Landlocked123

Thimbles

Hi All,

I Was captivated by Chuck's thimbles on his Cheerfull build log and went so far as to to order the thin walled Albion brass tube. I wish, though I'd paid more attention to the size of the thimbles he created with the 1.5mm tubes. Unfortunately, I was hoping to use them with the shackles I made. They will not fit on to those thimbles. Does anyone have other ideas on how to make thimbles larger than Chuck's? Thanks.I'm

Best, John

mtaylor likes this

Thanks Chuck,

I don't know if it's that easy. The 1.5mm micro tube has a 1.3mm ID which equates to a wall thickness of 0.1mm. I think I need a 4mm tube and the only Albion brass tubes in that I could find in that size come nested as a 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm set. I think that means the the wall thickness would be 0.5mm. Do you think that walls that thick can peen over as easily and evenly as the 1.5mm tube? I bought the tubes at Sprue Brothers. Are there other suppliers of Albion tubing that may have a greater selection?

Thanks,

John

mtaylor likes this

Absolutely......they dont even need to be thin walled.  I have made thimbles and flared regular brass tubing that was 1/8 or 3/32" in diameter with no trouble at all.   Brass is very soft.  Just buy any K&S brass tube and you can do it with the right sizes blunt punch.

See this

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Confed/Chapter12.pdf

Read pages 3 and 4.

Chuck

mtaylor, Canute and Ryland Craze like this

Thanks Again Chuck,

I have some tubing on hand and will give it try. If I pull it off I'll post a picture.

Best,

John

ps What is the model in the instructions you attached in your post. Thx.

mtaylor likes this

Hi.

John here's my tip, fast and cheap.

Take a piece of relatively soft wire at a thickness close to the side of the thimble you want to create.

By the "side" I mean the part of the thimble that it will stay uncovered when the thread (rope) is placed. 

Fold the wire in two pieces and make a loop around a rod in a proper - required diameter.

Cut the rest of the wire and apply some ca glue between the formed loops.

Then with a fine file,  make flat  the curved edges at the side and you've have your thimble...

Thx

post-617-0-27399000-1481504447_thumb.jpg

I agre with Chuck, I just made some thimbles from standard hobby shop K &S brass tubing although I used a somewhat different method- I hadn't seen his post at the time. From some solid brass round bar I machined male and female dies. The male die was just a cylinder with a nipple machined on one end. The diameter of the nipple a slip fit for the id of the brass tube thimble stock.. I left a small radius between at the shoulder between the nipple and the round bar. As long as the diameter of the round bar is larger than the of of the brass tubing the actual diameter is unimportant.

The female die was just the same round bar stock with a hole center drilled. The diameter of rhe hole a slip fit with the male die nipple.

To make,a thimble,I first chucked the tubing in my lathe's head stock with only a sixteenth or so protruding. I chucked the male die in the tail stock. After turning on the lathe I fed the male die into the hole in the tubing. When the shoulder between the nipple and the round bar came in contact with the tubing it flared it. I then parted it off with a razor saw.

I then reversed the piece of tubing on the male die so that the flared end was pointing towards the lathe headstock, and I chucked the female die in the headstock. I started up the lathe and fed the male die into the female die, flaring the second end.

It was much easier than it sounds.

Roger

mtaylor, biltut and Canute like this

Thanks Thanasis. I will also give that technique a try. BTW Chuck though it's a bit beyond my current skill set, are there plans available to build the Confederacy fully rigged?

Best,

John

mtaylor and Canute like this

Thanks Roger.

I do hope it is easier than it sounds. Frankly, without pictures I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Nevertheless, I appreciate your help.

Best,

John

Canute and mtaylor like this

Hi Guys,

Well I finally got my act together and made some thimbles using Chuck's techniques shown on the the Cheerful build log. Like so many other things in this avocation, it is both easier and harder than it seems.

Once I got the "touch" and made the appropriate sized blunt points to turn the collar it was easy to knock out bunches of them. The smallest thimble is made from Albion 1.5 mm thin walled brass tube. Chuck made the point that this stuff is very soft and easy to cut (there's a link to a video on the Cheerful log). This actually gave me more trouble than any other aspect of making these. I knew I was working with metal and it took a long time before I found out just how much of a soft touch it took. I was using so much pressure that not only did I cut the tube, but I scored the brass rod I had inserted into the tube. With the K&S I had on hand, I didn't have much luck rolling against the exacto blade, so I used a jeweler's saw to cut the blanks.

I made two blunt points of different sizes to roll the collars out of some steel common nails. I cut off the heads, chucked them into my drill press, used a file to create a rounded cone, and polished with some sand paper. A few light taps on the mandrel and done.

Best,

John

Ps. This was my first shot at seizing the eyes and I used some some of #8 synthetic fly tying thread. Neither CA or diluted PVA would stick to it and the clove hitches I used wouldn't hold. Next time around I used some #8 Unithread.....much better. J.

post-18302-0-32680300-1485129018.jpeg

post-18302-0-23856700-1485129317.jpeg

Jack12477, BANYAN, mtaylor and 4 others like this

I have been very happy with Flexament cement for securing fly tying line. It's like a diluted rubber cement.

mtaylor likes this

JD,

I've used Flexament extensively, but it tends to sit on the surface of the threads and obscure the threads themselves. It's fine to create a head of the fly, but I would prefer to see the seizings. So Unithread with either 50/50 white glue and water or CA would be my first choice.

Best,

John

mtaylor likes this

I recommend heat-softening K&S brass tubing before cutting and flanging it. Heat to cherry red and air cool.

mtaylor likes this

Another perhaps limited way of making thimbles other than the rather complex method that I highlighted in my pilot cutter build

This is using some of the wire guadians findings that some of the craft stores carry. (it took forever to find the correct terminology, because I discarded the package a year ago)

post-202-0-25881200-1485194187_thumb.jpg

This next picture shows the closed tube at the end of one side filed open

post-202-0-65455500-1485194291.jpg

The guardian was held in one of my assortment of clamps for my third hand for filing with a sanding stick.

post-202-0-44891700-1485194427_thumb.jpg

Next it was fitted with some rope (this was some polyester upholstery thread that i twisted a year or so ago)

post-202-0-55966500-1485194565_thumb.jpg

A quick and dirty result, no where near as prototypical as Chuck's work, but an alternative way of creating the thimbles.

post-202-0-14058400-1485194683.jpg

I hope this gives some ideas for all you great riggers out there.

Michael