Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

it's OK about the flag EJ..........I never saw it before you corrected the mistake  :D  :D   I've  gotten the discoloration from the Ca as well.......I use white glue instead

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 1/13/2019 at 4:40 PM, EJ_L said:

The bulkhead under the forecastle was much like those towards the stern for the officers quarters. They provided compartmentalized space for private rooms or storage or to get out of the weather. I cannot say for certain if this feature was on SR but, I have seen it on many similar ships and figured it may well have been there. 

With any bulkhead on a gun deck, they could easily be removed by the carpenter and his mates when the decks were cleared for action. As you said, the sailors would need to have clear space for easy movement during a fight so the cabin bulkheads were designed to be held in place with pins that could be removed when needed. 

Hi EJ--That makes a lot of sense.  I know that they had movable screens in the stern cabins to open up the gun decks.   But it seems like a lot of unnecessary bother to have one under the focsle--and why did they put trap doors in it?  Anyway, it's an interesting feature.  Thanks!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Channels are going up.

I’m holding off on installing the chains on the mizzenmast channel. I’m working on creating some additional scroll work to fit in these spaces and need access below this channel.

I’m not sure yet to the how and what these decorations will look like or even if this is a good idea but, I’m gonna try anyway! 

B442AE81-B172-4B35-A488-4866C3E657A5.jpeg

7D2A7AB7-C6EF-48E1-A07A-B4D86370AB61.jpeg

8C594742-4579-4F0B-BA31-5B7FD310680E.jpeg

71BA397F-22B2-44F5-B2A5-BDFEC66364B8.jpeg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I don't know yet. Honestly, that has been a bare spot that has long bothered me. With an enclosed QG, they would not have decoration as it would not be seen. With them open, I do not know. I'm sketching some different designs for the other bare places for fill ins. I'm taking a lot of creative free will in these designs as none of the more "traditional" decorative designs fit the spaces this kit left me with. With some luck, I might just make something that looks okay... :rolleyes:

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

..a continued great job EJ.........she's looking awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking good EJ.  Keep it up.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hi EJ--I think some decorations under the channels would look good--maybe some little fleur de lis? 

Also, I have my question of the week.  Do you know how crew would have accessed the poop deck so they could work with flags, lanterns, etc.?  I would have expected there to be ladders up from the deck below, but the plans don't indicate any and I've never seen any ladders in any of the photos of other builds I've seen.  With the doors and windows all across the bulkhead below the poop deck  I can understand why the kit doesn't include a ladder, and there certainly wouldn't have been a hatch into the cabins below.  Looks like you are not including a ladder but I'd be interested in your thoughts.  Thanks!

Tom

Tom

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Tom, good question and one I have wondered about myself often. On past builds I have usually built and placed a ladder to the poop deck (poop royal on this ship?) as those seem to be the only practical way of gaining access to this deck. Much the same as you, I have been looking through plans and other models of Soleil Royal and have not seen any ladders placed. This has been one of those unsure things for me as to what would be correct. Common sense is telling me that there should be one, but common sense has been overridden several times on these ships.

I'm hoping that additional digging will reveal the solution or that one of the experts may know and share. The plus side is that they are easy to access so if I need to add them or just decide to add them regardless, it can be done almost whenever. 

On an update note, I do not have pictures yet, but I have been working on additional decorations. Fleur-de-lis are indeed being used as well as some scroll work. I should have some pictures ready this week.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I found these curtosy of the net  - not sure if they help?

OC.

le-soleil-royal-plan-de-1685.jpg

coupec10.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hello EJ,

It is an annoying void in kits of SR that there is no representation of reasonable access to the poop and poop-royal decks.  Here is what is presented for the St Philippe monographie:

16E9FDBC-1B29-4B3F-BA63-6814A01B2421.thumb.jpeg.584a2922f3cbea71aea480892e4f8431.jpeg

6C555D74-0863-4785-B9BF-8024ED5FFF61.thumb.jpeg.17868cfead6db8ab90d41cd155c44589.jpeg

I will, myself, create this sort of bridge platform (although, here, the so-called bridge is really the roof-deck over an officers sleeping berth) over my aft-most quarter deck gun, in order to create access to my poop deck.  I may, though, create a different Dutch-style (reverse curve) bulkhead for the poop-royal deck with treads attached directly to the bulkhead.  What’s left of my poop-royal deck will be significantly lower and somewhat shorter than what the stock kit allows for.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

O.C., Marc, thank you both for the images. I will most likely add in the ladders as I would think I would rather err on the side of them existing. without just raises too many questions. Another item has been added to the build list....

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks very much guys--great discussion.  The challenge I've got (and I think EJ too) is that we've installed the windows and doors in the bulkhead so ladders and threads aren't the best option--you need to be a chess player  and think 12 steps ahead with this kit instead of the usual six or so.  I know it will be totally incorrect, but I'm thinking of a hatch in the poop royal behind the port door with a ladder going down to the poop.  I have no idea what would have been housed in that room (officer's dining?  probably no one's sleeping quarters) but it would be a logical solution from a building perspective if not from a ship layout perspective.  

Tom

Thanks for reminding me of that amazing build.  I could say that the room belongs to a junior officer who just has to deal with people using his room!

Tom

I am fortunate in that I did think about this problem back when I was building the bulkheads. I set my cabin doors inboard by one window space in order to leave room for a possible ladder. I had questioned the lack of access back then and had just not come to a resolution in the months since.

With the heavy changes that I did to the ship to allow me to build out the interiors, I had to largely scrap what I was given on the plans as a design for these bulkheads. While creating a lot more work, it also gave me the freedom to modify them to better fit some details. It has also made fitting other things a pain as the unchanged kit no longer works right with the modified areas. All in what makes modeling fun! :)    

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Slight distraction was waiting for me when I got home from work tonight. May not get a lot of building done today. :) 

CC13490F-471D-4FFC-BFAC-339D413E8D23.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

More decorations are in place. Now I can finish installing the chains for the dead eyes. 

08FA00F3-6071-448C-8E1D-39414C4586A7.jpeg

9AE396B2-76A6-4121-AACD-25397B0C1045.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

she's coming along great EJ.........the added decorations and dead eye / channels look really super.   very nice work :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Started construction of the port lids. Got the lids themselves built this weekend and am now starting to fit the hardware. Did a test fit on the first one and it seems to be working fine. Now to blacken the hardware and assemble all 58 lids. 

6DE2AD55-7D74-410A-A36A-584CB13E9EAD.thumb.jpeg.9708c1d5ab7ae1bb987906c7b05ceeb3.jpeg

E13E9648-0DC8-419D-A488-C90F9B2DD838.thumb.jpeg.d9c04de3fe82c463988c1c3ceb809486.jpeg

B4C428CE-B416-4BF9-AB91-82F2D99E262B.thumb.jpeg.1ad209b15633d0774e02826dac7949b2.jpeg

045600A0-6933-4BF9-B510-8C4FC1613625.thumb.jpeg.b623a4b871e7e69f1b54d1b99af23661.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

They look mighty fine.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

All the port lids have been created and I have started to install them. First 10 are in place along with the cannon for that port. I still need to touch up the paint and adjust the lids, but I am moving along. 

01C01EE8-425F-453F-8932-030A006825E5.thumb.jpeg.4aeaf91ab87b45382e03225d332e4696.jpeg

9A109022-EF8E-4433-B83E-1ED51C3B85B9.thumb.jpeg.9bf70bb0c0edac37a9971fb609a3081f.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Port broadside is armed and ready. Now to repeat on the starboard side. 

E2034A6B-6A93-429A-B53D-B5BE8D9D6583.jpeg

942F89F4-9B8E-4620-8451-AF0EC1220C0F.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Beautiful work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

O.C. has this right.

And when you have also done all of the gilded carvings for this current project of yours E.J  it becomes even more impressive !!

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa