Bluenose II by Heronguy - Billing Boats Nr. 600 - Scale 1:100 - First build

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I've been rigging.  Learned a little but I'm quite tired of this model at the moment so I'm going to leave it in the drydock.

I'm not displeased with the result but I can see many areas where I will expect more from the kit and more from the kit builder in future.

I understand the many comments i read in other build logs about the rigging materials, relative sizes and attempts to be at the correct scale.  I didn't like the yarns that came with the kit so I substituted from the weaving yarn stash here at home.  I'm not very satisfied with the results but I'm not willing to cut them all off and start again.

The rigging plan that came with the kit diverged considerably from what I find on my plans for the AL Bluenose II and from the Jenson book.  I suppose part of that was an attempt to simplify the rigging given the intended audience and the scale of the model.  Unfortunately it left me without much alternatives for trying to decode the plan.  

I thought that this would be a good kit for a 1st timer (me) but would recommend to another newbie to choose a model at a larger scale to begin with.  What was nice about this particular kit was the split hull which did simplify things right at the start.  The deck furniture was not very pleasing and I've already commented on my feelings about the rigging.

I'm not going to mark this build log as finished as I may want to come back to it when I've developed some additional skill (always the optimist? - not really always)

IMG_0887.jpg.eef45d0ae273256cadcf9252f2de24b2.jpg 

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

• 1 year later...

Excellent log! Thanks so much. I've saved it so as I build mine I can read yours first. Ha Ha. This is my first attempt at building a boat an d have now got the hull finished. I'm learning so much especially as many of the Billings diagrams and instructions seem to be in code !. Watching you do the rigging fills me with dread and trepidation but onward and upward :)