1834 42ft Longboat Armed For War by BlockPlane - Scale 1:36 - Finished

• 2 weeks later...

The way I look at it, Chris, you should do what and while you can reach it easily. At a later stadium you often need to put far more energy, and creativity in the job at hand, to get it done, whilst it would be a jiffy when tackled at the right moment. That and the probable unnecessary damage you may cause ...

You can start on the canon, though, just don't mount it if you're not finished with some other jobs on the inside of the hull.

I am very much looking forward to your updates. A wonderful build!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

After some trial and error, the rudder is complete. Shaping and drilling little brass pieces on a large wood lathe is a little less then ideal but do able with some patients and extra material. I also purchased a few gadgets to help hold those small annoying little parts during soldering.

post-26978-0-38075100-1486467431_thumb.jpg

post-26978-0-64414600-1486467505_thumb.jpgpost-26978-0-64867900-1486467737_thumb.jpg

Chris

Cog, Thank you very much.

Regarding a mast and the oars, the plans don't show them. In fact, I have researched this boat in other build logs and don't recall seeing a mast either. Archjofo built an absolutely beautiful rendition of this boat. I will scroll through his build log and see.

Chris

Ancre publishes the rigging and sail plan for €18. It's written in French, but I don't think that's an issue with understanding the plans. You can find it at http://gerard.delacroix.pagesperso-orange.fr/Chaloupe_greement/plaquette.htm. The plans were being given away free with the Rochefort monograph for a while, but I think that has now stopped.

Tony

Ancre publishes the rigging and sail plan for €18. It's written in French, but I don't think that's an issue with understanding the plans. You can find it at http://gerard.delacroix.pagesperso-orange.fr/Chaloupe_greement/plaquette.htm. The plans were being given away free with the Rochefort monograph for a while, but I think that has now stopped.

Tony

Hello,

The complement "Rigging and sails" is not published by Ancre but by its author to the address that you indicated.

Blockplane, good job.

GD

Edited by G. Delacroix

My apologies, Gérard! I had forgotten these were independently sold!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues, slowly. As the end of the build draws near I decided to get the case out of the way. I originally planned on making the case out of Plexy Glass but decided glass was a better fit. It took a fair amount of trial and error to get to a point where I was comfortable. The process of wrapping the glass with copper tape, burnishing and applying the solder was tedious. Im happy with the end result and feel it adds a more classical feel to the model. 

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4300.JPG

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

The main canon is in place and fully rigged. I also built the cradle that the boat will sit in. I initially did some reach to find an image of a period correct cradle, but in the end, I just designed my own. 

Yesterday, i turned the four small 1lb. canons.  They came out ok. Turning pieces that small on a full size lathe and getting all the canons to look identical is a challenge. 

Practice makes perfect. 

Chris 

IMG_4343.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4355.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

Chris

She's looking good, Chris.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you Carl,

Still working on the small canons. I'm not 100% happy with how they compare to one another. I will probably end up making a few more.  I'm planning on adding oars and a few canon accessories. I will say that the finishing touches are hard when your mind starts wandering towards the next build. 

:pirate41:Chris 

Chris

Chris,

I know, I'm still pondering on how to continue with the Dolphyn I'm building. Someway I can't decide what to do with her. That's why there are so many people building multiple models ...

I don't mind, I'll just have to wait ;)

Cheers

Carl

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hey howya goin Chris, a fine job there mate a fine job. Love the way you did the stand.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.