1834 42ft Longboat Armed For War by BlockPlane - Scale 1:36 - Finished

Initially, my "go big or go home" way of thinking was pushing me towards a big beautiful 3 decker with an extensive built log to go with it. Fortunately, while living in this dream world I realized I didn't want to be one of those guys that starts a build and never finishes it. So instead of cutting teeth on a ship, I decide that building a boat was a more appropriate place to start. With that said, I decided on Chaloupe Armee En Guerre 1834 otherwise known as a Longboat Built For War. I purchased the plans from Ancre. They are well done and are accompanied by a 40 page method of construction booklet.

Here I am, many months in to the build and I have decided it's time to create the build log. I Initially decided to wait on the build log until I was sure I was capable of finishing. Over the next few days I will post pictures etc..until I am caught up.

Thanks to all for creating a great site to hangout in.

post-26978-0-63664500-1480608598.jpeg

post-26978-0-38621900-1480608791.jpeg

post-26978-0-54052300-1480609081.jpeg

Shaping the mold was my first challenge. Getting it right proved to be a daunting task. The picture below shows where I got a little carried away and had to add some filler to bring it back to where it needed to be.

post-26978-0-92061900-1480609158.jpeg

post-26978-0-42877300-1480610745.jpeg

post-26978-0-42372600-1480610933.jpeg

At this point I should say that I'm using Cherry to build this boat. I was able to bend the frame members by soaking them in alcohol (Gin) for a couple of minutes. For the most part, it was a pretty straight forward process. Attention to grain direction was important to getting a splinter free bend.

post-26978-0-60691800-1480610970.jpeg

post-26978-0-10303500-1480613328.jpeg

For bends that needed a little extra help, I made this make shift bending iron.

FYI, these photos seem to be a little compressed, I will try to work on that.

Chris

Looking good, Blockplane.  Welcome to MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wonderful progress.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Welcome a board (a bit late though) For a first build you've blown me off me socks, Blockplane. Your build looks superb. (A minor translation error: Chaloupe Armee En Guerre => Longboat armed for war)

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice looking start.  I'm sure you will finish with a fine boat.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

post-26978-0-67185700-1481643916_thumb.jpg

post-26978-0-63448500-1481643953_thumb.jpg

post-26978-0-52935900-1481643987_thumb.jpg

Thank you, for all the kind words and "Likes". I've decided that building a wooden boat from scratch is similar to a game of chess. Planning ones move as far out as possible is key. With that said, i would love some recommendations on how to blacken brass.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris

Chris,

There are many options to name a few:

Birchwell Casey Brass Black

Liver of Sulphur  <- copper (thanks Grant) Liver Of Sulphur (who's next ...)

Blacken It

You can find a lot more information in the Metal Work, Soldering and Metal Fittings topic

By the way, lovely work again. It seems your chess game is well planned ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

Chris,

There are many options to name a few:

Birchwell Casey Brass Black

Liver of Sulphur

Blacken It

Liver of Sulphur is great for blackening Copper, but it will not work on Brass.

Another option for blackening Brass is Jax Pewter Black, which despite the name, works very well on Brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work, I have considered building this model in the past and will continue to follow your progress closely.  I have had these plans for years.  Good luck!

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

ME TOO, I need some info on dimensions if you do not mind if I PM you do not want to clutter up this log. THANKS Don   PS YOU CAN PM ME if it is OK

Don(?)

You can get the details and the drawings at www.ancre.fr (also in English), more specifically: https://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/31-monographie-de-la-chaloupe-armee-en-guerre-1834.html

Cheers

Carl

You can't tell me this is your first wood build ... :im Not Worthy:  <drool>

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Carl,

I'm a woodworker by trade, so technically, it's not my first "wood build" but, it is my first model ship build.

Thank you for the kind works, Merry Christmas,

Chris.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

So, it's been awhile since I've posted. I have been busy making many parts, but have been hesitant to post pictures until they are fully installed. I've also been a little hesitant to glue pieces down for fear that I'm forgetting something. With that said, tonight i installed the two stern swivel stocks and some of the locker bulkheads.

post-26978-0-03051000-1483921449_thumb.jpg

post-26978-0-79868700-1483921478_thumb.jpg

Chris

You have a great build going, so I wouldn't worry about being hesitant.

I would imagine most people on the forum appreciate the detail of each step so they can see the techniques and tools used. This helps a great deal of us not only learn how to build, but also build up an armoury of ideas so we can tailor our own techniques to the resources, tools and time we have in our own models.

Seeing the finished piece certainly allows 'oohs' and 'aahs' of praise, but you'll probably find greater comment and discussion if you don't worry about having it totally correct before posting. I've certainly learned a lot more as a result of being detailed in my logs about each step and each mistake.

Tony

I'm loving the look of this and what Tony said goes for me also.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)