Fokker DR 1 by Torbogdan - FINISHED

Well done! I particularly like the map on the base. And that’s an interesting tip about “nothing parallel to the edge on a diorama”.

1 hour ago, gjdale said:

Well done! I particularly like the map on the base. And that’s an interesting tip about “nothing parallel to the edge on a diorama”.

Thanks! The reason (according to Shepard Paine, legendary diorama builder) is that if objects are parallel to the edge it plays a "mind trick" and it looks like the scene is constrained by the frame. It is difficult to "imagine" that the diorama is a snapshot/cut out of reality and goes on outside the diorama. With things parallel it looks like the scene is made to fit inside the frame (I hope I'm not too unclear;))

I find it very good advice. Just moving objects a few degrees of 90 degrees makes a huge difference. Of course it doesn't matter if a few small things are parallel but major focus points like vehicles, roads, houses, railroad tracks, fences and such should not be parallel.

• 1 year later...

great looking model.......the display adds a really nice touch :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build and great presentation the medal is a nice touch! What’s next?😎

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 4 weeks later...

Long time no posts😀

I'm currently working in country where there is no possibility to do any modeling. But late summer 2020 I will be back in civilization!

So to prepare for that I have started to scout for suitable models!

Back home on the workbench Occres Cazador Is waiting, but I think about Billings HMS Renown. That is a small quick easy build of an interesting boat/ship.

I also, by mistake, found out about Artesanias Sopwith Camel in 1:16 scale. As soon as I saw it I got a tightness in my chest and I know I will build it sometime. Sometimes things get into my mind and stays there as a small nagging feeling that won't go away until I have given into it. Seeing that model Is one of those obsessive thoughts...

So already a few years worth of building plans laid out... Planning, dreaming and waiting is really the best part of the hobby!

look'in forward to your return! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Outstanding job on your Hasegawa DrI...and like the others I like the map for the base (and the Pour Le Merite).  Years and years ago (as in 1984) I was in Tokyo and got one of the Hasegawa DrI kits at a great price because of the yen-dollar exchange rate at the time.  But at that time I was living overseas (Saudi Arabia, then Kuwait, then Oman, then Mexico, then Japan) well as as starting a family.  I just figured I'd never be able to do the kit justice. 

So it was stored away until 2003 when I was in the US for a sabbatical.  I sold it on eBay and used the money to get into RC scale building and flying.  But I still have that strong attraction to the DrI (same as every WWI buff).  Eventually, I couldn't come up with any more excuses do I started to scratch-build one based on Joseph Nieto drawings.  I was making slow progress, but ended up being side-tracked into other projects.  I hope to get back to it eventually.

where-I-am-2.jpg