Poor results with carpenters glue

So far on my little build I've been using carpenter's glue, specifically this brand:

http://www.lepage.ca/en/lepage-products/pva-glue-wood-glue/carpenters-glue.html

I thought things were going well until it came time to take off the temporary keel guides/holders which were spot glued to the building frame: they popped right off with I think far too little effort! The wood itself was not damaged at all: the separation was cleanly at the glue interface. This doesn't seem right for a glue which is supposed to have tonnes (literally) of holding strength.

The only thing I can figure (and this is just a guess) is that the margin of error on the clamping force is too narrow. The fine print says to use "50 to 150 psi" and "Avoid excessive pressure,which will result in starved glue joints." How on earth am I supposed to gauge what my array of clothes, binder, and dollar store clamps are doing?!? :)

So, topics for conversation:

- What am I doing wrong

- What should I be using instead.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice. Sadly I've already got the shear and garbords in place using this stuff and am now terrified. :)

Edited by Sunsanvil

Typically when gluing wood with such glue, you spread glue evenly over the surface to be glued and clamp until it just comes out of the seam.  To much and you "starve the joint" that is, you squeeze out all the glue.

It's not odd at all that a couple of spots will easily break free considering there's very little relative bearing surface involved.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

To address your problem, I really would like to be able to address you by some name, even if you make one up.  What do we call you?

Aliphatic (carpenter's) glue is by far the most useful for wood to wood based on many many responses here at MSW and in my own experience.   I assume you had a clean surface on each piece.   Gaging clamping pressure?  I try to use clamping or  weights that would be the equivalent to modestly hard finger pressure.  Too little, too much, not good.    If you are having to really  force things together with clamps or a lot of weight, the fit is bad, not the glue. Just one opinion. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

If I read this correctly: you are concerned about PVA-yellow having too weak a bond based on a temporary

bond being reversed too easily?

First - I think you were lucky that it reversed without major damage.  A different type of glue would be more suited

for the temp function -  although spot and IsoOH to dissolve would work - I just would tend to use too big a spot.

If both surfaces are totally covered before bonding, I think the "joint starve" problem is a fiction.

The glue works by undergoing a chemical reaction - polymerization - as it dries.  It essentially forms a plastic material.

With wood, I am very skeptical that all of the glue could be squeezed out - the wood fibers would crush at the clamp face

before that happened. 

The stronger the clamping force- the stronger the bond.  Although it is not realistic, the bond would be best if a single chain

could reach both wood surfaces.  A bigger problem is the nature of the wood surface. More bite is better.  I suspect that

my compulsion to use 220 grit is right at the point of the surface being too smooth.

With planking - I doubt too much force is a practical problem - too little is much more likely.

The wood surface should be free of any substance that could interfere with the penetration of the micro chains of polyvinyl as they

assemble.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks all for your thoughts.

If I read this correctly: you are concerned about PVA-yellow having too weak a bond based on a temporary

bond being reversed too easily?

Well, now that you put it that way... :)

But seriously, those temp-tabs were put on the same way I've done everything else: apply glue, clamp, let dry. The concern which hit me this morning was that if all 8 of those popped off with such relative ease, what does that say about all the other assemblies I've done to date? I wonder if I need to take more care in terms of surface preparation or something.

B

Weldbond is a good glue, it can be used with porous and non-porous materials and dries clear

What was the wood species?  Some exotics have resins or oils that can prevent bonding, and the usual maneuvers are to glue freshly cut/abraded surfaces and/or wipe with acetone to remove surface residues.  

A reversible wood glue that forms very tight rigid bonds is good old hot hide glue. One use for hide glue is to chip glass for decorative effects.  After drying, chipping it off will result in a chip of the glass coming away with the glue.

Maybe you got a bad batch of glue. I use Lepages Pro Carpenter's Glue and I love it.  I find it to be incredible for holding strength and work time.  The only time when I had issues was when I didn't have full coverage.  You need to make sure the piece being glued has glue fully on all mating surfaces.  When I didn't the piece would break away pretty easily.  However, so far, that has worked to my advantage.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Are you pre-bending your planks, or are they simply sprung into place? You really need to pre-shape them using heat and/or moisture.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Everything is pre-shaped. The shear broke away at the stern while I was bending/fitting the next plank: just pushing the next plank against it was apparently too much for it, which seems absurd.

And in any event, the temp tabs which I mentioned at the onset were flat pieces of wood glued to flat wood. When I took those off I expected the tiny strip of wood to break, not pop off cleanly.

This is turning into quite a mystery.

Maybe you got a bad batch of glue. I use Lepages Pro Carpenter's Glue and I love it.

Can you do a quick experiment for me: put a blob of it on something like a paint pallet or peice of tin foil.  Next morning, whats it like?

Mine seems to be very "brittle". As I recall (which I grant is imperfect) other PV type glues I've used in the past all dried to a somewhat supple/resilient blob.

Expecting that all PVA brands should behave in a similar way:

I use Titebond II - I squeeze a working quantity onto a piece of

wax paper.  The left over material goes from an opaque tan/cream

to a clear amber an no matter how many layers build up - ( I use the

same piece of wax paper for a long time)  the dried and polymerized

glue is flexible.  If what you have is brittle when dried - it is likely a bad

lot. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

When I do leave glue on wax paper it tends to dry and remain slightly pliable, certainly not brittle.  I will gladly do your experiment tonight and post results with pictures tomorrow.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

So here are my results.  Yesterday I made a small pile of glue on wax paper

post-26154-0-80141300-1481391676_thumb.jpg

I let it dry for approximately 16 hours.  Here is the dried pile of glue

post-26154-0-82277400-1481391677_thumb.jpg

And as you can see, it has remained plialble

post-26154-0-17725500-1481391679_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

even if you make one up.  What do we call you?

Looks like B cryptic still but B is better than nothing.

I would agree that your batch of glue sounds like it has a problem, it might have been frozen at some time in the past, either by the retailer of somewhere else along the line, My glue does exactly the same thing as Derek's sample.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

So here are my results.

Thanks for that!

I wonder, was yours fully cured though?

I got my hands on a completely different bottle from a friend. Did several blob tests. Both bottle yielded the same results:

Left overnight: still pliable.

After a full 24 hours +: Fractured into hard pieces.

Bad ju ju at my house? :)

Thanks for that!

I got my hands on a completely different bottle from a friend. Did several blob tests. Both bottle yielded the same results:

I am thinking, and I don't mean to sound rude, please believe me, but for the small price of a new bottle of glue, why not just replace it? It seems we have tried to help you yet you still seem to continue testing your glue thinking that perhaps it will yield better results at some time.  Perhaps try another brand or type.  Mine probably wasn't 100% cured but we are now splitting hairs.  I love the glue I use and wouldn't consider changing it.  By the way, I probably bought the bottle three years ago and it still works like a charm.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Thanks for that!

I am thinking, and I don't mean to sound rude, please believe me, but for the small price of a new bottle of glue, why not just replace it? It seems we have tried to help you yet you still seem to continue testing your glue thinking that perhaps it will yield better results at some time.  Perhaps try another brand or type.  Mine probably wasn't 100% cured but we are now splitting hairs.  I love the glue I use and wouldn't consider changing it.  By the way, I probably bought the bottle three years ago and it still works like a charm.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I am thinking, and I don't mean to sound rude, please believe me, but for the small price of a new bottle of glue, why not just replace it?

Like I said, I did get a hold of another bottle, and found it interesting that it was no different than the first. Makes me wonder if the temp or RH in my craft room is a factor. Next step will be a completely different brand but I'm still interested in the science behind this stuff and why not one but two bottles of LePage (sourced over a year apart mind you so they are definitely not from the same batch) behave differently for me compared to yourself.

Edited by Sunsanvil