Dirty Dozen Abalone Fishing Boat by xken - Finished

Would the netting from sacks of fruit suffice? For example either those bags of tangerines or garlic sacks? Then just wrap with string around a metal ring. The part I am not sure about would be how long the bag is? Guessing 18-24 inches in length? And at least a foot in diameter.

Yeeooochh... more storm.  Looks like here it's tonight through Thursday.  Same for you.  Hopefully, you'll just get some rain and not the winds.

Netted basket..  How about a lantern mantle painted the proper color?  The other alternative is to hit Micheal's or Hobby Lobby and nose about the doll house, jewelry, and maybe the small decorative items areas.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Glad you have power back on.  Hope you can stay home through this next round of storms. 

I'm curious to know how all the boats in the bay made it through the storm.  Hope not too many were lost.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Mark, thanks I checked out Michael's already with no luck. I may try a grocery store for small netting per Brian's suggestion.

Bob, just back from my morning walk and all boats are still floating, WindWalker is all buttoned up. The tide was out and only a couple of tourists walking that were speaking French. Once the big rain drops started I did an about face and headed for the car as fast as I could hobble. So far the weather is holding but that can change rather quickly around here with the Pineapple Express hitting us.

Thanks for all your comments! 

Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Congratulations on the completion of Dirty Dozen Ken.  It turned out just great - the diving suit is amazing.  Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, thanks! I have been busy getting roof quotes to replace the entire roof per insurance company. I have been adding shroud lines and just finished up the lower main mast. In the meantime, the Museum folks came through with an authentic gathering net and 1/2" to 5/8" small abalone shells from the abalone farm north of us. I just could not find a suitable netting to replicate the original net so my wife offered to tie one up using a macrame technique and as far as I am concerned she did a great job of tying it up. I finished it off and it was a fantastic team effort that should please the museum. Here is a sequence showing how we fabricated the net. 

58c43a66c16da_Gatheringnet01.thumb.jpg.b802cf02c13a477e17e011ba38bc1ed7.jpg

58c43a7c3577e_Gatheringnet02.thumb.jpg.e6305755d5824c795ff043853af5f64f.jpg

58c43a9c5ebfe_Gatheringnet03.thumb.jpg.f724575bbc8212b2e27800484fe83e71.jpg

58c43ab196d93_Gatheringnet04.thumb.jpg.130df45d7c4d48110c4e201f4f395342.jpg

58c43ace9755b_Gatheringnet05.thumb.jpg.78ab1de9b60f9b1272ab865045029423.jpg

58c43af200146_Gatheringnet06.thumb.jpg.832e433ad5dc8de5864c88fb16b0f8d7.jpg

Now to test some Sculpty clay in the shells to make abalone as caught. Also back to shroud lines.

QUESTION: Should the ratlines be Black or Brown I have seen both versions? Options please.

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Great looking net, Ken.  And good luck on getting the roof done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jon, I really meant on the Constitution shroud ratlines. Sorry for any confusion. I have been working back and forth on both builds.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Last night was the first public display of the Dirty Dozen at the Maritime Museum's annual conference. It was very well received by all with lots of compliments. I had also made a crate and net full of scale abalone using real seeding abalone shells that were donated by the local abalone farm. Sculpty was used to fill them and baked in place.

591356df052d7_Abalonecrate.thumb.jpg.287ea11c7ef132d75cce7d3005a10ff7.jpg

Here is the display setup for the meeting, along with local artifacts,including a window pane with diver pictures taped in place. The little schooner is the Benjamin Latham that has been donated to the museum. 

591356efacba1_AnnualBoardMeeting.thumb.jpg.a71159a3840a8457c29da8212f28ea79.jpg

591356fad6c43_AnnualBoardMeeting01.thumb.jpg.ccb5670f49845b51d3f2f654c6d0a302.jpg

Now to store it until the museum opens, this fall is the target date assuming the permitting process flows smoothly.

Ken

• 11 months later...

The final chapter for the Dirty Dozen at home in the Morro Bay Maritime Museum display. Tonight will be the Patrons Preview of the museum. but still a work "in Progress" until the official opening in October during the Morro Bay Harbor Festival. They are now talking of reviving the Landing Craft and now a Clipper ship the "South American" built in Boston and launched by Smith and Townsend in 1876. "In her early life was considered the finest wooden sailing ship afloat" a quote from "American Merchant Ships" page 316. "The figurehead was a finely carved Amazon." She was 245 feet long, beam of 41.6 feet with a depth of hold 25 feet and registered at 1,694 tons. If anyone has more information or pictures I would greatly appreciate any help. The museum was donated a painting, artifacts and letters from one of her Captain's passed down through the family.

If ever in Morro Bay make a point of visiting our small but ever growing museum.

5ae3486f04048_MaritimeMuseum01.thumb.jpg.b63c50a81055d06da530137ea8c69a42.jpg

5ae3487be7757_MaritimeMuseum02.thumb.jpg.76bdc90abaa0a14157498c3f8fe9bb2d.jpg

5ae3488f216ce_MaritimeMuseum03.thumb.jpg.d8981e506bb3eda8b5e3cd44b0967f87.jpg

What will be neat, is to see again the original builder again tonight. At one time Morro Bay was the world capital of abalone fishing.

Ken