Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

At long last the upper balcony is complete! Little touch up paint to do but the overall construction is done. Now to drop down a level start the middle balcony and quarter galleys. 

1A0DF4A4-DE43-4734-A901-0BBDEA1A2344.jpeg

764F6DA3-F978-433F-B749-CCC1AE680C85.jpeg

3EF0727F-40BA-403A-A36B-030782BA8499.jpeg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

you've done a great job with the balcony.......all three together are going to really look nice  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone! I've been hard at work at my job....but also the ship and have a good start on the middle tier balcony. Hoping to have the bulkheads completed in the next day or two and ready for the ornamentation's to start. This tier will have more intricate carvings that I will have to make but, I am feeling more confident that I can get them done. Picture updates soon!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

As good fortune would have it I managed to get in a very productive build session tonight and the middle balcony is now built. Time to start adding the decorations! This is going to take some trial and I’m sure many errors. I have a plan, we shall see how it turns out.... 

Till then enjoy the pictures! 

B89984AA-CAF7-469F-800F-B714F16F384F.jpeg

59D2250F-4C3E-4348-A993-928B86BDF7ED.jpeg

0B1BC9EE-4E31-4396-A70C-448FE14AD294.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

First carving set has been made. Very time consuming and frustrating when little pieces break off but I got one done! The process is actually simple in design. Draw it out on the blank and then I coated the blank in super thin ca glue to help keep the wood bonded together but still easy to sand off. Then I cut out the rough shapes using drill bits and a #11 blade. Once the rough cutting is done I used the #11 blade and the micro files to finish shaping and smoothing. Finally paint and install. 

Still have the touch ups to do and and some other small details that need to be made for the oval centers and of course all the other sections which I’m starting the next piece of when I get done with this update. 

As always, thanks for looking in and enjoy the pictures! 

A25D75A0-96C7-4E10-9F9C-22FD4CB713E7.jpeg

BFB759D9-E1AC-48CF-8B5D-7C4C6D687CD5.jpeg

40590823-E955-4187-94B6-C5738D83CAEC.jpeg

7DCE971B-B692-486F-BE04-F001CD735868.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

A little more progress. Both sides are now matching and I’m now cutting out the center. The real challenge is going to be figuring out how to get Le Soleil Royal in that center oval. The oval is only 8.5mm wide and 4mm tall. Not sure how to make that work just yet... 

02E9A40B-F7C1-4F94-A501-3790EEAC6D10.jpeg

A4CD9A80-F2D1-4784-941E-0B60BED0233B.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

great progress E.J.
I am sure that you will find the right solution for this challenge.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

looking very nice EJ.....gotta be nerve racking though ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

It is indeed nerve racking! Honestly, the worst part isn't so much that something breaks, that is just about inevitable. The worst part is when a tiny piece breaks and falls to the floor and gets lost in the carpet. That means I either have to grab the flashlight, get down on the floor and comb the carpet until it turns up all the while hoping that it didn't take a crazy bounce and get to far away from the common search areas or get lost in dog fur or I have to start over which is never fun.

The lettering at this small of a scale is still eluding me a the moment. I'm thinking I am going to have to do some sort of printed decal or if I can find a pen with a fine enough point I may be able to just write it in myself. Going to do a lot pf practice though on some scrap to see how it turns out.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Backer's idea,

Can you not make the oval piece with the name separate?

This may work easier

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

hahaha....yea....absolutely amazing how a tiny piece can fall to the floor right in front of you and disappears....it's actually kinda scary .....i always figured it was the alien kids practicing abduction, cause they weren't allowed to do humans......anyways, if i don't immediately find it, i use a small manual hokey carpet sweeper, and go over the whole area, and most of the time it works....i empty it out each time, so it's easier to find in the dust etc.....

I have a similar vacuum that I use to find small pieces also. When we moved from the old house I used it on the floor in the old shipyard and found a lot of tiny parts that had been lost over the years. Especially eyebolts. I bet I lose easily a couple dozen on every model. :rolleyes:

I am considering making a separate oval piece with the lettering done on it. In fact, that is how I plan on doing the test pieces. My thinking is if I do a test piece that I love, I can simply insert it into the complete carving rather than try again and risk screwing it up. We shall see... :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

More decorations are in place! Been a productive weekend! 

80A24943-F99F-4CD1-9760-C1365BB4555E.jpeg

A73B3421-46F0-4FD5-BDF2-01CBEA5B17F6.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

sweet!....especially the one in the middle!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

EJ,

Just catching up. Looking sweet indeed. Really like your gold gilded work excellent -well those bits that are not devoured by the carpet. I would bet

that every member here has fallen prey to this kind of thievery - carpet members that is - PS: yup like me. :default_wallbash: 

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Another section of decorations have been added. Now to make the other side look the same and then I have to create a lot of fluer-de-lis. 

As always, thanks for stopping in, the nice comments and likes! 

078E9F9F-2B6D-4199-AC3F-C6EFC16134E4.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Wow! I knew the upper balcony was sagging but when I look at the picture on my computer screen compared to my phone when I uploaded it, that is indeed bad! I knew I was going to have to adjust it as I could see something happened to push it down on the aft side. I think when I made the side panels I may have cut them at the wrong angle which has forced the aft end downward and become more noticeable now with the middle balcony in place. Should be a relatively easy fix to trim back the sides which will hopefully allow the aft end to raise back up.

It never ceases to amaze me how you can stare at something for days on end and miss things until you look at them in a picture! :default_wallbash:

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

cameras can be our own worst enemies!  ;)    looks very good though.......your quite the artist!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Frustrating, for sure, but the fix will be well worth it.  Middle balcony really came out nicely, EJ.  I’m still puzzling as to how to write the Ship’s name in such a small space.  This may be an application for photo-etching.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Not much to update on the ship from this weekend. Weather was very nice for most of it and so I spent a lot of it out with the Admiral and the rest in the wood shop finishing a project and getting ready to start a new one. I did start on fixing the upper balcony last night though. I got one side trimmed out and should have the other side done tonight. Then I can re-position it, touch up and return to decorations. 

Here is what I worked on this weekend. Last fall I started to restore our porch bench as both the wood and metal were in rough shape. I disassemble it last fall, stripped and sanded down the wood then after confirming the wood was still sound, I applied a new stain coat and sealer. The metal I took to my dad's auto shop and sand blasted them bare, sprayed primer and then painted with an exterior paint coat. I ran all the connecting hardware through a wire wheel to remove the rust and painted them as well. Finally after months of it sitting in pieces on one of the benches in the shop, I got it reassembled this weekend and returned to our porch where it belongs. Now I have some bookcases I need to build for the Admiral and I may be able to work in my display case for La Couronne sometime soon.  

29261942_1808841055827302_3943539834752073728_n.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Vic, I'm planning on a curio cabinet design to display La Couronne in. The Admiral is needing a place for her collectibles also so I figure I can do both in one unit to save space. I'll post pictures of it when I get it going.

kpnuts, Thanks for the kind words and great to have you along on this build. Always nice to have builders of the same ship together to help each other learn and grow.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Looking great E.J! Your carvings are fantastic, as is that bench.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Middle balcony is coming along with the bulk of the decorations now in place. Got some more details to add and also support columns between the two balconies. Glad those carvings are done as I am ready to move on to the next painstaking set. :rolleyes::P

E00257E5-3195-484D-9CE9-527B4A1F49E8.jpeg

87D32B78-3A27-4197-8C8E-096855BC4CD2.jpeg

E6E3BA71-940F-4063-96D4-84D83BC4F326.jpeg

D9C77898-9B07-45D5-B3D7-147CF1E61816.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ,

As you add more carvings the fine work that you are doing is really "taking off" super nice work. 

Carving is on my list of things to learn - one of these days. Great that you took the plunge!

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I see you fixed the upper balcony....looks much better.   when you add the support columns,  it should stop the sagging from returning.   looks great! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: