Thermopylae by popeye the sailor - Sergal - 1:124 scale

sorry I haven't been in the last couple of days........I came down with a stomach bug.   ......I guess that was the mysterious illness that's been going around up in this neck of the woods........the doctor mentioned it to me when I was down with my past illness.   of course,  I didn't have any of the symptoms then.

I did make a little bit of progress....now that I'm back up and running,  I will post it shortly   :)

you are correct John,  this one is a three piston pump.   when I post what I've done,  I will show you what the diagram of the pump looks like.   I'm glad you showed me your pictures.......the diagram doesn't show the piston connecting rods for the pump wells.   thank you good sir   :)

thank you for the likes  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I had pictures in the camera for this build as well.  I did get to dry fit the winch assembly.......and then it was assembled.  I put 'er up next to a penny to show just how big it is.

post-612-0-07075100-1487363723.jpg

the idea I had carried over to the skylight roof parts.   I have one of 'em done here.

post-612-0-31678300-1487363788.jpg

they are both done now.  as I figured would happen,  there is some minor scratches.   I think a coat of lacquer will hide them though.  we'll see what happens....the boxes are next,  right along with the three holds.  I know........I wasn't very kind in my description of the bilge pump.   I'll let the diagram speak for itself.....

post-612-0-56924300-1487364072.jpg

these are the parts that will make up the pump.   the first thing will be to drill out the cylinders.....they need a bit more depth and for the mouth to be a bit larger.  then,  I'll see what I can do about that straight line they call a shaft.   ......and they rolled the brass up.......hate it when they do that.

post-612-0-24814800-1487364391.jpg

I assembled it while I was visiting here today.......fair bit of multi-tasking.  I'll show you what I came up with when I get back..........now that I'm back on my feet,  I'm not immune to errands anymore. 

"take care of those you call your own,  and keep good company!"       >Queen<

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye, now we know how big the dolly winch is compared to a penny - but how big is the penny? :)

John

About 6" across. I keep telling everyone these are too big and damned inconvenient to carry, but do they listen to me? Nooooo

Real answer - .750"/19.05mm

as you can see by my posting on a Sunday.......I did not go to work.   I'm still battling the effects of the stomach bug.   I won't go into too much detail.......distasteful as it is,  let's just say,  that after two days,  I'm back up and running again.

the one good day I had did result in a bit of progress........the other day was spent at work on Saturday.......by the end of the day though.......I was hoping that the little blue pill I took,  would wear off!.    to dress up the pump,   I ended up doing a few attempts,  bending the shaft to accept the three connecting rods.   I had drilled out the cylinders to give them more room.

post-612-0-05881600-1487504353.jpg

when I had one that was reasonable enough,  brass eye bolts were used as connecting rods.....a little tedious to get them all in order.   it still needs to be trimmed.......but at least it is now assembled.

post-612-0-17952800-1487504672.jpg

thanks for your patience.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Lovely work on getting the winch and pumps together. The extra effort you're putting in is definitely worthwhile.

Hope the bug has left you for good and that you're feeling much better now.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thank you all for the kind comments and all the likes!   yes Sam......there should be tiny handles on the wheels.   I may try and add something to that effect before I paint it.   a lot of the detail was missing........I must study the Masters of Mini.   and draw from them ;) 

thanks John......with an example like that,  how could I miss :D    thanks my friend!

thanks Bob :) 

thanks Patrick........yes,  I'm feeling much better.   the admiral can tell......I'm eating everything in sight!   {forget about the losing weight part earlier........I was just pull'in my own leg! :D  }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye.

May I join you on your quest to build the Thermopylae? I am not an especially experienced model builder, but I did complete it last week, after a couple of years of sporadic spurts of enthusiasm with gaps of other worldly interruptions.

I agree that it is fiddly. I feel that I could now do key-hole surgery :).

I do not have a build log as such. I do have some photos to share at different stages. I am happy to share my limit experience.

P1110842.JPG

Hello Zoltan..........yes,  I am feeling so much better....thanks for the well wish.   yes,  it has been a rough couple of weeks......not fun when I had to work through last week end.   but I did get some tinker time in this week...something I haven't felt like doing.

hello George....welcome to the site.  I hope your finding your way around OK.   also,  welcome to the log.......I see you've persevered with one of these kits :)    I've mostly dabbled with Billing kits,  so this one is an introduction to another manufacturer.  I really don't want to say it,  but I will.........if you did the rigging to the diagram,  then you may want to redo the braces........the diagram is wrong.

reading back in this log,  you'll read all about it......and a link will show you a good example of this vessel.   hate to pop the bubble,  but this is stuff we've already found out about this kit.  I plan to add some missing bits,  the correct rigging,  and bash this kit a little.   if you have pictures,  or something you did while building her,  by all means post it........all info is useful ;)  you built it,  and proved that the kit makes a darn good looking vessel out of the box :)  

I was at the point of making the boxes for the holds and the skylight.   the boxes didn't come out so good........using CA and having to scrape them off the table........well,  you can say they didn't fare out too good.   I will have to redo them.   the skylight came out OK though.   I made up the end walls........2 copies,  and put the metal one together.   it still needs to either have mahogany put on it,  or paint it......haven't decided which yet,  but the open glass concept looks good.

#1.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have an idea as to what I want to do with the roofs.   for the galley roof,  it was bordered off with mahogany.....even around the skylight.  I still need to fill in the front walls and the companionway,  but the roof is a good start.   the skylight opening was made larger,  and the inside will be painted.   I'm planning to use window maker for the glass,  so it will be clear.   there won't be much to see anyway,  but the trouble will be worth it.

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the last thing I did here,  was case in around the edges of the roof.   inside the border will be filled in with light pine colored 0.5 x 2 strip........I wish I had 1 mm strip.

#4.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good, Popeye.  By the way, I think you'll find that the galley was in the forward deckhouse.  The after accommodation would be the main cabin - the Master's and Officers' quarters.  You might also like to check the heights of the companion and the skylight against contemporary sources - they look a bit high to me.

John

How did I not know you were building this?

this tiny stuff is so awesome!

thanks all for the kind word and to those who hit the like button.  it feels good to be back tinkering again.   while I was play'in with the aft cabin,  I thought about the main deck structure and figured I'd throw that roof into the mix too.   I need to add the doors to it as well,  so this will be as good a time as any.

sorry 'bout that John.........I've always know that structure as the galley....I'll stick to aft cabin in the future ;)    in regards to the companionway and the skylight.......I cut the companionway parts from the original parts,  tracing them out on sheet basswood.   assembled here......the two aft cabin companionways have about a 0.5 mm difference in height.   looks like it might be a hatchet job to me.  as for the skylight,  I wasn't keen on the roof pitch,  but to drop it any more than what it is now,  would make it wider than the plans.......I already adjusted the size of the roof hole to accommodate it.  as mentioned......some of the part scale sizes are off.......not much I can do with them.  what I can do with the skylight,  is sand the bottom and drop the height that way.   Footnote:   since taking Gibbs out,  some form of redo is in the works.

this is what you get when you put a Revell Thermopylae on your Christmas list Sean.   the scale seems to be my biggest throwback,  with the kit itself with it's own assortment of pho-pars.  we'll see what me and my limited talent can do with this model :) 

thanks Vossie........we'll see how it looks after the adjustments I make ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great work my friend  looking really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

nice work Denis,

that bilge pump on deck looks great !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks for the positive comments....and to all who hit the like button.   the work week is done.......I've been sitting at the computer today,  catching up on news and stuff.........all the while,  dressing out the main deck structure.   one more part to go,  then perhaps a light stain for the roof......and then I can give it a coat of lacquer.   I'm still making adjustments to the aft cabin......I've marked out the roof for planking.   I'm sure I have a picture or two in the camera......I'll see if I can scare them up for you :) 

thanks OC.......and glad to be back Patrick.

thanks Nils........but I haven't gotten to see it on the deck yet ;)    I really need to get to the hull and start flesh'in her out.   I do feel that the bilge pump is out of scale.......but that's what I got in the kit,  so there's little I can do about it.  I will simply have to live with it.   thanks for the good word :) 

thanks Zoltan......it's one of the things I'm improving on.  it will look even better once I get the rest of the roof done.   we shall see ;) 

thanks Lawrence.....I think just about everyone built this vessel in one form or another.   glad to have you following along ;) 

I'll get 'em on there somehow Sam ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sorry 'bout that........got too keyed into what I was doing.   I was supposed to see if I had any last week pictures for you........what a terrible host I am.   on the bright side.......I did take a few pictures of yesterday's progress.......so I can post them too.   there were a couple of pictures in the camera.........I managed to remove the companionway from the aft cabin,  without damaging it.   I will drop the height of the companionway and the skylight.   the skylight is easy........simply sand away at the bottom and drop the height that way.   the companionway is a bit different.......I'll have to drop it by sanding the nitch,  where it attaches to the cabin.   during that process,  the unthinkable happened.........it split in half.  I was able to repair it and resume.   work in progress..........I'm not used to doing this redo stuff ;) 

#5.jpg

#6.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I must have been like a one armed paper hanger yesterday...........trying to catch up here,  and tinkering with the structures.   I decided to get the main deck cabin roof done.   first,  was to edge it all around with the dark mahogany.......including the outer edges.  the kit supplies 0.5 x 2 mm blonde strips......I've read where the common choice for decking was yellow pine,  so I went with this scheme.

I was going to do calking between the planks,  but figured that it might not look right,  so I didn't.   once the roof was planked over,  it was lightly sanded and given a wash of some light stain.....I let it totally soak in.  then it got a coat of semi gloss lacquer......it will get another coat later,  when the first coat is dry.   I also fitted the fore and aft doors on the cabin as well.   the plank line do show up slightly........probably due to the slight infusion of mahogany dust.   works for me ;) 

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I also took a couple of progress pictures of the companionway and the aft cabin.   it's all back together and the roof is done.  I still need to apply the stain and do the companionway roof,  but here is how it looks now.

for the skylight.......once I had it sanded down to where I wanted it,  I decided to give the sides a coat of med flat green.   I also did the companionway the same way.   I kinda fancy this color...I've used it on a couple of my past builds.  combined with a compatible brown,  it make for a great color scheme.  I think it will work well here.   once dry,  the window panes were filled in with the window maker.   I used a razor blade to remove the excess from the roof frames.  now they need to dry,  where it will become clear.

#4.jpg

#5.jpg

#6.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did a bit more to the skylight this morning.......of course now....I had to wait for the windows to dry.   during that time,  I did the roof for the companionway.

58c04e29512a9_1.jpg.a1faeefa46acec9e7882b6c633c1f89e.jpg

...and a little bit later .......

58c04e45f36f6_2.jpg.6c2d784f79373a0b927ad0d9b6428f31.jpg

58c04e89bcff4_3.jpg.3d05a89eee318883d47c84b1589893e5.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

from this point,  the aft cabin got a coat of lacquer

58c04f26b68ba_4.jpg.c17997963d9b01c3a69688db164b219a.jpg

58c04f35e474f_5.jpg.40863d90b4db4a03ab0b5f326d47c1ab.jpg

I still need to add the bottom bits of mahogany......

58c04f48eb962_6.jpg.d461d433047b7917c1b3809631cfb405.jpg

58c04f7f671f4_7.jpg.715f2aa08c3ec971014b94c8218d2507.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the skylight was added when it was dry enough.   this is the best I can do about the scale issue.   I also took care of the corner issues with the main deck cabin........it  can be seen in the last picture in the upper left.   the corners were filled in with thin strip mahogany and sanded square........then touched up with gold paint.   the holds are the next to do........perhaps I can save what I have done so far on them....if not,  then I'll have to make new boxes.

58c0543023b3c_8.jpg.9604e4f90190909539a08304f83e7a2b.jpg

58c05440db942_9.jpg.618dac36098c4e7d1d2dfc1f999f794d.jpg

as with the main deck cabin,  mahogany dust got into the planking and defined the calking a little.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: