

B1D2BE16-C336-4955-B889-73E53DD6F421.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

The bolts look very nice E.J! Can't wait for more photos! :D

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

really nice progress EJ.....I can agree that they are added detail.  be careful though in places that can be seen,   along the bulwarks for any poking through.   you wouldn't want to be known as EJ the impaler. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and likes! This sure is a tedious process but I think it is worth it looking at the end result.

As for impaling my sailors, so far so good! I did not have to worry too much about it on the lower hull as it is all dummy space anyway with nothing inside to see. As I climb upward though I will have to trim down the nails so they don't come through. The seas were hazardous enough without a sadistic ship builder adding to the dangers. :P

When I go back to the store to get more nails I am going to have to buy more drill bits also. I've snapped two of them already and am on my last one before I get too big for the nail to still have any wood to hold onto. I could go smaller but I have to be careful that way that it does not get too tight to split the wood. Fortunately they are cheap enough to buy but I wish the store sold them individually so I did not have to buy a whole index. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I got a pleasant surprise last week........I visited a Harbor Freight tool store.   not that I needed any tools,  but I hadn't checked it out since it opened.   I ended up buying a torx bit set.....and a mini drill index that goes from 3 mm all the way down to 0.5 mm.   it has five each of the 0.5,  0.6, and 0.8 mm.......3 of the 1.0 mm...

.....and 2 of the 1.2,  1.5,  1.8, 2.0,  2.35,  and 3.0 mm.   if you have a store like this near you,  might be worth checking it out  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, it doesn't matter if you don't "need" any tool. Once you enter one of such stores, you automatically start "needing" things. :D

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I do have a Harbor Freight in town. May have to go check it out and see what I can find. I just realized how scary that statement will sound to the Admiral. May have to phrase that differently if I want to take the good ship Visa with me.... ;)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

don't I know it Ulises....I'm a mechanic by trade....errr..technician {I say that with my pinky raised}.   oh.......if I only had a REAL garage!.....all I got is this dinky little one.  I bought a 1/2 impact w/2" elongated anvil ;)      .....impact sockets...:wub:

they have clamps too.......saw a few other tools as well.   spent about $400.00 in there the other day for Christmas ;)  none of it for me!  :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks interesting the first time I’ve seen thru bolts displayed on the wales, were they common place on 17th century ships? cause they might solve a problem I have on my build of the San Martin.

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings