Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

That comparison really shows you made the right decision!  And I like the way you've been able to make modifications to make your build even more unique.  Well done.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

And the start of the next figure which will sit above the port quarter galley. 

11A37E2A-41A4-4AE5-8AFF-7720F93C6114.jpeg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

really super progress EJ.......carving look better than the originals ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A few more carving updates. 

32550B2C-4CA5-41BA-9BB1-9B1911E6D791.jpeg

F5875514-8D55-407D-A9E1-4F6D92AD5048.jpeg

86DED41C-9426-42B8-8FEF-36D9E0AB4653.jpeg

FC92F4CA-ED5F-4CE9-9668-67E287CAEAFC.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

And mounted on the ship. 

9A53DC0F-8ECB-42C2-A707-A5032C3BFF4B.jpeg

611A9232-3E90-4CCA-8E7E-4FD7C6F79F52.jpegMy next question to the SR experts out there is what is she holding? I’ve seen 3 variants one being a fish, one a wheat sheaf and one a scepter so I’m thinking there was maybe some changes or just general disagreement on what she was holding. Does anyone know for certain or does it really matter much? I’m thinking either the fish or wheat would be appropriate as long as it was a food showing wealth but maybe I’m wrong in that thinking. Once I ha e a clearer idea I will add it to her hand.

Next up will be the starboard figure! 

Thanks as always to the comments, likes and visits. The suggestions and knowledge shared is always appreciated as is just the general encouragement. This truly is a great community. 

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nice carving EJ! :) Is there going to be another on the other side? Maybe one was holding a fish and the other wheat? I really have no idea! :P:huh:

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Your carving is top notch EJ!.

And I can not help you with what she is holding.

Maybe it has something to do with what she is doing?

Guarding or just sailing or on a peace mission?

Sjors

Hey EJ - great work on your figure of the “Americas”!

Looking as closely as I can at Berain’s drawing of the stern, it appears that this figure, on the port side, is not holding anything.  Her left hand is perched, at her side, upon the arched pass-through that she sits upon. Her right arm is raised, crossing her body with the hand resting on the quarter piece that supports the side lantern.

It is the figure of “Europe,” astride her horse (perched upon the left side of the taffrail) that appears to be holding a pointed spear, or scepter.  This would make sense, thematically, as Europe was the dominant continental power, with “Asia” (on the right side of the taffrail, astride her camel), the next leading world power.  The neo-classical robes of Europe and Asia are emblematic of their self-conception as developed cultures, while the Americas and Africa are mostly bare-skinned and wearing only primitive vestments.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

You are welcome, Jay.  In truth, though, I owe my understanding of the allegory of SR’s stern to Michel Saunier and his painstaking research for his completely scratch-built model.  Michel is the primary researcher of this ship.  If you haven’t seen his model, you should look it up on MSW.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Thank you everyone for all the comments, likes and following along! Another busy week working on the ship has passed and just like that, all the balcony and quarter galley sculptures are complete! I wasn’t sure I would ever get to say that... Of course I still have a lot to go when I get to the sides but another bite of the elephant has been taken. 

Next up I am going to build he rudder and add the stern chasers and port lids so I can spin the ship around to focus on the bow and sides. 

More to come but, for now enjoy the update! 

68D0D0D3-323C-4A9A-AB87-58420955E635.jpeg

EDC3D1CE-9744-4155-8B42-4B35DF98A2DA.jpeg

72C07498-09C0-4400-B79C-E29A38D8359D.jpeg

F9233F8A-6067-499E-94C5-57ECEE1C87CA.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Amazing carvings, great work!  You probably mentioned this before but can I ask what wood you are using?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Absolutley  Superb,   this is why joining our family here is so worthwhile, to witness a master piece of art being created stage by stage.

Thank you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm sure I'm not alone........all the while your making these carvings,  I tend to forget that your lighting the model too.  so it's an added treat to see her lit up  :)   she's look'in very good EJ.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

An amazing achievement--looking better all the time.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Thank you all so very much for the compliments and likes!

Mike, the wood for the carvings is basswood, what can be easily found in most of the major U.S. hobby stores, Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc. It is a great wood to learn with as it is soft and easy to shape with knives and files but, due to it's softness it has a harder time taking and holding fine details. Also it is prone to splitting rather easily. I've spent a lot of time searching for tiny pieces like arms, hands, feet, vine tips and the like that flake off unintentionally. If I can find the broken piece I can often glue them back together and continue but sometimes I have to start over. Granted, that can be said about any wood but, bass wood is a bit more prone to it due its softness.  

I've got some cut off scraps that of cherry, apple and maple that I am starting to work with to see how those take. On this model since I am painting all the decorations I will probably continue to use the basswood for the remaining decorations with the exception of the bow figure. Due to the size and detail involved in that particular piece, I will probably try whichever sample species I like the best. Most builds I prefer not to paint the wood but instead use the natural wood colors. For those I want to use a nicer wood that will both take the detail better but also not leave the "fuzzy" look that the basswood tends to leave. I've seen a lot of very nice models where the builder has left them natural and they are beautiful. That is the goal I have set for myself. I still have some work to do... 😬

Denis, you hit the nail on the head with forgetting about the lights! My dad actually said the same thing a few days ago. He called me up saying that he was trying to show a friend pictures of my model ships and couldn't remember if it was this one or the last that had lights. I realized it had been a while since I had updated any with them on. It does add a really cool element to the build and I am glad I took the time to install them. Makes for a really cool look at night too with the lights off. I will have to try to get a picture of it that way on one of the future updates.

Well, back to it. Working on the rudder tonight. Thank you all again for following along! 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I’ve started work in the bow areas this weekend. Nice to be able to look at a different end of the ship for a change. 😁  

As always, thank you all for the nice comments, likes and following along. More to follow! 

656E5B0F-988B-46E8-8783-3067C1DCA42E.jpeg

87C53929-B38B-459E-B892-0F61F9A63E95.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

That is a high forecastle.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since the last update but, I’ve not been idle. Lots of work on the bow and knees. I’ve also started to carve the figure head. I’m planning on making it in two pieces, seahorse and rider. I’ve also chosen to carve these out of cherry wood as I wanted to try a harder wood to see how the details hold up and just how difficult it would be to carve. 

66338C91-C59B-4215-8390-813266F67E45.jpeg

4DD248FF-BE80-4345-8D69-DA728DE44091.jpeg

E8AAA251-F4EC-4AA3-A442-E8338908FF5F.jpeg

3429E3B9-F1F5-413D-BE6B-5E02A712A321.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

First part of the figurehead is dryfitted in place. I will start working on the rider next as well as the shield piece that will sit between the front legs. 

FD63EDE2-03EA-4580-92E1-B6B2FA9503FF.jpeg

F4A896C9-06DA-4C21-97D9-9032FCC02D9D.jpeg

FA09F293-3526-4EE8-8B69-8768C1BFD4C0.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart