Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

get better soon EJ !  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for the compliments and well wishes. I am getting better. Still have a violent cough and tired so I'm trying to just rest this week after work and let the medicine do it's job. I am hoping to be back this weekend and able to resume working. On the plus side, I am getting a lot of good reading done! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Finally back in the shipyard this weekend. Added a couple more decorations and started to build the starboard quarter galley. Now I can even up both sides and move forward with the decorations. 

FC33DAF9-F4D8-4BD2-B6ED-E09F84F5C31A.jpeg

5D7F4926-0D73-425D-9B02-296152E10925.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Glad your on the mend, take it easy though  I know from experience how a disablity or illness can really get you down.

Your build is really looking superb.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Decorations are progressing on both sides. 

319C5986-C934-4527-A017-CC095F42591B.jpeg

18D24915-F51B-47C6-92E5-E1E5C60F6363.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

32 minutes ago, EJ_L said:

Decorations are progressing on both sides. 

319C5986-C934-4527-A017-CC095F42591B.jpeg

18D24915-F51B-47C6-92E5-E1E5C60F6363.jpeg

Looking great,  this is the stage I am at with my build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I’ve made and installed a few more decorations today. Working on the ones for the opposite side now. Still have a lot more to go just on the roof! I might have gotten more done but I ended up spending some time on the floor playing with my dogs. They got a new toy that needed breaking in. 

As always thanks for stopping in, the likes and comments. More to follow! 

2CACF43D-44F9-4E14-8B69-7B0C5CF64C88.jpeg

4CA1EBC3-C228-4764-868D-53A6DE4C6490.jpeg

BCFE5CAD-C043-4630-A3FA-D47CCC22C304.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Still working away at the decorations. I have a couple more to go on both sides then on to the next piece. I know I’m not the best carver out there but I’m happy with the results. Definitely learning a lot! 

As always, thanks for the comments, likes and just stopping in. More to follow soon! 

316F7F71-7803-48E2-A137-17572B78BDCD.jpeg

And the other side.

6FDD7542-B436-4FD0-B472-01EA0B5EB25E.jpeg

Edited by EJ_L
Add picture

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

That is looking rather nice EJ  really nice build you have going on there,  the fact that you create your own carvings is even more credit to you.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood
spilling mushsteakes

Current builds  

Completed works.

EJ,

Best carver or not the best carver. It looks very good to me.

Well done

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

O.C., Vic, Patrick, Martyn, thank you for all the kind words and thanks to all those who have hit the like button. 

This is my first time carving the decorations as I have always used the kit provided ones in the past. Every model I always talk about wanting to makes my own but I never felt I had the confidence and skill to do them. Then there was also the time factor and often impatience would get the better of me and I would just use the kit decorations to get them done so I could move on. Nothing wrong with doing that as I have some very nice models that have use those decorations. What bothered me was seeing all these other beautiful models in which the builder has carved their own and trying to justify my excuses for not doing the same. So finally I have started to carve and now I don't think I would want to go back. Yes it takes a lot more time but, it is the pride in each piece when done that makes it worth the time and effort. I know that the quality will improve with time and practice and I have the time to give.

Thanks again for stopping in and I hope to have another update soon!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Love the blue and the carvings.  Very nice job! 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the encouraging comments and likes! I finished up the last of the minor carvings for the two quarter galley roofs. Obviously the large statues are not yet in place nor will they be for some time yet as they will not go on till towards the end of the stern work. Partially because I do not want to risk damaging them while heavy work is still ongoing and partially because I'm not really sure what they are supposed to look like. If anyone has clear pictures of these statues or can point me in the direction to where I can see something that clearly shows them that would be great!

Now I swing around to the balconies to finish building the upper balcony. This is a much simpler piece yet still covered in decorations so the next update may be a while but rest assured it is coming! :D

91.JPG

92.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

The Captain's balcony is coming along at a slow but steady pace. I've finished out one corner as I wanted to see if I liked what I was doing. Now, I am building and installing the rest of the pieces. I've got a feeling that the remaining area will take up much of the next week's build time although I am picking up a little speed now that I know everything works.

As always, thanks for the comments, likes and just stopping in!

94.thumb.jpg.e096ebda284bc946acff4698e0d41518.jpg

93.thumb.jpg.74fe8c86c1595a471262627d045a7d3e.jpg

95.thumb.jpg.b6380cdf1e285884f27ffa7a78419e5f.jpg

96.thumb.jpg.f350fbd2d815afadf813a263a8237c0e.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I am going to tap lightly on the brakes here, EJ, to say that I think the outboard face of the stern balconies should run parallel with the angle of the stern;  the balconies, themselves, should rake aft, as opposed to plumb with the waterline.  I don’t think this would be a major fix, as you could salvage the entire aft face and just re-make the sides.  I raise the flag, here, because the inconsistency is visually jarring.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Marc, that makes sense and was one of the unclear items that had crossed my mind. Differences in drawings, paintings and instructions plus practicalities and visual appearance. I went with a more vertical approach from the practical perspective. If the rail is at a 90 to the deck, then it is better suited to actually keeping a person on the balcony vs. if it is at an outward angle, that person is more likely to go overboard as the rail already has them leaning outward. I guess that is my 21st century brain thinking of safety and not my 17th century brain. :P

Unfortunately, fixing the issue may not be as simple as just changing the side panels due to the way they are constructed but, it is still early enough that any damage and replacements would be a minimum. Good catch! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Certainly, from a practical standpoint, you are right, EJ.  Everything I’ve seen, though, seems to show that function followed form, here.

I’m not sure who’s framing diagram this is - it’s probably Michel Saunier’s - but I think it’s a pretty good rule of thumb on this particular design issue.

99720D5B-138E-4F74-B3D8-E91184B7868D.thumb.png.e4e08c4fe7e3725203df27b3f18ec418.png

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Funny you should mention health and safety--a very common comment from people who look at my ships is that they wouldn't want to lean against the stern rails for fear of taking a dive.  It's absolutely no proof, but I've seen a lot of paintings of old ships that make it look as if they floated slightly lower at the bow which made the stern railings more perpendicular to the waterline.  But that would also have made the poop and gallery decks steeper so I'm not sure if that theory has any validity. 

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

EJ,

Been away from all of my favorite shipyards (as well as mine) for the last couple of weeks. Just catching up....

Your stern balconies have, indeed, become a conundrum. :default_wallbash: Good luck with a resolution that pleases you, and won't be a distraction after

completing this build. 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael, welcome back! Life sure does get in the way of ship building sometimes. Been experiencing some of that myself the past few days.

To bring the log up to date, I decided to rebuild the stern balconies. I have removed the old ones and have new bulkheads and railings in place that match the ship's stern profile. While this was obviously frustrating as any redo is, it has given me an opportunity to improve the decorations as well. I will try to put up some pictures later tonight or in the morning of where I am at. Still have along way to go as the carvings have slowed me down to a crawl but all this work will be worth it when done. :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Here are a few pictures of what is being done. I rebuilt the rails so they now match the stern bulkhead angle. I've also had to rebuild some of the trim and decorations as they either got damaged removing them, no longer fit or I didn't like their look and decided to replace them. Case in point are the vertical decorations in the center of the panels. While I liked the way I had the old ones, they were not what is shown on Berain's drawings which I am largely using as a baseline though obviously with some changes, namely in that I have full balconies and he only shows partial ones centered on the cabins. The decorations I have now made more closely resemble his details though they still need some cleaning up and are not a perfect match. Some changes had to be made in regard to my skill and scale. I have also come to the conclusion that I really need to buy better wood for carving. The basswood I have been using is way to soft for the fine details. These have not yet been glued in place just dry fitted. I do not glue my pieces until after they are painted.

More to follow, slowly but surely.

98.jpg

99.jpg

97.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks Vic! That sounds like exactly what I've been doing lately. Slow and tedious work to be sure but that is what brings in the wow factor when done. 

I'm still building away on the balcony. Finished one corner and about halfway through the other now. Then the center and done. With the simple balcony... :rolleyes::P The plus side to all of this is hopefully the others will not have to be scrapped and rebuilt. :D I was hoping to have pictures this weekend but of course I ended up being sick again and while not as severe as the last round, it still kept me away from the shipyard during a lot of prime build time. Having 50 degree temperature swings every day and a very dry winter is not helping with cold and flu season.

Anyway, I know this is a dull moment in the log as not much is being posted so thanks for hanging in there with me and I promise there will be something new soon!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

it's all part of the process EJ........any progress is good progress ;)    take care of yourself,  and by the time you make your next update....I'm sure it will be a biggie!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch