Some beginners questions on deck planking

Hello.

I have just got the model Revenge from Amati (ship from 1577) and the manual is great, but when it comes to the deck planking they don't suggest any form of caulking. I think it would look more realistic if I added that but when I also need to cut the deck planks into "correct lengths" and use some deck planking pattern that is correct for the time period. The manual just suggest putting the planks next to each other to make a "solid" deck.

I wonder what the correct length of deck planks and pattern was during the 16th century (1577). I have tried to search for it but can't find any good information.

Hi Zamuel.

At that scale I would just rubbish a pencil on the edge that buts to the next plank. Simple to do and looked OK after a light sanding.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

120 mm planks at 1:64 would be 25' scale, this length also makes it divisible for all shift patterns...2, 3, 4, or 5. This information is thanks to Ulises Victoria who has a great deck planking tutorial on the NRG site. http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/Deck_PlankingIIbuttshifts.pdf

Edited by donrobinson

Greetings Zamuel,

I used the included deck planking in the kit and cut lengths to approximately 20 feet. I've attached a close-up of my completed Revenge which you may find helpful. I use a "Sharpie" black marker (felt tipped pen) and run it (carefully) along ONLY one edge of adjacent planks to simulate caulking.

I then use an awl for simulated planking trunnels. After the awl "pokes," I use a darker oak stain applied by brush over the holes. This stain is darker than the natural that I use for the actual deck planking. Remember that the butt ends of the deck planking should terminate where beams would be located.

This was a wonderful and fun project. I'm certain you'll experience the same.

Good Luck.

Ron

post-31-0-46771600-1480523826_thumb.jpg

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Ron, do you have a build log of your build? She looks fantastic!!!!

Ron, very nice picture. Looks very beutiful! How did you find were to put the plank ends (locations on beams)? I see you have a pattern of 3 between the planks. Is that something that was used during this time period or just something you guessed?

What kind of varnish did you use on the hull, decks? I'm new to wooden builds so I'm trying to learn while I build, but want to get as much information as possible instead of just guessing.

Edited by zamuel_a

Don,

Thank you. No, I didn't do a Build Log. I have a handful of photos I will post in the Gallery in the next day or so. The model is truly unique looking, very colorful and has lots of interesting geometry, especially with full rigging (the mizzen and bonaventure masts with lateen yards).

From her cozy spot in my dining room, my Revenge garners quite a few comments - and questions! I'm also a history buff (like many others here) and my answers can result in mini-lectures about the defeat of the Spanish Armada! Some feel sorry they asked... :huh:

Zamuel,

Thanks also...I guessed at the deck planking pattern. On locations for plank ends, I envisioned where I would have placed beams in the real ship and then carefully measured out from a datum point which I believe I referenced to the forecastle bulkhead. I use a product called "Minwax" stain. It's petroleum-based and comes in several wood "colors." (natural, oak, cherry walnut, etc.). I mostly use the Minwax natural stain since I prefer my models to present a look of the modeling woods I use - boxwood and pear, predominantly. I replaced all the wood in the kit (with the exception of the decking) with pear or boxwood. Once dried, I hand rub a clear satin polyurethane to most stained wood surfaces. This coat has a subtle reflectance and provides a practical sealing moisture barrier.

This kit is definitely an advanced one, and I assume you have some experience. The instruction book is reasonably well done for the hull components - however,  you're on your own when it comes to the rigging sequence. Fortunately, the excellent set of plans provide a decent guide.

You've chosen a great ship model kit to build. :rolleyes:

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 2 months later...

Zamuel,

Keep in mind that you are building a model representing a vessel built in 1578, not 1788 when rules were better established. As you probably know, two ships bracketing your time period have been salvaged and excavated- Mary Rose, sunk in 1545 and your Vasa in 1628. The deck planking on these early vessels looks very haphazard by later standards with very short planks, varying widths and the presence of "drop strakes" (a wide piece of planking abutting two narrow ones).

Today, Naval Atchitects treat deck plating as a major strength element to resist longitudinal bending of the hull girder, but this was not the case in the 1600's and before. The many elevation changes caused by the many short decks fore and aft would have limited the deck's effectiveness as a strength member had builders at the time even understood the concept. The need for some sort on planking rules in the late 1500's were, therefore, not necessary, and probably not understood.

As your Revenge kit is undoubtedly a reconstruction of a historic vessel for which no plans exist use the kit materials to develop a pattern that looks convincing. No one can say that you're wrong.

Roger

Hi all

A trick/ technique that I use is to trace the 'false deck' onto paper and then draw up planks and planking pattern on it before beginning. Experiment by drawing up a shift pattern, say 4 or 5. If you are not happy with how it looks, flip over and redraw on the other side. You can then track/ check off on this pattern as you plank your deck. The image below is of the deck of my current build (HMS Bounty). Note that I have written the plank pattern near the bow and ticked off each plank as it is fitted. This technique may not be for everyone, but it helps me :)

post-1505-0-43662700-1486853952_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina