Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

Thank you so much Michael and O.C. as well as everyone else who have been leaving the nice compliments, suggestions and likes. The support is always welcome. 

No pictures at the moment but I almost have the rest of the port lids ready, just 8 more to attach ropes to and then I can start hanging them in place and setting the dummy cannon barrels. With some luck, I may have a fully armed ship this weekend! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

great job on the port lids.......really getting to be a super decorative hull now!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wonderful craftsmanship! Look forward to watching this build. 

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Thank you all for the words, likes and following along. Jonathan, welcome to the build! 

I finished with the starboard broadside today. Now, just a few details left to go and then the mast and rigging will start. 

DFFEA071-0FED-4036-89FC-85173A2B841D.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

What a great looking ship.  Keep going.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thank you everyone! 

Working on the skids this week. I made a template out of a note card that I can transfer to the wood. Traced it out and am ready to start cutting. I plan on doing a test piece first and if everything works out, I will progress to the rest. There are five skids on each side. Two of which will frame the ladder. 

03B261C3-6A3D-4DA6-801D-442C38B73F06.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Starboard side skids and ladder are in place. Now to repeat on the port side. 

B5161782-8DBA-4EE0-9214-7CBFE2CD9924.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Outstanding work!!! It is a pleasure to behold!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Skids and ladder are installed on both sides. I have also added a couple more decorations on the upper quarter galleries. With those pieces, the ship’s hull is basically complete. The only other major structures left to build are the ship’s boats and cradles which are more of a separate assembly in my opinion. 

I will likely be pausing on this build for a while to spend some time on the Royal Louis build. When I return, the boats and masts will be the priority. 

8F76974F-245F-42BA-8CBB-35AF6261A9BA.jpeg

7828C609-9493-432C-85CA-8BEA740A70CD.jpeg

EC762DA1-9730-4E34-B954-D289FFA42980.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

First rate craftmanship   - she is looking superb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 4 weeks later...

I think you've done a fantastic job!  This model is massive.  Keep at it.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

While Royal Louis is waiting for my health to improve so I can begin the sanding/filling and more sanding work to smooth out the hull, I have decided to start construction on the ship’s boats for Soleil Royal. Figured these would be a “simple” enough project to attempt right now. 

CA3A958F-C4CC-4D1F-9B53-58A2A23C0B2C.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Hope you feel better soon!

Looks like you are using the kit materials for the boats.  I've always found boats one of the most challenging things to do and I'm dreading the experience with the quality of this kit.  Good luck!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Thank you all for he nice words, well wishes and of course the likes and visits. I am feeling better and I think this round is finally ending. I have a follow up with my doctor soon to find out more.

I did use the kit supplied materials to build the boats. Not overwhelmingly happy about the end results. The frames were not cut very well and with the wide spacing and extremely thin provided planks, the overall condition leaves more to be desired. Fortunately, I mostly just need them as a placeholder for now. I will not secure the cradles nor the boats till the rigging is further along and nothing else needs to go down to the bits below. 

With that time available to me, I am going to look into seeing if here is a way to improve the current boats and if not, then I will probably just fabricate new ones. 

So up next will be he start of mast building. I will start the lower masts up to the tops. 

639A3823-7138-4C5B-8D76-84DC38BEEEE7.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Glad to see you back   - hope all is well for you with your health, looking forward to more updates when you can.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Small update. I got the masts cut to length and squared off the heads. Now I am working on the cheeks for the tops. 

67437CCC-85A0-493D-8861-219FD05A8965.thumb.jpeg.98aab0c4017cee668e37f52224020dd6.jpeg

Would have have done more but my dogs have demanded my attention to make up some play time now the the weather is nice after the cold and wet winter. 

65A1BB2E-950E-4E48-BBFC-3AD9C52697F8.thumb.jpeg.8e6c2bab34607312ffcd4418acb82066.jpegD7CE8975-8FEB-4556-B829-1FD1CE191254.thumb.jpeg.196e913191fe6fd9518da174c1b5236f.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Cheeks, trestle-trees and cross-trees in place. I will place the woldings and any blocks that secure to he lower masts next and then work on the tops will start. B68DFCAD-47D8-4F1B-879E-7D6942DAA2C8.thumb.jpeg.2eef6177f400c77321b00467af2f6576.jpegE2011DC0-30EB-461A-9020-A464AEE07417.thumb.jpeg.770b361abe80467c451c4ea319ca0c14.jpeg2D042121-C23E-4548-BA78-CD3F73161A7A.thumb.jpeg.729742f13c95e5174c9e71f4ee6321f9.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Mast work continues with woldings on the main mast. EF6E72B1-B051-4BAB-9BC8-CC320E9FD19D.thumb.jpeg.58395b34ba1055c2b0cb8fb6aed46f76.jpegA9639ECF-9735-437E-BE78-0664EB4146B2.thumb.jpeg.cf907222422b3af15f2984569728677b.jpeg2CADBB10-CE21-4C8F-AA96-4B9F51EB3AB5.thumb.jpeg.2b55a09f62e428f717f115edc666bc3f.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

catching up on your project EJ...........glad to hear your feeling better :)    the hull looks fantastic.........and the first steps of the masts are looking fine as well.  awesome work :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work EJ! She's looking very cool!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thank you all very much for the comments and likes. As always, they are great sources of knowledge and encouragement. 

Work is continuing on the masts and no, hey are not glued in yet nor will they be for some time yet. Much easier to work on them off the ship.

Woldings are in place and I’ve begun to fit some of the blocks. I’ve ordered the ropes and blocks from Chuck that will be replacing all of he kit blocks and all of the standing rigging. 

While I await those, I have started to build the tops. Pictures of that work to follow probably this weekend. 

C42E3931-46A5-4268-8B80-BB2535FD443B.jpeg

D63FC668-721C-468C-94E8-3986DE0F55CC.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Received the rope and blocks from Syren this week. Great service from Chuck as always and incredibly fast delivery. Ordered Wednesday morning and they were in my mailbox waiting for me when I came home from work on Friday. 

FC074A91-178A-463E-BE72-6C468AB364E3.thumb.jpeg.bd2ee56cdc17cd60fc73f30aeed29ce9.jpeg

0CD15BBA-6E0B-44AF-B4BB-0433B34F3455.thumb.jpeg.9162ca71354675057440008a7c2eddc5.jpeg

Work has has been progressing nicely on the tops. Fore and main tops are built and in place though not yet glued. Mizzen top is underway, then the bowsprit. Once the masts and wood works are complete, the rigging of the stays will commence. 

7CEA8B7E-E3CE-4F82-BA65-AA547E86752A.thumb.jpeg.ed9dc3c68878ad864305198372972277.jpeg

2FC5044E-8773-4193-945D-1C744340A689.thumb.jpeg.16df88c754e03b60dfc1077ee9070532.jpeg

78529D0C-2F2F-45A2-AC19-612BF66CDD88.thumb.jpeg.3a9e8decf56bb40312589a2a1f11cec6.jpeg

4B724781-D409-41D2-AD57-87260AF398AB.thumb.jpeg.f5bbb00c1a6a223f6ae712592c56b978.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nice work on the tops  - that stuff from Syren looks tasty, I never thought to order different thread/ropes - I just use watery pva to de fuzz the thread that came with some of my kits.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks O.C.. I use a mix bag when it comes to rigging. It largely depends upon what I receive in the kits. In this particular case, the ropes I got are actually decent, but they are only of one color and two sizes (not counting the rope for the anchor). I will be able to use them extensively for the running rigging, but I had nothing that I could use for the standing rigging. 

The hardest part is measuring for quantities and figuring out what sizes are needed. Not really a difficult task, just takes some time. Spent an evening with flexible tape measures, note cards and calculators plus my scale conversion app. I think I got all that I will need. If not, well I know where to get more! :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Had a rough start to the weekend when a tire on my truck blew out while I was going 70mph on the highway. Exciting moment when the truck suddenly lunged to the right. Fortunately, I was able to keep control and pull off safely. Now I get to go tire shopping instead of buying wood for Royal Louis.... 😕

E5C5BCEA-1E69-47EF-AF71-50A95321DFDB.thumb.jpeg.81fefeb708e258a5e36997a17785a9d1.jpeg

Mast work is progressing well. The tops have been built and dry fit. Still have a few details to add to the bowsprit as well as attaching the blocks and then I will be able to permanently install it and add the gammoning. Once the bowsprit is in place, the stays will be fit to the fore, main and mizzen. 

First, it is time to take a little time and clean up the table. It has become a bit too cluttered with wood scraps. 

4CDC8AC6-B89D-48B4-A798-0F6836CBA562.thumb.jpeg.da35a8e3b96014db603526a1d83e548f.jpegE48E16F0-973E-4C69-BEBA-31C415002AAA.thumb.jpeg.d757777e5d95569f61a6a74bdd6ea4af.jpeg59BEB7AB-3080-46F3-BBA9-D9F4FC2AD940.thumb.jpeg.3a7f6feaae2414a0cc96d53ab4216abb.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart